NFL Steroids Worse 20 Years Ago?

As I was doing some research for a paper, I came across a passage in one of the many articles I was reading tonight. Don’t waste your time on the article(MSN) just check out this one paragraph:

"NFL locker rooms 20 years ago looked like Mr. Universe conventions. Muscles were definitely in.

It?s a different world in the NFL today. You don?t see the 300-pound guys with 3 percent body fat anymore. You get caught doing steroids, it?s a four-game suspension for the first offense. It?s not worth it."

What do you think? I’m not sure I would agree with that. I think it would probably be the opposite. But hey, testing is tighter (lol.

Does anyone think that steroids used to be more prevalent in the NFL?

Yes…

Especially with the linemen. Back in the day it was a challenge to keep a lineman healthy all season long do to steroid related pulls, strains, and sprains.

Tony Mandarich is a good example.
Well, maybe not, he just sucked.

Nowadays you see these players lasting all season long through better training, flexability, and nutrition.

I’m kind of skeptical. Just because guys aren’t getting caught, doesn’t mean the NFL doesn’t have a steroid issue to rival baseball’s. But of course, former NFL players like Mark Schlereth get self-righteous as hell about it on TV.

I believe it. Way back then steroids were legal, so everyone was on them.

Now that they are illegal in society and with the NFL doing drug testing and suspension for steroids I believe fewer players are using steroids.

Just look at the physiques. 20 years ago the linemen were lean and muscular. Now they are carrying tons of bodyfat.

I do believe that many still likely use steroids, but not nearly as many as in the old days.

This is a joke. The only difference between now and then is linemen are on steroids AND fat. There was an article not long ago (damnit, I wish I had the link) that did a comparison on playing weight 20 years ago versue today. What thay found was pretty astonishing. I can’t remember the year (I’m pretty sure it was in the 80’s because they talked about Fridge a lot), but at one time there were only a handful of guys topping 300 (Fridge for example, was considered a behemoth; biggest guy in the league of his time). 400 was unheard of. Now, you won’t even start on the line unless you weigh AT LEAST 300 (I realize there are a FEW exceptions, but not many). There’s plenty of guys close to/topping 400. Fridge wouldn’t even be close to the biggest guy in the league now. These guys are definitely eating a lot more (I think I read somewhere close to 8000k for some players; could be wrong, though), but there is no way they could last 16 games at the weight they play without the recovery help from the juice.

The general public is just so ignorant about steroids. They seem to think BALCO was some sort of breakthrough, as if it was in a field all of its own by developing an undetectable anabolic agent. In reality, designer steroids have been around for years and BALCO is only the tip of the iceberg. Where do you think Olympic athletes/cyclists get all their gear? There’s more underground designer labs out there than we’ll ever even know about. Scientists have been and always will be years ahead of the testing…

[quote]CC wrote:
This is a joke. The only difference between now and then is linemen are on steroids AND fat. There was an article not long ago (damnit, I wish I had the link) that did a comparison on playing weight 20 years ago versue today. What thay found was pretty astonishing. I can’t remember the year (I’m pretty sure it was in the 80’s because they talked about Fridge a lot), but at one time there were only a handful of guys topping 300 (Fridge for example, was considered a behemoth; biggest guy in the league of his time). 400 was
unheard of. Now, you won’t even start on the line unless you weigh AT LEAST 300 (I realize there are a FEW exceptions, but not many). There’s plenty of guys close to/topping 400. Fridge wouldn’t even be close to the biggest guy in the league now. These guys are definitely eating a lot more (I think I read somewhere close to 8000k for some players; could be wrong, though), but there is no way they could last 16 games at the weight they play without the recovery help from the juice.

The general public is just so ignorant about steroids. They seem to think BALCO was some sort of breakthrough, as if it was in a field all of its own by developing an undetectable anabolic agent. In reality, designer steroids have been around for years and BALCO is only the tip of the iceberg. Where do you think Olympic athletes/cyclists get all their gear? There’s more underground designer labs out there than we’ll ever even know about. Scientists have been and always will be years ahead of the testing…[/quote]

Yep instead of lean an mean it’s bulked and as big as a house But both are still juicing it’s just the playesrs of yesterday for the most part could see their shoes and genitals without a mirror .

CC,

Exactly. Why do people assume that if ur on roids, you HAVE to be lean. Are Super Heavy Weight Powerlifters who use roids lean?

I love the way people assume the NFL is clean. Fuckin a, you’d shit if you saw how many guys in college football are on…and I don’t even mean DI. I played DIa and the shit was rampant. I have friends who played II and III and it was rampant there too.

Wasn’t Bruce Smith 300+ and around 3% BF?

Saw an article on Bobb Sapp the fighter. He used to play in the NFL the man whoe wrote the article is the one who trained him and is a respected name in the field from what I know. He claims Sapp is natural. Now my intention is not to disparage or accuse either man of anything, however I just have a hard time believing he got that big and that lean completely without the use of performance enhancing drugs. Thoughts?