T Nation

NFL Player's Backgrounds...

Strange question coming up, but I live in the UK where your kind (read: American) of football is perceived as a curious thing that takes place across the pond.

Anyway onto my question?

What kind of background does your average NFL player come from? I know that these is probably no such thing as an average NFL player, but what I am asking is whether the NFL is mainly made up of guys (whether black or white) who come from working class families (much like boxing) or is there a wider spectrum.

It is not as much of a blue-collar sport as boxing is. It can be quite a cross-section of America. Players seem to be primarily from three camps: the inner-city kids (often the most raw talent), suburban kids (good coahcing and training resources), and rural, or farm kids.

what about basketball that seems to be a real blue collar sport…centralized to inner city. But EVERYONE participates in it…

NFL players backgrounds…

1.The rich kids who pay there way through college, pay there way through scouting camp, and pay there way into the nfl.

2.The farmers. They do there chores, get scholarships to a halfway good school, and because of there size, get a good career in the nfl.

1. The good ones. They are usualy not poor, but not rich either. They lift everyday, go to sites like this for tips, and practice every off season day.

There are few like number 3, but they are usualy the walter paytons and emmitt smiths.

[quote]Superman wrote:
NFL players backgrounds…

1.The rich kids who pay there way through college, pay there way through scouting camp, and pay there way into the nfl.

[/quote]

What is this stupid shit? If I hit the lotto, I can get into the NFL?

[quote]doogie wrote:
Superman wrote:
NFL players backgrounds…

1.The rich kids who pay their way through college, pay their way through scouting camp, and pay their way into the nfl.

What is this stupid shit? If I hit the lotto, I can get into the NFL?
[/quote]

I think the point was that they can afford the best resources for training, nutrition, etc. You still have to have talent, but money does go a long way.

[quote]Superman wrote:
NFL players backgrounds…

2.The farmers. They do there chores, get scholarships to a halfway good school, and because of there size, get a good career in the nfl.

1. The good ones. They are usualy not poor, but not rich either. They lift everyday, go to sites like this for tips, and practice every off season day.

There are few like number 3, but they are usualy the walter paytons and emmitt smiths. [/quote]

wow you must think getting into the NFL is easy! I do not agree with a single one of these. maybe it was like this 40 years ago but now a days there are so many high school football players out there now colleges can pick and chose the ones with real talent, these kids get the scholarships which means they play in the game. Now if these kids have the fundimental skills AND the athletic ability AND are able to get up the weight they get picked for the NFL.

having money has nothing to do with it, if anything your only at a school because daddy paid for it and you make the team as a walk on that counts against you! Walk on’s are obviously not going to catch the eye of the coaches to make 1st string (they wouldnt be walk ons if they could catch the coaches eye)

Being big isnt going to get you into NFL now a days, every college has a big group of 300 pounders.

The good ones are just as varied as the bad. Some lift every day, some drink beer and sleep with cheerleaders. Some come from poor inner city schools some were born with silver spoons in their mouths. They just some how came up with the right mind set and god given skills to be the best at what they do.

The NFL is made up of a very diverse group of people. At least where I’m from its fair to say as many rich kids as poor make it to the pro’s, in my area you never know what school is going to have the stand out.

And if it means anything I personally know 2 people who were in last years 1st round draft, both from completly different back grounds and different states for that matter!

Gosh when it comes down to it. The NLF is a cross-section of America, the big difference being that they have talent, and drive.

You look at John Lynch. His dad owns radio stations (John Lynch Sr.) here in town, he went to Stanford, and played two Sports. I’m sure he had to consistently hear comments about being a rich kid and a daddy’s boy all through school. But when you see his play on the field, he’s a fucking animal, one of the hardest hitting cats in the game. Like he grew up getting in fights every day and struggling all his life.

Then you look at Daunte Culpepper, dude was born in a prison, adopted, grew up poor and had trouble with academics, so much so that a lot of big colleges didn’t even look at him as a prospect. But on the field the dude is a general, an athletic freak with a mind like a steel trap.

The two things in common between these players with very different backgrounds is

1. Talent
  2. Drive/dedication to compete

I think the above displays that it doesn’t matter where a player comes from or what their background is. If they’re talented, and driven, they’ll play and be successful in the NFL.