NFL Obesity and Maintaing 250+ Pounds

Just a question for the heavyweights on this board (250pds+). How long do you plan on staying that weight and do you plan on dropping weight after a certain point?
Is it possible to maintain a solid 250 pounds into your 60s and 70s, if you are taking care of your heart and have a low bf %?

[quote]TrenchDawg wrote:

Just a question for the heavyweights on this board (250pds+). How long do you plan on staying that weight and do you plan on dropping weight after a certain point?
Is it possible to maintain a solid 250 pounds into your 60s and 70s, if you are taking care of your heart and have a low bf %?[/quote]

Just something for you to consider, but did you realize that most of the people we cheer for now will barely be able to walk when they hit 50 or 60? That goes for the quarterbacks, the runningbacks and everyone else, not just the linemen. They beat themselves to death to play that game. Corticosteroid injections into knees don’t cure the problem. It just allows them to keep playing in spite of it.

With that in mind, it is a little off to compare simply weighing 250lbs to the stress of being an NFL linemen who played into his mid to late 30’s. They aren’t the same. I am a bodybuilder, but there are no 260, 280, or 300lbs people running into me every single week. I am surprised many of those guys live that long. You also have to realize that many of those guys are FAT, not just heavy. Not all of them have good eating habits. Most of them eat like pure crap but simply burn it off. You take that same person and sit them on their ass for 10 years and they will eat themselves to death.

I remember reading one article on ESPN a couple of years ago that showed many ex-NFL linebackers and even college players became morbidly obese after they quit playing. They had been geared to train only to play the game and to eat to support their size. Once they quit playing, they quit training and blew the fuck up.

I plan on staying this way I weigh around 260 and am about 12% bf. I will be happy if i can maintain a lot of muscle. If I start to decline in health and I need to lose weight, then I will. The key to it all is bodyfat. If you can maintain a low % even at a heavy weight then there is nothing to be worried about. These huys coming out of the NFL let themselves go and I truly think there are a lot of substance abuse issues in the NFL which does not help in the long run.

Well, there is a huge difference between being a lard assed 320 pound offensive/defensive lineman than someone, say, like Prof X who is 260 with a low BF%

I would say BF is the key! I think one could maintain great health well in his 50’s and 60’s and 70’s, weighing 220 240 or 260, as long as his respectable BF percentage is low. Studies have shown that its body fat, especially in the belly region, thats the biggest predictor of heart disease, not actual weight or even cholesterol levels.

Either way, I would rather look good and die at 65 then live to 80 + with a poor quality of life. And I think that pretty much echoes what everyone else here thinks as well.

Me personally, given the sports and lifestyle I engage in (rock climbing/snoboarding/BJJ/wakeboarding) at 5’7 I doubt I’ll ever weigh more than 170, and nor would I ever want to.

Thanks for the reply’s. I figured BF% was the key. I’m about 250 and @12% and would like to maintain 255-260 at maybe 8-10% BF into my 30’s and 40’s.

if T drops then so will muscle.

I’m at 275 and btwn 15-20% I got done playing college football a year ago. right now I’m just trying to lose weight (fat). I agree though that most football players don’t quit eating like they used to after they stop playing. The only OL’s and DL’s that I know that lost weight after they stopped playing kept working out, and made drastic changes in their diet. I will say this though, I didn’t realize how bad I felt when I played, but now I know that I felt horrible, compared to how good I feel now that I’m done with the impact.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
I’m at 275 and btwn 15-20% I got done playing college football a year ago. right now I’m just trying to lose weight (fat). I agree though that most football players don’t quit eating like they used to after they stop playing. The only OL’s and DL’s that I know that lost weight after they stopped playing kept working out, and made drastic changes in their diet. I will say this though, I didn’t realize how bad I felt when I played, but now I know that I felt horrible, compared to how good I feel now that I’m done with the impact.[/quote]

I’ve seen guys who used to play in college years later and just seen massive fat gain. One guy who was in decent shape when he played must have been over 50lbs heavier no more than 4 years after graduation. I personally don’t understand how someone can ONLY train for football with no attention at all to training for themselves as a personal goal. I have no doubt that many of these guys weighing 350lbs in the pro’s would simply be walking houses of obesity years after retirement. It isn’t like not playing football will stop them from tossing back entire fried chickens and baby back ribs by the pound.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I’ve seen guys who used to play in college years later and just seen massive fat gain. One guy who was in decent shape when he played must have been over 50lbs heavier no more than 4 years after graduation. I personally don’t understand how someone can ONLY train for football with no attention at all to training for themselves as a personal goal. I have no doubt that many of these guys weighing 350lbs in the pro’s would simply be walking houses of obesity years after retirement. It isn’t like not playing football will stop them from tossing back entire fried chickens and baby back ribs by the pound.[/quote]

I’ve been playing for about 12 years now, although I have taken 2 years off (non consecutive). I will say that former players tend to get fat fast. Most associate lifting with football…so no more football = no more lifting.

Personally, while I love football, I prob. love lifting more. I’m not sure if I am playing this spring or not…but that doesn’t stop me from running, lifting, and generally eating well.

I’ve played OL, DL, TE and FB. I will say that most OL really like being fat. They love to eat and think that being a certian weight will make them better. Coaches push that bs too. I was told hundreds of times that at 260 (or 250 or 240) that I was too small to play. Then I’d start both ways and make all-Star teams on both sides of the ball.
With the D-Line, the trend seems to be to go with quicker, leaner guys…so hopefully, the OL will adopt similar standards. Honestly, the reason I beat most OLmen is because I’m just plain faster than them…stronger too, even though I weigh less.

Also, the only players I’ve ever really seen eat well were guys who are not genetically gifted. Position doesn’t matter. If a guy is naturally low in bodyfat…they generally eat like shit. Doritos and a pepsi before a game…while I’m sittin there with a protein shake.

Plus, most football coaches push a high-carb pre game meal…and pretty much encourage guys to eat till they barf.