NFL: New England / Boston

I’ll just start a thread and say it now before it blows up…

What the fuck just happened to NE? I’m not a fan, but they were struggling. They went from scoring at will to pulling out a game-winning touchdown out of desperation.

How many times did the announcers blame Brady’s throws on the wind? and it really wouldn’t have damaged their passing game that much to bring the game that close.

I don’t have cable, so I’m watching the ESPN Gamecast (otherwise I wouldn’t be posting this right now). I did watch the first half of the game at the gym, but WOW. What a fucking game, and unexpected from Baltimore.

There is :44 left in the 4th, so I hope I don’t eat my words.

[quote]Schwarzenegger wrote:
There is :44 left in the 4th, so I hope I don’t eat my words.[/quote]

Had he taken one more step before making that hail mary, you would have.

PS, I’m pretty sure you meant “new england/baltimore.” hah

That game was nuts!!
My heart was throttled the whole second half. I truly believe that Baltimore was the better team last night.
NE is going to step up these next couple weeks big time. They’ve played average these last two and that isn’t going to stand in Bill Belichick Land.

I was at the gym and I remember coming out of the free weights room to check the score sometime early in the 4th and I was shocked. I remember running back and doing sets during timesouts or commcercials lol, and then I finally just stood out in front of the cardio machines with about 5 other guys in awe of what was happeneing.

While I didn’t see the whole game, I did note something was EXTREMELY apparent: Baltimore’s defense WANTED this. Their level of agressiveness was outstanding. In the 4th alone I counted several passes that would have been completions had their secondary not drilled the reciever where he would then drop the ball.

That last play of the game was outstanding, and while I walked away my brother at home told me they were to be penalized anyway for offensive PI, but still, awesome play and one hell of a close game.

NE might be in trouble. I can see them losing to Pittsburgh, Jax or even Indy in a bad weather playoff game.

They seem to lack a defense and running game this year.

Someone noted early in the year that their defense was old and will wear out late in the season. Looks like a good forecast.

Baltimores Defense did all it could. Stopped them twice on 4th down. One didnt count because of a baltimore sideline timeout, the other from a false start.

I hate how a defensive holding penalty was the deciding play of the game. I didnt get to see it well the first time but on replay it didnt look like alot.

NE has had two close calls in a row. They came when their opponent could get good pressure and had a running game. Steelers are up next. Steelers = Blitz and Run. Cower is no longer there but thats his pittsburg steelers. I think they have a good shot. NE hasnt been in their groove like the 1st half of the season and hopefully next week their streak will end.

It’s true that the Patriots seem to be off their game in recent matches. In this case I think the main factor that caused the close finish was simply that the Raven’s really, REALLY wanted this win. It was their “superbowl” after all. I was far more impressed with their game than I was disappointed in ours.

Pulling out a last second win, on the road, when you play like complete shit the ENTIRE GAME, is what great teams do.

This Sunday will be the last test for the Pats the rest of the regular season. Let’s hope Pittsburgh comes in and plays like they NEED to win this game.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
NE might be in trouble. I can see them losing to Pittsburgh, Jax or even Indy in a bad weather playoff game.

Someone noted early in the year that their defense was old and will wear out late in the season. Looks like a good forecast.[/quote]

They lack a running game? They rank 8th overall in the NFL with an average of 121 yards a game… That’s pretty impressive considering they are ranked 1st in total yards and pass yards… So for a team that is primarily a pass first unit that is the best in the NFL at passing, their rushing doesn’t look too shabby.

Not to mention even in that horrible performance at Baltimore, I think they still averaged 3.75 yards a run.

I’ll agree on the defense, with Colvin out their linebackers are showing their age even more so. While speed may not be there they do have the experience and skill to play the position. It will be interesting to see how the defense is addressed vs. the Steelers, and if the 4-3 is kept also.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Someone noted early in the year that their defense was old and will wear out late in the season. Looks like a good forecast.[/quote]

I made a post a few weeks ago saying that NE might regret running up the score when they instead could’ve rested all those geezers on D.

When I look at NE, I see a team with a real flashy passing game, but a sub-par running game and a defense that can’t stop the run.

Those were gigantic red flags even before the Philly and Bal. games.

Undefeated regular season or not, it will not be NE who’s holding the shiny trophy in February.

NE is not going to win the superbowl if they face Indy again in the playoffs.

You find a way to shut down randy moss and you can beat them. Baltimore did despite tom brady having 30 minutes to throw the ball nearly every down. If Baltimore was just a slightly better team they would’ve beat them.

Pittsburgh is going to get spanked.

[quote]ss847859 wrote:
I hate how a defensive holding penalty was the deciding play of the game. I didnt get to see it well the first time but on replay it didnt look like alot.
[/quote]

Watson is down at the RMV this morning getting a temporary license after he got mugged last night.

The only questionable call that happened in the final sequence is the initial “unsportsmanlike” after the TD, as no one but the ref knows what provoked that.

What is questionable is why those calls (Holding/PI) never started until the fourth quarter, as the receivers were getting manhandled all night. I will give you it was inconsistent with the rest of the game, but I don’t see it being the refs’ fault. The Baltimore D played exceptionally good football, right up until the meltdown in the final minute.

NE definitely looks vulnerable. Call it cold, call it age, call it injury, but a perfect season is definitely not the lock some were calling for earlier this year.

Please I wanted baltimore to win, but that hold was blatant and stupid. Let’s be honest most of the good teams win by not f’king up. Baltimore f’ed up. With the time out and the hold. Even though he would never have been able to stay with him if he didn’t hold him, the guy behind him was there to make a play.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Please I wanted baltimore to win, but that hold was blatant and stupid. Let’s be honest most of the good teams win by not f’king up. Baltimore f’ed up. With the time out and the hold. Even though he would never have been able to stay with him if he didn’t hold him, the guy behind him was there to make a play. [/quote]

It’s not whether you fuck up or not - it’s if the ref calls it on you.

I counted 6-8 blatant holds that NE was never called for. Moss pushed off big time with no flag.

I’m the last one to wear a tin foil hat, but NE has literally gotten away with murder this season. Makes me wonder if there is an agenda.

I’m pretty sure that if the lat lay had actually made a difference - the refs would have called the massive PI on the Ravens.

I think it’s silly to dismiss NE’s entire offense by thinking that Randy Moss is their only lifeline. Two close calls, two weeks in a row. Yeah, okay, we all get it. But it’s not about what happened, it’s about what will come next.

NE can either take this, learn from it, and tighten up their defense back to the beginning of the season, or watch their opportunity to make history crumble before their eyes. I, for one, don’t think they’ll lose to Pittsburgh just like I don’t think the Giants will be victorious.

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but with the exception of another match-up with the Colts, I don’t see another slip-up (3 horrible quarters by NE if I’ve ever seen any) that could taint their season.

Baltimore’s defense has been for the last 10 years one of the best and last night they were on fire. Ray Lewis had that D so high and they just fed the Offense with their intensity. Willis McGahee was incredible. NE was lucky, bottom line lucky. The refereeing in that game was incredibly questionable. I’m not a conspiracy guy either but the Ravens got screwed by the Refs.

A lot of calls go the way of the Pats, last night and throughout the season. I don’t know if it is an agenda like RJ said, or just unconcious bias (giving them the benefit of the doubt). There is certainly media bias, every announcer seems to love them

But, like them or not, they are the team to watch. If you like them, you want to watch the game and see them stomp the oppenent. You want to see the records broken. If you hate them, you’ll watch to see them lose. I don’t know the numbers, but I’d bet attendance and TV audience is up much above average. If that is the case, I’d suspect those numbers would grow until they lose once, or win it all.

[quote]Jaegor wrote:
ss847859 wrote:

Watson is down at the RMV this morning getting a temporary license after he got mugged last night.

The only questionable call that happened in the final sequence is the initial “unsportsmanlike” after the TD, as no one but the ref knows what provoked that.

What is questionable is why those calls (Holding/PI) never started until the fourth quarter, as the receivers were getting manhandled all night. I will give you it was inconsistent with the rest of the game, but I don’t see it being the refs’ fault. The Baltimore D played exceptionally good football, right up until the meltdown in the final minute.

NE definitely looks vulnerable. Call it cold, call it age, call it injury, but a perfect season is definitely not the lock some were calling for earlier this year.[/quote]

I got to see it today on sportscenter. I’m not saying it wasnt holding but it was no where near as bad as some that never get called and it doesnt change the fact that it still blows that the deciding play of the game was a holding call.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Please I wanted baltimore to win, but that hold was blatant and stupid. Let’s be honest most of the good teams win by not f’king up. Baltimore f’ed up. With the time out and the hold. Even though he would never have been able to stay with him if he didn’t hold him, the guy behind him was there to make a play. [/quote]

It really wasnt that bad of a hold. If a ref wanted to he could call holding on every play of the game.