T Nation

NFL Draft

With the draft only a few days away, I’d like to get everyone’s thoughts on your team’s needs, who you want them to take, and who you think they will take.

Pittsburgh is definitely in need of an impact linebacker, a corner or three, a big-back compliment to Willie Parker, and offensive linemen.

This is what I’d like to see:

  1. Paul Posluszny LB
  2. Marcus MacCauley CB
  3. Michael Bush RB

After that, they should address the O-Line and LB depth. I won’t further a guess as to who will be around that late. Other scenarios could include Pittsburgh shopping Alan Faneca, which sucks but they won’t be able to sign him after next year anyhow.

Lifelong Detroit fan, where should I start!

I think if they cannot get a king’s ransom for the number 2 pick, they need to just select Calvin Johnson and see if they can’t trade him afterwords. If they can’t, the worst case is they keep the best player in the draft. Surprisingly, we do need a wide receiver as Charles Rogers has been cut and Mike Williams is on his way out.

If the lions can trade down for extra picks, I would prefer to see them trade with Atlanta. With the #8 pick, I’d like to take Patrick Willis. Then in the seond round snatch up Anthony Spencer and one of the corners. If we can’t get Willis, we need to target a MLB at some point, so Justin Durant might be an option.

The lions really need to focus on Defense, in particular MLB, DE, CB (in that order). Saturday should be fun.

Well, I am obliged to start off with:
the Steelers can lick my taint.

Now that that is off my chest, I hope my Cleveland Browns draft the University of Florida with the #3 pick. That’s right, we need a completely new team. This ownership and front office has been completely lost since 1999. They have no sense of direction and they run it like a publicly-held company interested in the short-term, stop-gap solutions that have not worked.

Consequently, injuries killed them last year due to their lack of depth, since they haven’t developed any talent on their own. I hope they don’t draft Brady Quinn, because, while they need a quarterback for the future, they need on O-line first and picking QBs in the 1st round is typically a boom or bust thing (usually the latter).

I would rather they go with Joe Thomas or Adrian Petersen 1st. I’m not sold on Calvin Johnson either. Yeah, yeah, all the experts say he’s “can’t miss” but there’s just something I can’t quite put my finger on that troubled me in the games I saw him play on tv. Maybe if I saw him week in and week out I would think otherwise, but if I were after a WR, I would rather trade down and take Jarret from USC.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
Well, I am obliged to start off with:
the Steelers can lick my taint.

Now that that is off my chest, I hope my Cleveland Browns draft the University of Florida with the #3 pick. That’s right, we need a completely new team. This ownership and front office has been completely lost since 1999. They have no sense of direction and they run it like a publicly-held company interested in the short-term, stop-gap solutions that have not worked.

Consequently, injuries killed them last year due to their lack of depth, since they haven’t developed any talent on their own. I hope they don’t draft Brady Quinn, because, while they need a quarterback for the future, they need on O-line first and picking QBs in the 1st round is typically a boom or bust thing (usually the latter).

I would rather they go with Joe Thomas or Adrian Petersen 1st. I’m not sold on Calvin Johnson either. Yeah, yeah, all the experts say he’s “can’t miss” but there’s just something I can’t quite put my finger on that troubled me in the games I saw him play on tv. Maybe if I saw him week in and week out I would think otherwise, but if I were after a WR, I would rather trade down and take Jarret from USC.

DB[/quote]

The Browns have been licking everyone’s taint for the last 8 years. They could draft the Boise State cheerleading squad and immediately be 10x better.

Personally, I like to see Pittsburgh draft an impact pass rusher DE/OLB and then somehow move up in the 2nd and snag David Harris LB from Michigan Who I personally think is the best all around LB in the draft.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
Well, I am obliged to start off with:
the Steelers can lick my taint.

Now that that is off my chest, I hope my Cleveland Browns draft the University of Florida with the #3 pick. That’s right, we need a completely new team. This ownership and front office has been completely lost since 1999. They have no sense of direction and they run it like a publicly-held company interested in the short-term, stop-gap solutions that have not worked.

Consequently, injuries killed them last year due to their lack of depth, since they haven’t developed any talent on their own. I hope they don’t draft Brady Quinn, because, while they need a quarterback for the future, they need on O-line first and picking QBs in the 1st round is typically a boom or bust thing (usually the latter).

I would rather they go with Joe Thomas or Adrian Petersen 1st. I’m not sold on Calvin Johnson either. Yeah, yeah, all the experts say he’s “can’t miss” but there’s just something I can’t quite put my finger on that troubled me in the games I saw him play on tv. Maybe if I saw him week in and week out I would think otherwise, but if I were after a WR, I would rather trade down and take Jarret from USC.

DB

The Browns have been licking everyone’s taint for the last 8 years. They could draft the Boise State cheerleading squad and immediately be 10x better.[/quote]

I would expect an answer like that from a taint-licker (LOL). Btw, didn’t Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the same playoff record last year?

DB

[quote]BlacknGold wrote:
Personally, I like to see Pittsburgh draft an impact pass rusher DE/OLB and then somehow move up in the 2nd and snag David Harris LB from Michigan Who I personally think is the best all around LB in the draft.[/quote]

The problem I see is that I think the two best DEs will be gone by 15, namely Jamaal Anderson and Gaines Adams. Carriker grades out as the next best thing, but we already have Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel, both of whom would fit as a strong side 4-3 end or a 3-4 end. Jarvis Moss could be a good fit, but I think 15 is too high to take him.

I like Posluszny at 15 because he can play inside or outside, has great instincts, and he will be a great team leader for years.

Alright Steel, I think Posluszny would be an excellent choice but I would like to see my Broncos take a RB before round 5 for a change and pick up Bush; runningbacks are THIN this year.
Shady if Detroit takes a WR again they would hold a record that will never be broken taking WR’s with their first pick like 12 years straight right?

You gotta replace Kantna…I say you’re better off with Adams because early last year the Defense seemed to be coming on and you need to continue in that direction without a doubt…Troy Smith would be an excellent late round QB.

Unfortunately Dollar I think the Brownies will be pretty much foregoing this year because I gotta believe they want to dump Crennel who is possibly the worst HC I’ve seen in a long time.

I say unfortunately because you don’t seem to like your Pennsylvania neighbors and my gut tells me in 2008 you’ll get Cowher. Hopefully Savage is in on the gig and they take some long term picks and don’t F up the draft with highly paid band-aids.

As for my Broncos I would love to see them trade up for Joe Adams in round 1 or down for Dwayne Jarrett then:
2. Quentin Moses
3. Michael Bush
4. Chase Johnson
Thanks for the vine fellas and best of luck this year!

[quote]Mousse wrote:
Alright Steel, I think Posluszny would be an excellent choice but I would like to see my Broncos take a RB before round 5 for a change and pick up Bush; runningbacks are THIN this year.
Shady if Detroit takes a WR again they would hold a record that will never be broken taking WR’s with their first pick like 12 years straight right?

You gotta replace Kantna…I say you’re better off with Adams because early last year the Defense seemed to be coming on and you need to continue in that direction without a doubt…Troy Smith would be an excellent late round QB.

Unfortunately Dollar I think the Brownies will be pretty much foregoing this year because I gotta believe they want to dump Crennel who is possibly the worst HC I’ve seen in a long time.

I say unfortunately because you don’t seem to like your Pennsylvania neighbors and my gut tells me in 2008 you’ll get Cowher. Hopefully Savage is in on the gig and they take some long term picks and don’t F up the draft with highly paid band-aids.

As for my Broncos I would love to see them trade up for Joe Adams in round 1 or down for Dwayne Jarrett then:
2. Quentin Moses
3. Michael Bush
4. Chase Johnson
Thanks for the vine fellas and best of luck this year![/quote]

I think Kitna is fine for this year, and maybe next. Now that we improved our oline, he should not be running for his life as much, and we should be able to run the ball better which will help. I think we will address QB, just not in the first round. I like Drew Stanton, and apparently Detroit likes Trent Edwards and John Beck. I hate to spend a 2nd rounder on a QB, but if we can unload Josh McCown for a third rounder (rumor) it wouldn’t be bad to take Stanton.

As for the receiver thing, yes this would be our 4th in 5 years if we took johnson. I just hate to see us pass on him and take Adams instead. I am not sold on Adams, and if we call Tampa Bay or Atlantas bluff, we may be able to get what we want for him after picking him. I would love to get Patrick Willis, and I like Jamal Anderson better than Adams. I also like Anthony Spencer in the 2nd round.

Actually there are rumblings that Anderson is falling out of the top 15. Actually, I like to see them trade down, get T Staley, and then move up for Harris. Staley is NFL ready and moves in at LT and Smith moves to RT. This gives them flexibility and possibly move Colon to guard in the future.

Harris takes Foote’s spot who many Michigan people have said Harris is light years better. Hoepfully a Woodley might still be around later to snag. I would love to see them get WR Anthony Gonzalez, but he will go to high for their blood. He would fit in nicely for some team at the slot position.

I’m a Detroit fan as well, Shady, but I disagree that we need a WR at the moment. Currently Roy Williams and Mike Furrey are suiting us very well. In fact they’re one of the better combinations in the league. I disagree with taking Calvin Johnson to say the least.

I’d really like to see a trade down to pick up Gaines Adams. And rather than take an NFL Vet, grab some more draft picks, like an early third, or even middle second round pick.

We’re really just in need of a lot at the moment…

As a Raiders fan Saturday will be stressfull, a #1 pick QB is always hard and could very easily lead to a few more 2-4 win seasons if it dosn’t go right.

the main concern is the line works somewhat decent this year, and the offensive playbook isn’t something from the 1960’s

What does everyone else think of the Jamarcus hype?

[quote]mj_gk wrote:
I’m a Detroit fan as well, Shady, but I disagree that we need a WR at the moment. Currently Roy Williams and Mike Furrey are suiting us very well. In fact they’re one of the better combinations in the league. I disagree with taking Calvin Johnson to say the least.

I’d really like to see a trade down to pick up Gaines Adams. And rather than take an NFL Vet, grab some more draft picks, like an early third, or even middle second round pick.

We’re really just in need of a lot at the moment…[/quote]

Actually, we are in need of a receiver. I agree that DE is definitely more of a priority, but to effectively run Mike Martz’s offense, you need two outside vertical threats. Mike Furrey is not a vertical threat at all. Mike Furrey is a fine number 2 option if thats all that is available, but the offense is much more effective with someone who is much faster with your possesion guy in the slot.

My problem with Adams is that he takes plays off, doesn’t seem to have the desire (Kalimba Edwards, anyone?), and he didn’t seem to be that great against the run (from what I have seen at least).

I am with you though, the ideal situation is moving down, and even if it is just a trade with Tampa to move to number 4 and gain an extra 2nd rounder. You figure you can get Gaines Adams cheaper, plus an extra 2nd. I would rather see us get more in a trade with ATL and then grab Willis.

We really need a MLB. We can grab a speedy WR later on. But if we are sitting at 2 and no one wants to trade, I think you have to take CJ, and then dangle him out there for a trade. DE seems pretty deep this year.

[quote]KO421 wrote:
What does everyone else think of the Jamarcus hype?[/quote]

I think it would be a big mistake if OAK drafted him. They could just get Daunte for cheap. And if they can have a decent O-Line ready when he gets healthy, they’ll have someone who’s already proven at the NFL level.

(I’m not a Raiders fan though, my squad is the other ex-LA team)

Charger. We need some speed in our receivers but more secondary help too. And Donnie Edwards left but We took some dude in the later rounds last year and apparently the GM’s and owners really like him. I’d like to see a Robert Meachem though. We do need a speed reciever

I have to say Shady you make some excellent points; trading down being possibly the best option if Adams is not your cup of tea. However, Kitna is definitely not ok for a year much less two and I liked what I saw during the first half of 2006 from the defense, that defensive momentum needs to be sustained…especially with Martz as HC because they’re gonna be on the field a lot.

Also when I spoke of Troy Smith I was imagining he would slide to the 4th round and as for Drew Stanton he just plain scares the hell out of me!
Anyone have an opinion on Chase Johnson out of Wyoming? My gut tells me Shanahan has an eye on him; if you can stop the run and bat em down at the LOS you don’t have to have 4.5 speed on the outside IMO.

[quote]Mousse wrote:
I have to say Shady you make some excellent points; trading down being possibly the best option if Adams is not your cup of tea. However, Kitna is definitely not ok for a year much less two and I liked what I saw during the first half of 2006 from the defense, that defensive momentum needs to be sustained…especially with Martz as HC because they’re gonna be on the field a lot.

Also when I spoke of Troy Smith I was imagining he would slide to the 4th round and as for Drew Stanton he just plain scares the hell out of me!
Anyone have an opinion on Chase Johnson out of Wyoming? My gut tells me Shanahan has an eye on him; if you can stop the run and bat em down at the LOS you don’t have to have 4.5 speed on the outside IMO.[/quote]

I disagree with your assessment of Kitna. He threw for 4,000 yards last year. A handful of his interceptions were at the end of games that we were in desperate situations.

He was sacked the most (or 2nd most) in the league. So with the offensive line help we should see three things:

  1. Kitna has more time for plays to develop and make the right read,
  2. the running game should be much improved,
  3. with more time to throw and an improved running game the offense should be on the field more. Of course, this is all theoretical as we are talking about the lions!

Why does Drew Stanton scare you? I have watched him since high school as he was a local star, and the guy is impressive. The biggest mistake he made was going to MSU. He could have went to a school known for producing QBs and ended up with a heisman and national championship.

Instead, he bought into the John L. Smith hype! My only problem with him is having to spend a second round pick on him. Ideally, the first three rounds, at least, should be used on the defensive side of the ball. Especially if we get “stuck” with CJ at 2, the rest of our picks have to be defense.

As for Troy Smith, I wouldn’t mind having him in the 4th. The thing I like about him is that he knows how to win football games. Physical stats mean nothing to me, and Smith performs and wins. I think Martz could really do a lot with him, especially since he seems to be so accurate.

From what I have heard, it appears the falcons want CJ quite a bit. If we could pick up their 8th pick and both second rounders, that would be huge. Take patrick willis with #8, then we have 3 second round picks to take CB, DE, and Safety or best available. I’m really looking forward to Saturday!

As a Green Bay Packers fan, I think they need a decent pass rusher, because KGB sucks now and an impact safety.

Yeah, yeah, Ahman Green is gone and they need a RB too. If they can pick one up later on fine, but not in the first round. Everyone is predicting they take Marshawn Lynch. I’m just not sold on him for some reason.

And they need a safety because Marquand was horrible last year. But I don’t know if that was a breakdown in the scheme or if he just sucks. But him and Nick Collins got beat deep a lot last year.

But then again, the Packers could use another WR if Moss doesn’t come to town.

They could also use another CB. Because if Harris or Woodson go down, they are hosed.

They could pick up a TE too. Bubba couldn’t hold onto the ball last year to save his life.

Ok, so the Packers need a RB, TE, CB, S, WR and DE. That’s not too much…

[quote]shadyniner wrote:
Mousse wrote:
I have to say Shady you make some excellent points; trading down being possibly the best option if Adams is not your cup of tea. However, Kitna is definitely not ok for a year much less two and I liked what I saw during the first half of 2006 from the defense, that defensive momentum needs to be sustained…especially with Martz as HC because they’re gonna be on the field a lot.

Also when I spoke of Troy Smith I was imagining he would slide to the 4th round and as for Drew Stanton he just plain scares the hell out of me!
Anyone have an opinion on Chase Johnson out of Wyoming? My gut tells me Shanahan has an eye on him; if you can stop the run and bat em down at the LOS you don’t have to have 4.5 speed on the outside IMO.

I disagree with your assessment of Kitna. He threw for 4,000 yards last year. A handful of his interceptions were at the end of games that we were in desperate situations.

He was sacked the most (or 2nd most) in the league. So with the offensive line help we should see three things:

  1. Kitna has more time for plays to develop and make the right read,
  2. the running game should be much improved,
  3. with more time to throw and an improved running game the offense should be on the field more. Of course, this is all theoretical as we are talking about the lions!

Why does Drew Stanton scare you? I have watched him since high school as he was a local star, and the guy is impressive. The biggest mistake he made was going to MSU. He could have went to a school known for producing QBs and ended up with a heisman and national championship.

Instead, he bought into the John L. Smith hype! My only problem with him is having to spend a second round pick on him. Ideally, the first three rounds, at least, should be used on the defensive side of the ball. Especially if we get “stuck” with CJ at 2, the rest of our picks have to be defense.

As for Troy Smith, I wouldn’t mind having him in the 4th. The thing I like about him is that he knows how to win football games. Physical stats mean nothing to me, and Smith performs and wins. I think Martz could really do a lot with him, especially since he seems to be so accurate.

From what I have heard, it appears the falcons want CJ quite a bit. If we could pick up their 8th pick and both second rounders, that would be huge. Take patrick willis with #8, then we have 3 second round picks to take CB, DE, and Safety or best available. I’m really looking forward to Saturday![/quote]

re Kitna: we just have to agree to disagree my friend. No offense because I think the guy shows a ton of heart but he’s not a starter because he tends to press in tight situations which leads to turnovers and losses.

He tends to find himself in situations where he tries to take more than the defense will allow. I liken him to Jake Plummer who I am glad is gone; another guy that just wants to win so bad that he will throw the dice from time to time in desperation and turn it over.

As for Stanton same reason, correct me if I’m wrong but is he not inconsistent? Are his off-field issues resolved?

I’ll say it again that Martz’ decision making is going to have your defense on the field a lot so they better be tight/talented and conditioned.

I agree with you about pressing in tight situations, especially at the end of games. I just took that to be the talent level around him. I haven’t seen Kitna play that much before he came to Detroit. It has to be hard running an offense that has a patchwork oline and no run game, so I figured that was part of the reason he got into trouble at times.

I do think he is a great QB for a young guy to sit behind. If nothing else, he will show the young guy how to act and get a team behind him. I like what he did for Carson Palmer, and I think he can do that for someone in Detroit in the next year or so.

I was not aware of any off field issues that Stanton had? What is going on with that? I can’t imagine it is anything bad, as it would be reported in Michigan as big news. But as a general rule, the Lions need to stay away from guys who have character issues.

Look at CRog and BMW and how far back that set us back. Imagine if instead of picking BMW, we selected a LB, CB, or DE? We wouldn’t have all that money invested in nothing, plus would have a productive player.

As for the offense, it will not be any worse than it was 2 years ago when Mooch was running things. I think that was the most anemic offense I have ever seen!! This one seems to move the ball quite a bit more.

They just need to convert on third down more, and I think the oline and TJ Duckett will help with that statistic. Regardless, the defense needs to be in better shape just to avoid injuries and the like. It seems like Detroit always has a ton of injuries.

Why do I love this team so much?!