T Nation

NFL Draft XXXXXXL Sleeper

Jesus fucking christ is all I can say

Damn. I read about this guy in my draft preview magazine, but they didn’t have this much detail.

But one note on the first page pic on the left: the NYT captioning folks should mention his DL given the man is doing a trap bar DL – why would they talk about his bench and squat?

Because non-lifters don’t know what the hell a deadlift is. They probably think it’s a bench press done while asleep.

While it is an intriguing story, this is just sensational journalism to me.

“Football teams everywhere are filled with big men, but many of them can barely move. Thomas has run the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds, faster than some N.F.L. tight ends. He is the rare tackle who can catch a running back from behind.”

Sorry, but you’re not catching an NFL RB from behind with 4.9 speed.

“Thomas represents the hard choice that every team faces at some point on draft day ? to pick a player with supreme physical ability and a questionable past, or to go with a player who has limited talent but a proven track record.”

How many players with limited talent get drafted? Why offer up an absurd comparison like this? Most players that get drafted fall into either:

1)supreme physical ability and a questionable past or
2)supreme physical ability with a proven track record.

“As a prospect, Thomas is intriguing because of both his baggage and his potential. In the two games he did play last season, his numbers were mind-blowing: 16 tackles, 9 tackles for a loss and 4 sacks.”

How mind-blowing when you consider it was at NW Miss Community College.

With only 6 rounds in the draft, I don’t see him getting drafted. Certainly, he will get plenty of free agent camp offers, but I don’t think anyone will use a pick on him, especially with the tougher stance the league has taken on problem players. Anyone who follows college football and the NFL can run off a list of players that had phenomenal physical abilities and checkered pasts that never made it.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
1)supreme physical ability and a questionable past or
2)supreme physical ability with a proven track record.

“As a prospect, Thomas is intriguing because of both his baggage and his potential. In the two games he did play last season, his numbers were mind-blowing: 16 tackles, 9 tackles for a loss and 4 sacks.”

How mind-blowing when you consider it was at NW Miss Community College.

With only 6 rounds in the draft, I don’t see him getting drafted. Certainly, he will get plenty of free agent camp offers, but I don’t think anyone will use a pick on him, especially with the tougher stance the league has taken on problem players. Anyone who follows college football and the NFL can run off a list of players that had phenomenal physical abilities and checkered pasts that never made it.

DB
[/quote]

Jerry Rice, Emmit Smith and Tom Brady are examples right off the top of my head. And I kow what you’re saying about it being at a JC, but Community College ball is real, real competitive, especially down in Mississippi. Dudes are fightin’ to the death on that field to get a final chance to make it. I’ve heard a lot about this guy, and I predict him in the 5th round just based on his hype (I’m sure everyone coach and GM has heard of him). I have this gut feeling though that he won’t pan out. Just a feeling

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
While it is an intriguing story, this is just sensational journalism to me.

…DB
[/quote]

Good analysis. He will either be a free agent or Al Davis’ # 1 draft choice. Hard to say.

I have to agree with ass clown, outside of the north east JC Football is real competitive, and many JC Football teams have produced GREAT NFL players. I didn’t realize this until I got out of jersey.

However, I hope this guy doesn’t need all the people they say to support him. If so, giving him 100,000 dollars is just going to make him f’up again. Everybody is real good when they have nothing left.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
With only 6 rounds in the draft, I don’t see him getting drafted. Certainly, he will get plenty of free agent camp offers, but I don’t think anyone will use a pick on him, especially with the tougher stance the league has taken on problem players. Anyone who follows college football and the NFL can run off a list of players that had phenomenal physical abilities and checkered pasts that never made it.

DB
[/quote]

Did they change it? It had been seven, but all the pro leagues have been shortening their drafts over the years.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:

With only 6 rounds in the draft, I don’t see him getting drafted.

DB
[/quote]

Actually there’s 7 rounds (Marques Colston was the 4th to last pick of the 2006 draft, and had a beast of a rookie season for the Saints). But nonetheless, I think a team will draft him on the second day just for his pure athleticism, and he can be molded into a great player in the right system (Monte Kiffin and Jimmy Johnson, DC’s for the Bucs and Eagles, respectively, I think can help him out)

Hopefully a team will give him a second chance at football, and he can turn things around.

Genetics at their finest.

He could be like Eric Swann as well – he was playing sandlot semi-pro ball, and was a Pro Bowl DT – would have been even better if he could have avoided some of his injuries.

FIU’s LB Antwan Barnes.

^ Thumbs up.

40 Yard Dash 4.43

Walter Thomas was not drafted, hopefully some team recognizes his freakish athletic ability and he gets a free agent deal.

this guy weights 370 and benches only a hundread pounds over his bodyweight, and squated 800 wich is probally above parrallel, thats not that impressive pound for pound I am stronger than this guy

Can somebody tell my why the Packers didnt take Olsen or Tony Gonzalez two weapons Favre could of definetly used and needed this season instead of some DT that wont do anything this season, and they prob could get a more productive DT vet for cheaper

[quote]awill53 wrote:
this guy weights 370 and benches only a hundread pounds over his bodyweight, and squated 800 wich is probally above parrallel, thats not that impressive pound for pound I am stronger than this guy[/quote]

Yeah, man!!! Now you’re talking! I can only squat 95 pounds but I do 'em rock-bottom for TWENTY reps. The only reason I don’t squat 800 lbs. is because I don’t want to get too big. That player sounds like every other fat guy if you ask me. :smiley:

[/sarcasm just because I couldn’t resist after reading “pound for pound I am stronger than”]

[quote]awill53 wrote:
this guy weights 370 and benches only a hundread pounds over his bodyweight, and squated 800 wich is probally above parrallel, thats not that impressive pound for pound I am stronger than this guy[/quote]

If it’s sarcasm, you suck at it. If you are for real, go drink bleach.

Didn’t see this dude on a draft board. Guess I was wrong :-(. 0/1

[quote]awill53 wrote:
this guy weights 370 and benches only a hundread pounds over his bodyweight, and squated 800 wich is probally above parrallel, thats not that impressive pound for pound I am stronger than this guy[/quote]

I would love to see you try to run over him with your amazing strength.