NFL Draft 2007

Personally I think the trade for Brady Quinn was dumb.

Basically they gave up next year’s first round pick to move up 13 spots. There’s a reason you rarely see the teams at the top of the league trading up for picks. It’s just dumb.

It cracks me up to see every “expert” giving Cleveland these amazing draft grades. Of course next year they will be getting terrible grades and the Cowboys will be looking golden with an extra top-10 pick.

You NEVER get full value when you trade up to grab a player. And considering the fact that NFL drafting is such an inexact science, it makes no sense to trade up for a player who is only slightly more likely to suceed than the player you would’ve gotten.

[quote]A-Town Crown wrote:
SBT wrote:
A-Town Crown wrote:
The browns came away nicely in the first round. 2 impact players on both sides of the ball in the first round, very nice.

Psst Thomas is an offensive tackle.

You don’t think an immediate upgrade on the Oline is impact?

[/quote]

I think he meant more on the “both sides of the ball” part. :wink:

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:

Basically they gave up next year’s first round pick to move up 13 spots. There’s a reason you rarely see the teams at the top of the league trading up for picks. It’s just dumb.

It cracks me up to see every “expert” giving Cleveland these amazing draft grades. Of course next year they will be getting terrible grades and the Cowboys will be looking golden with an extra top-10 pick.

You NEVER get full value when you trade up to grab a player. And considering the fact that NFL drafting is such an inexact science, it makes no sense to trade up for a player who is only slightly more likely to suceed than the player you would’ve gotten. [/quote]

Why do you say this? So they gave up next year’s #1, a pick they likely would have used on a QB next year without necessarily getting the #2 QB coming out. When you can get a franchise LT and a possible franchise QB in the same draft, why not do it? Quinn was almost the #1 pick taken in the draft. Besides, you can always trade up for a #1 pick next year.

Like I said earlier, I was glad they went with Thomas with their first pick because they had a bigger need at OL. Getting Quinn was a bonus, imo.

DB

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:

You NEVER get full value when you trade up to grab a player. And considering the fact that NFL drafting is such an inexact science, it makes no sense to trade up for a player who is only slightly more likely to suceed than the player you would’ve gotten. [/quote]

BS. Quinn was a consensus top 10 pick, which is what they possibly gave up to grab him. Crennel and Savage are under the gun, and this was their “do or die” move. They won’t see next year if they don’t make significant improvements this year. They can’t do that with Charlie fucking Frye.

Quinn, though I strongly dislike him and I don’t think he’ll ever be an ELITE NFL QB, is a very significant improvement. He should turn out to be a solid starter. Since they’ve significantly improved their O-line this offseason, he should have a good chance to show us just that. That is, until he comes to Pittsburgh…LOL

[quote]4est wrote:
A woman I know at work thought the draft was great…

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=070429_238_B1_hExBT66480&breadcrumb=Professional [/quote]

Was there a reason that Meachem chose Tennessee over my Sooners or even OSU? I used to live in Owasso and remember when he was recruited and chose Tennessee. I’m just curious what drew him to the Vols.

Dustin

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:a
Why do you say this? So they gave up next year’s #1, a pick they likely would have used on a QB next year without necessarily getting the #2 QB coming out. When you can get a franchise LT and a possible franchise QB in the same draft, why not do it? Quinn was almost the #1 pick taken in the draft. Besides, you can always trade up for a #1 pick next year. [/quote]

I say this… because they gave up a first round pick next year to trade up a few spots in the draft. It’s just a dumb trade in terms of expected value.

What they could’ve had after next year:

• Two players drafted in the top 15 picks and three players drafted in the top 35 picks

What they got:
-One player drafted in the top 15 and two in the top 35.

How can that possibly be an upgrade?

[quote]
Like I said earlier, I was glad they went with Thomas with their first pick because they had a bigger need at OL. Getting Quinn was a bonus, imo.
DB[/quote]

I definitly agree with you about that.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
BS. Quinn was a consensus top 10 pick, [/quote]

By everybody except those making the picks, apparently.

[quote]
which is what they possibly gave up to grab him. Crennel and Savage are under the gun, and this was their “do or die” move. They won’t see next year if they don’t make significant improvements this year. [/quote]

I definitely agree with you there. From that sense, it’s not a bad move. Make a bold deal that brings in a well-known, popular player. That way even if they have a shitty year, at least they are building for the future. So in terms of keeping the fan base happy and saving their asses, it is probably the right move.

[quote]
They can’t do that with Charlie fucking Frye. [/quote]

Why not? What was Damon Huard’s record as a starter last year? How bout Tony Romo? How has Jake Delhomme been doing since he was cut by the Saints?

On the other hand, how’s life on the David Carr front? Joey Harrington? What’s new on the Akili Smith and Cade McNown fronts?

Marginal QB prospects outperform their more heralded (and most likely better) peers all the time. The difference is the overall talent around them. How do you aquire that talent? Well, you probably don’t do it by throwing away picks every year.

[quote]
Quinn, though I strongly dislike him and I don’t think he’ll ever be an ELITE NFL QB, [/quote]

Wow, so basically we’re doing this all for a guy who’s probably not even going to be great? This trade makes even less sense!

[quote]
is a very significant improvement. He should turn out to be a solid starter. [/quote]

Maybe, but not this year. In fact, history would seem to indicate that, for this upcoming season, he’ll be about as good or maybe even worse as Charlie Fry was last year.

[quote]
Since they’ve significantly improved their O-line this offseason, he should have a good chance to show us just that.[/quote]

I agree with you there, but think about how much better their offensive line could be if they didn’t throw away a first round pick!