Next Step After 5x5?

Hey guys,

I wonder if anybody could recommend a good low rep program, I just finished Bill Starr’s 5x5. It was the perfect program for me, I had the idea of maybe just doing the program again but instead of doing…

Monday

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5

Wednesday

Squat 4x5
Military Press 4x5
Deadlift 4x5

Friday

Squat 4x5
1x3
1x8

Bench 4x5
1x3
1x8

Row 4x5
1x3
1x8

I would like to do with the same set rep scheme…

Monday

Deadlift
Bench
Row

Wednesday

Deadlift
Squat
Military press

Friday

Deadlift
Bench
Row

So what do you guys think, does the variation of this classic program work or does anybody recommend another low rep program.

Thanks for any help.

dow whatever you want man, nobody can answer this question better than you can.

you know what you can handle better than we do. find some exercises that you enjoy and that you want to make progress in, and plug away at those with some parameters for a set/rep scheme that you want to do and will improve with.

if you like 5 x 5, do it.

what i can share with you is personal experience. so although you just completed a 5 x 5 program, i’d recommend selecting some new parameters for your set/rep scheme. maybe 10 x 3? maybe 12 x 3? maybe 8 x 4 is you’re not too good with higher percentages. you need to pick something you’re pretty sure you’ll be able to perform. of course you can do 5 x 5 again, but i think it’s easy to fall into a particular set/rep scheme and never want to change. you need to step out of your comfort zone every once in awhile. eventually, change becomes comfortable.

basically, trust your instincts. that’s not to say you can’t take some pointers from outside yourself. i.e. a program from this website. but once your instincts are well-developed and you become attuned to your own body and its abilities, no program will ever be better for you than what you know yourself that you should/can perform. i don’t know what level of development you’re at, but i’d assume your instincts are not great yet simply because you’re asking for guidance on a webiste. and that’s totally alright.

but seriously, the best person to answer this question is you. trust your judgement.

does that make sense?

good luck.

It depends on how long you have been doing the 5x5. The advanced 3x3 program is on the same website as the 5x5. Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

6x6?

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
dow whatever you want man, nobody can answer this question better than you can.

you know what you can handle better than we do. find some exercises that you enjoy and that you want to make progress in, and plug away at those with some parameters for a set/rep scheme that you want to do and will improve with.

if you like 5 x 5, do it.

what i can share with you is personal experience. so although you just completed a 5 x 5 program, i’d recommend selecting some new parameters for your set/rep scheme. maybe 10 x 3? maybe 12 x 3? maybe 8 x 4 is you’re not too good with higher percentages. you need to pick something you’re pretty sure you’ll be able to perform. of course you can do 5 x 5 again, but i think it’s easy to fall into a particular set/rep scheme and never want to change. you need to step out of your comfort zone every once in awhile. eventually, change becomes comfortable.

basically, trust your instincts. that’s not to say you can’t take some pointers from outside yourself. i.e. a program from this website. but once your instincts are well-developed and you become attuned to your own body and its abilities, no program will ever be better for you than what you know yourself that you should/can perform. i don’t know what level of development you’re at, but i’d assume your instincts are not great yet simply because you’re asking for guidance on a webiste. and that’s totally alright.

but seriously, the best person to answer this question is you. trust your judgement.

does that make sense?

good luck.[/quote]

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, you make some really good points. To answer your question you make perfect sense.

3x3 is for pussys.

go with the 30x30.

Don’t ever stop doing a “program” that is working for you. You know the saying “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” right?

so damn true

yeah, you’ve got the ball run with it.