Next Max Effort 'Cycle'

So, I’m trying to fogure out what my training is going to be like after I finish up my cut. I’ll be following a WS4SB3 template, and I was wondering if you had any input on my selection of exercises. My main goals include a bigger bench/squat/deadlift and to gain some mass. I’m hoping to be able to bring up my weaknesses here and throw some pounds on my main lifts, then I can focus on whatever is weak after this.

I have trouble with my bench around halfway off my chest, the final portion of the lockout is easy, but theres a little hump right in the middle where I miss lifts.

I have trouble with the initial pull from the floor when deadlifting.

Squatting isn’t really a specific thing that I can tell.

Any comments on using dips to build tricep strength?

I can’t do board presses or I would, the pin on the rack is thankfully near my sticking point I think.

I’m thinking that by going in a 5rm-3rm-new exercise format that when I get back to doing full benches, or deadlifts, or whatever exercise it is that I’ll hit a PR. Basically by rotating this way I’m hoping to hit hit PRS on different exercises each week to know that I am progressing.

UPPER LOWER

1. Bench 5rm, Squats 5rm

2. Bench 3rm, Squats 3rm

3. Ralock 5rm, Deficit sumo 5rm

4. Ralock 3rm, Deficit sumo 3rm1.

5 Bench 5rm, Squats 5rm

1. Bench 3rm, Squats 3rm

2. Dips 5rm, Deficit sumo 5rm

3. Dips 3rm, Deficit sumo 3rm

4. Bench 5rm, Squats 5rm

5. Bench 3rm, Squats 3rm

6. Ralock 5rm, Deficit sumo 5rm

7. Ralock 3rm, Deficit sumo 3rm

13 Bench 5rm, Squats 5rm

1. Bench 3rm, Squats 3rm

2. Dips 5rm, Deficit sumo 5rm

3. Dips 3rm, Deficit sumo 3rm

4. 80% on max sets 50% volume on assistance work, avoid failure

5. Bench 1rm, sumo Deficit 1rm

6. Dips 5rm, Squats 1rm

After 18-19 weeks hopefully my bench/squat/dead will be up a ton.

will you include Dynamic effort in your workout…especially de ower days…i know the westside template but here a good de day lower i think can help!

Dynamic Effort Lower Body

A) Kneeling Barbell Jumps or Box Squat
8 sets of 2 (45 to 55%)

B) Speed Deadlifts Double Mini-bands
6 sets of 1 rep

C) Elevated Bulgerian Split Squats Holding One Dumbbell
3x8

D1) Weighted Swiss Balls Crunches
3x12

D2) Side Bends
3x12

for max effort im not a big fan of dips and lockout!!
but that just my 2 cents!!

Yeah, I will include dynamic work on lower days.

Any more input on dips?

When I was at the gym I was thinking maybe I should include some Dumbell pressing in there, I rarely use them. Maybe replace the dips with dumbell presses if others think the aren’t a good choice?

Or maybe sub some of the full benching for dumbells?

Really, your best bet is to just try things and see how they work. Different lifts have different carryover for different people (thats a mouthful haha).

Break your training down into 3-6 week blocks and pick a couple evaluator lifts (squat, bench, deadlift are ok). Test your lifts and see how your training carries over. Make your adjustment from there.

Thats how it would workout somewhat. No one can tell me if dips get my bench up because you don’t know my body any better than I do I assume.

In that setup Ill have two weeks where I try a different exercise, then whether or not I PR at the main lift I can gauge carryover. I’m at the point in my lifting where expecting PRs every week isn’t outrageous.

[quote]Defekt wrote:
Thats how it would workout somewhat. No one can tell me if dips get my bench up because you don’t know my body any better than I do I assume.

In that setup Ill have two weeks where I try a different exercise, then whether or not I PR at the main lift I can gauge carryover. I’m at the point in my lifting where expecting PRs every week isn’t outrageous. [/quote]

From my experience their is a good deal of transfer from doing weighed dips to benching. Just experiment and judge for yourself if its something that is of use to you. Only gonna find out by trying!

I don’t think 2 weeks is long enough. I would train for 3 weeks and then on your 4th week test your evaluator lift, if you want to use short blocks.

Either way, just train hard and heavy and strength will come.

I personally think that dips are a poor choice for max effort work, but if works for you then go for it.

As a side note. I think your priorities are messed up. Is your goal to be lean or to get strong. I think it is retarded to try to purposely stay lean and powerlift at the same time.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
I think it is retarded to try to purposely stay lean and powerlift at the same time. [/quote]

There are plenty of lifters that make sure they stay lean while powerlifting. Sam Byrd anyone?

His goals are his goals, saying his goals are retarded is a good way to turn people off to the sport.

ALL POWERLIFTERS R FAT LOLOLOL!!11!!! FTW

I’m dieting now, and using some random total body workout, I wll start this long block of training in about 6 weeks. I won’t mind some fat gain but obviously I don’t want it.

First of all, I can’t see the benefit of planning 19(!) weeks of training out on paper. I can never predict what I’m going to feel like a week from now, let alone 4 months from now. Too many things change to plan that far in advance. Try to think in 3-4 week incrememnts for actual programming. Each 3-4 week block should have a goal that brings you closer to your long-term goal.

If you are weak in the middle of your press then you are probably best served by floor presses with a definite pause at the bottom. Dips don’t carry over to my bench, but they might for you. Also, overhead rack lockouts are an underutilized ME movement that I feel has done me a lot of good. Some speed work would also help with technique and blasting through that sticking point.

i’s say dont plan so many weeks in advance, go on how you feel. utilize ME exercises that will assist your previous weeks one in order to continually to get stronger.

as far as staying lean while using westside…have fun.

i find westside great for building strength but do not expect to build strength if you are not eating enough the only thing you are going to be able to do is to maintain. the heavey lifting will surely help in assisting to prevent muscle loss when not eatig in a surplus, but dont expect to gain while maintaince eating.