Next Best Thing To ART?

Ive done a few searches on the net and I cant find any info regarding people practising ART in New Zealand let alone anywhere near where I live. …

is there anything else I can look into?

I would suggest you read up on the articles here regarding foam rollers and recently the one using tennis balls to find areas in need for release. I would also suggest physical therapy and possibly rolfing, although I’ve never tried it. Another thing that has helped me with some issues is yoga, even as little as once every week or two.

I agree with roofus. Foam rollers and other kinds of self soft tissue therapy.

[quote]Zell959 wrote:
I agree with roofus. Foam rollers and other kinds of self soft tissue therapy.[/quote]

I thrive on a PVC roller and normal massage. ART (or a similar therapy, ROLFING is one) is really the only thing that can help with specific issues like scar tissue adhesions about the shoulder. It’s really hard to get good pressure on a roller or ball in that kind of area.

-Dan

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
Zell959 wrote:
I agree with roofus. Foam rollers and other kinds of self soft tissue therapy.

I thrive on a PVC roller and normal massage. ART (or a similar therapy, ROLFING is one) is really the only thing that can help with specific issues like scar tissue adhesions about the shoulder. It’s really hard to get good pressure on a roller or ball in that kind of area.

-Dan[/quote]

Agreed, but is there anything that can even come close to ART since the unfortunate OP doesn’t seem to be able to get it? I think foam roller is as close as you can get unfortunatly. Its by no means a suitable replacement.

thanks guys… . yeah Ive read those articles before and tried a few of their techniques with some degree of success… . but itd still be nice to be seen to by an expert. …

alright if you want to contact the head office:

the search page for a provider in your area:

just change the country and state/province boxes. i would be surprised if there is not a provider somewhere thereabouts.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
alright if you want to contact the head office:

the search page for a provider in your area:

just change the country and state/province boxes. i would be surprised if there is not a provider somewhere thereabouts.[/quote]
nope… . not a soul in the whole country. …

have you emailed the ART people in the US?

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
have you emailed the ART people in the US?[/quote]

good point… . worth a shot Id say. …

Get certified or pay for someone to be certified. Corner the market. Open a clinic. Be the ART king of New Zeland!

check for a Nueromuscualr Therapist in your area. we have a technique called STR or ‘soft tissue release’, which is basically the same treatment modality as ART albeit slightly different.

some of the techniques for releasing myfascial adhesions are quite easy to learn. if you have a trusted partner they can induce an effective release in your hams, quads, calfs, pecs, lats quite easily while you yourself can release adhesions in your neck, hands, forearms, biceps and pecs.

the principal is simple - shorten (contract) the muscle - apply a firm pressure to the muscle with your hand (broad base) or finger (specific) - push the skin and underlying tissue in the direction of the contraction - actively lengthen the muscle while maintaining this pressure - you should feel an intense stretch or slight burn at the point of contact as the fascia is stretched independant of the moving muscle tissue underneath - this is ART or STR

Hey bro,

Where in NZ are you?

I moved to Melbourne 8 months ago but lived in Wellington for a large portion of the last 9 years. I’m sure I have heard of someone who does ART in that region. I will make a few calls and see what turns up.

Greg

While I love ART, and recommend it highly, I do think the techniques (in general) existed before Leahy/Tim Patterson (they may have perfected it for this kinda use). In any case, I forget the name, it may be myofascial release you are looking for e.g. a massage therapist who does that. Really any really good massage therapist might be of help depending on your problem, and their experience.