T Nation

News on CroCop

Hey guys, don’t know if this has already been posted but I found some info about Mirko:

Few good news from Mirko Cro Cop.
1st His right ankle is ok now
2nd Mirko buying cage for his tranings
3rd Cro Cop next fight maybe on UFC 73 - Sacramento (in July)???

Here’s the link in case you want to read it: http://mirko-cro-cop.blogspot.com/search/label/News%20(Cro%20Cop)

Personally I’m glad he’s not going to retire, and see him coming back even stronger.

Thanks for that, good news for sure. I’m a bit sceptical if he can find the motivation to come back at his previous level this time, though.

My guess is hes going to come back better then ever. Training in the cage is going to get him used to that environment, If he can get used to it like he did the ring be ready to see a massacre.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
Thanks for that, good news for sure. I’m a bit sceptical if he can find the motivation to come back at his previous level this time, though.[/quote]

Judging off past performances you would be wrong…

look what happened in his last two/three MMA loses - All resulted in a STRONG comeback. I believe this will be no different. I hope for the UFC he does.

It would be great to see him hungry and fighting in top form again. In addition to training in the cage, hopefully he’ll be training to defend against (and use) elbows. It would be great to see him come back and just clean house.

Good to know his ankle is ok.It looked so fucked up when he collapsed on it.

[quote]Damici wrote:
It would be great to see him come back and just clean house.[/quote]

OWGP 2006?

Hell yeah! I can’t wait to see him make a comeback.

So is Crocops everybodies Hero around here?

[quote]supermick wrote:

Judging off past performances you would be wrong…

look what happened in his last two/three MMA loses - All resulted in a STRONG comeback.

[/quote]

Agreed.

Mirko has competitive ADD. Some guys need to get their ass kicked every once in a while to keep him motivated.

Every time Cro Cop has lost, he has come back and absolutely wrecked people … until he gets bored and loses again. Mirko needs to be reminded every once and a while that anything can happen in a fight. That is the difference between him and all-time great champions like Fedor/Wandy/Hughes/Liddell who can bring their ‘A’ game time and time again even when nobody seems to be able to challenge them.

[quote]mr_slick wrote:
So is Crocops everybodies Hero around here?[/quote]

Hero is an over used word, but Mirko is about as admirable figure as you can find in professional sports. He lost his father at a young age, was dirt poor, and started training in his uncle’s sawmill with weights he made himself.

He grew up to be a police officer, special forces soldier, an amateur boxer, an elite professional kick boxer, an elite MMA fighter, an elected member of Croatian parliament, and he is raising a family all the while. He’s only 32 and he’s accomplished far more in his life than any of us could reasonably hope to.

I think Mirko is loved because he over comes these bumps in his career. He’s a man familiar with adversity who doesn’t just slip away, he comes back stronger each time.

anyone have a link to a video of his last fight in the ufc? it was taken down off youtube right away.

thanks.

(In best Terminator voice): “He’ll be back.”

I heard when he first singed with the UFC his master plan was to enter the 2007 Pride Heavyweight Grand Prix as the UFC Heavyweight Champ. Since a lot has changed since then(UFC buying Pride, and being out of the title hunt)I’m not sure if those are still his plans.

If there is a HWGP this year, I hope he is there and is in top form, cause I want to see Fedor vs CroCop 2(if CroCop shows up with his game face on).

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I heard when he first singed with the UFC his master plan was to enter the 2007 Pride Heavyweight Grand Prix as the UFC Heavyweight Champ.
[/quote]

That was a figment of some Sherdog fanboy’s imagination.

Filipovic signed a two-year six-fight deal with the UFC. There was no way in hell Dana White would have let him fight in Pride after winning the UFC belt.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
I heard when he first singed with the UFC his master plan was to enter the 2007 Pride Heavyweight Grand Prix as the UFC Heavyweight Champ.

Filipovic signed a two-year six-fight deal with the UFC. There was no way in hell Dana White would have let him fight in Pride after winning the UFC belt.[/quote]

Hmmm…I was almost certain that I saw something more official, but I’m probably wrong. Too bad politics has to get in the way of some great fights.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
mr_slick wrote:

Hero is an over used word, but Mirko is about as admirable figure as you can find in professional sports. He lost his father at a young age, was dirt poor, and started training in his uncle’s sawmill with weights he made himself.

He grew up to be a police officer, special forces soldier, an amateur boxer, an elite professional kick boxer, an elite MMA fighter, an elected member of Croatian parliament, and he is raising a family all the while. He’s only 32 and he’s accomplished far more in his life than any of us could reasonably hope to.

I think Mirko is loved because he over comes these bumps in his career. He’s a man familiar with adversity who doesn’t just slip away, he comes back stronger each time.[/quote]

Great post. 2006 was the best we have seen of Crocop, he looked phenomenal against Silva.
FYI Mirko also played soccer for a Croatian club in the top league in Croatia. I think he only played a couple of times but I bet there were no melees on those days!

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:

Filipovic signed a two-year six-fight deal with the UFC. There was no way in hell Dana White would have let him fight in Pride after winning the UFC belt.[/quote]

Actually in an interview with Gong magazine(A Japanese magazine) Mirko did state his plan was to win the UFC belt and fight Fedor on NYE in Japan in Pride. That was his hope and he felt if Dana White was going to let anybody fight in Pride with a UFC belt it would be him.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
mr_slick wrote:

I think Mirko is loved because he over comes these bumps in his career. He’s a man familiar with adversity who doesn’t just slip away, he comes back stronger each time.[/quote]

Good post.

Mr Slick, if you’re interested, look up the cro cop documentary on youtube. Lots of cool stuff in there.

It says on that link that his next fight will be in London on September 8th.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
If there is a HWGP this year, I hope he is there and is in top form, cause I want to see Fedor vs CroCop 2(if CroCop shows up with his game face on).
[/quote]

3…not that it really matters but i believe they already fought twice…the first time back in '05(Mirko lost)