T Nation

News Industry

This is exactly why the media should have no say when it comes to T-mag stuff…(look at the photo and caption for it)
http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/01/18/pitiful.physed.ap/index.html

those sure are funny lookin’ barbells

It’s not a mistake, those are barbells. It’s obvious that this kid is a giant. Just look at how big he is compared to the other kids in the picture. Jeez people, try to be a little more observant next time.

[quote]smallnomore wrote:
those sure are funny lookin’ barbells[/quote]

That’s what I was thinking.

[quote]Victor’s nationally recognized program includes rock-climbing, kayaking, cross-country skiing, archery and aerobic dance as options for students.

[/quote]

Ok, so I guess that’s better than nothing, but what ever happened to football, softball, basketball, dodgeball, track, and weightlifting? The stuff that made you actually break a sweat. Not that I wouldn’t be all over miss captian of the cheerleader squad in aerobic dance.

Well, the media doesn’t really have a say, but it sure as hell influences everyone who doesn’t know any better. Sigh.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
It’s not a mistake, those are barbells. It’s obvious that this kid is a giant. Just look at how big he is compared to the other kids in the picture. Jeez people, try to be a little more observant next time.[/quote]

bwahahahahaha

“There needs to be some sort of minimal national fitness standard – that would be a very easy thing to establish.”

What standard would they use for this. 5 mile run time? Pull/Push ups?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
smallnomore wrote:
those sure are funny lookin’ barbells

That’s what I was thinking.

Victor’s nationally recognized program includes rock-climbing, kayaking, cross-country skiing, archery and aerobic dance as options for students.

Ok, so I guess that’s better than nothing, but what ever happened to football, softball, basketball, dodgeball, track, and weightlifting? The stuff that made you actually break a sweat. Not that I wouldn’t be all over miss captian of the cheerleader squad in aerobic dance. [/quote]

rock climbing can be a badass workout, need help growin your forearms? go rock climbing

[quote]gadget wrote:
“There needs to be some sort of minimal national fitness standard – that would be a very easy thing to establish.”

What standard would they use for this. 5 mile run time? Pull/Push ups?[/quote]

In my Phy Ed days it was a 1 mile run and # of pull ups you could do. at the time I was a huge lazy fat ass and probably did about 1/8 of a pull up and walked the mile in about 20mins.

at least he didn’t drag the dumbells into the squat rack for those curls

In BC we had to do a 1 km run, standing long jump, number of situps in a minute, a timed flexed arm hang, and a forward reach.

I never liked PE because I don’t like team sports, but it sure would have been sweet to have a strength & conditioning class.