T Nation

Newbie W/ ?'s--Take It Easy On Me!

Start off by saying that I am 19 years old, bench about 215, but am now really looking to get strong all around.

I am a newbie–I admit it.
I have done two workouts for the last two years–bench press and curls. Yeah, I know I am dumb for doing this, so please take it easy on me! I have decided to focus more on a workout that works my whole body.

I am currently using the superhero program, but I want to edit it slightly to also include more leg workouts, so please let me know what I should add.

I just have a couple questions on squating. I have never done it before and when I tried it, it left me hurting for days. I was just wondering how I would go about doing this without it hurting for days. I never did it before because I usually try to play basketball several times a week and this just left me hurting to much to do so. I guess it will just take time for me to get used to it?

I am 6’3, 190 pounds and I try to take 200g of protein a day. I also take creatine.

Please post any answers/suggestions.

Thanks!

[quote]cpz wrote:
I just have a couple questions on squating. I have never done it before and when I tried it, it left me hurting for days. I was just wondering how I would go about doing this without it hurting for days. I never did it before because I usually try to play basketball several times a week and this just left me hurting to much to do so. I guess it will just take time for me to get used to it?

Thanks!
[/quote]

How much did you try squatting and how many sets/reps did you do?

I know this will really get a laugh–but I did 100 pounds, 10 reps.

[quote]cpz wrote:

[/quote]

no laughing here, I find it respectable that you were smart enough to realize you’d never done the exercise before and not load up 300 lbs on the bar and hurt yourself or do 1/4 reps and call yourself a badass.

As far as being sore, it happens. Especially if you’ve never done the exercise before. Not only are you using muscles you probably haven’t really used much before, you’re adding weight to them and using them in a motion your nervous system is entirely unfamiliar with. Don’t worry, the soreness will go away as you’re body figures out how to squat efficiently and your nervous system gets accustomed to firing those specific muscles in that specific order etc…

One thing that might help is to start off even lighter. When you get to the gym to squat start off with a set with just the bar, practice the motion, make sure your back is straight, chest up, ass down, etc… Check out this article by Mike Robertson:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-095-training

and this one by Dave Tate:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_149squat

for some tips on form and whatnot. Really get your form down with the bar, then try it with some weight on the bar (even if it’s just 95 or 100 or whatever). But concentrate on making every rep a perfect one. If you get to 6 in a set of 10 and feel like you’re starting to lose form, rack the weight, take a rest and do another set, you’ll be better off by far.

Think about it this way. When you first learned how to play basketball did you start off trying to dunk while spinning around in the air and doing a backflip or did you start by learning how to dribble and pass properly? Lifing should be the same, learn how to do the movement right before trying to use it as a tool to get stronger. It might take a little while, but you’ll probably find that all of a sudden it clicks one day and you can start going heavier.

Good luck and keep squatting,
Jay

Thanks a lot! I will read these and listen to your tips.

[quote]cpz wrote:

[/quote]

No laughing here either. Don’t get discouraged. Squatting really is the king of exercises. It will force your body to grow if you are diligent about it.

[quote]cpz wrote:
Thanks a lot! I will read these and listen to your tips.[/quote]

Great job on coming here and looking for advice in a respectful way, very impressive.

What is your food intake like? I know you mentioned 200g of protien, but you will get the most gains from quality food, any chance on posting your food log?

If I find time I will try to post my food log, but I doubt I will be able to.

My food is mostly healthy, tons of walnuts, vegetables, oatmeal, wheat bread, fish, and the like. Only time I eat bad foods would be when my buddies want to go out.

Thanks again guys.