Newbie- Protein & Creatine?

Hi,

I currently use 6 star protein, sixstarmuscle.com/products/protein/index.shtml

It’s pretty good, I think. The only problem is that 2lbs doesn’t last very long. So, my question is, are the additives in six star protein important enough to actually continue buying it? Or would I be better off buying a 4lb tub of ON (or something) and getting some micronized creatine instead?

I’m pretty new to the lifting game regardless, so should I even bother buying creatine?

Thanks,
Cody

[quote]CFXisonLL wrote:
Hi,

I currently use 6 star protein, sixstarmuscle.com/products/protein/index.shtml

It’s pretty good, I think. The only problem is that 2lbs doesn’t last very long. So, my question is, are the additives in six star protein important enough to actually continue buying it? Or would I be better off buying a 4lb tub of ON (or something) and getting some micronized creatine instead? I’m pretty new to the lifting game regardless, so should I even bother buying creatine?

Thanks,
Cody[/quote]

Creatine is good but I would never have it pre-mixed with my protein. I much prefer being able to accurately control my intake of creatine while I’m on it.

As for it being good for a beginner - yes. The upshot is increased delivery ability during workouts, reducing fatigue and allowing you to get reps in, thus stimulating the muscle fibers more than you would have without. These extra stimulations lead to actual strength and size gains, so don’t listen to anyone that says that creatine merely adds water size and should be avoided.

As usual, if you are under 18 I can’t recommend you use any supplements because you probably don’t need them yet. Just eat right and get rest.

[quote]meanest wrote:
Creatine is good but I would never have it pre-mixed with my protein. I much prefer being able to accurately control my intake of creatine while I’m on it.

As for it being good for a beginner - yes. The upshot is increased delivery ability during workouts, reducing fatigue and allowing you to get reps in, thus stimulating the muscle fibers more than you would have without. These extra stimulations lead to actual strength and size gains, so don’t listen to anyone that says that creatine merely adds water size and should be avoided.

As usual, if you are under 18 I can’t recommend you use any supplements because you probably don’t need them yet. Just eat right and get rest.[/quote]

Hey,

Thanks for the response. I was starting to think the same about pre-mixed vs. not. So I decided to buy a 5lb tub of ON whey (strawberry flavor) and 600g of creatine monohydrate (since it’s cheaper, and apparently the differences are negligible) :slight_smile: Hopefully this will last longer, haha. Spending $25 every 9 days on whey isn’t exactly ideal.

I’m 19 next month, forgot to include that in the OP.

Cody

Those all-in-one pre-mixed products are generally worthless:

1. You’re paying a HUGE premium to mix a couple things together
  2. You don’t really know what’s in their “top secret” proprietary blend

High quality whey + l-glutamine + creatine + multivitamin is more than enough.