Newbie on the Comeback

Any advice on what types of lifts for someone back in gym post 20 yr layoff.

[quote]Mike Tate wrote:
Any advice on what types of lifts for someone back in gym post 20 yr layoff. [/quote]

Wow, 20 years? Congrats on your decision to come back…

What are your current stats, goals, and overall fitness level?

I am not trying to add large amounts of bulk. Just some
serious tone !! 5-10 205lbs ok shape

I’d do a simple 3x a week total body program focusing on squats, bench, deadlifts and chins for about 4 weeks and then progress to something more advanced.

By then you should have a substantial amount of strength back and muscle memory going for you.

[quote]Brendan Ryan wrote:
I’d do a simple 3x a week total body program focusing on squats, bench, deadlifts and chins for about 4 weeks and then progress to something more advanced.

By then you should have a substantial amount of strength back and muscle memory going for you.[/quote]

X2.

Focus on compound movements even though you will probably have a desire to do ancillary exercises.

Check your ego at the door, use light weight, and practice STRICT form.

If I could go back 8 years, I would have done essentially evrything Brendan stated in his post.

Good luck.

i’d definitely go with full body workouts (heck, i still do). however, i wouldnt neglect isolation exercises because of two reasons:

1)to develop all muscles equally and to there fullest potential, isolation exercises may be needed.

1. to develop a good mind/muscle connection for all muscles.

you dont want to start a more advanced routine down the road and then say to yourself “why arent my biceps firing properly for curls?”

but stick with basic isolation exercises (BB curls, skull crushers, standing calve raises etc)