Newbie, New on Androgel, New Labs

Hey Guys,

Back in February I had my annual physical and lab work done. My testosterone level was at 344.9.
About 5-weeks ago my new Primary Care Physician prescribed me Androgel 1.62% (2-pumps each morning).
I am feeling a little better now with more energy, libido, and early morning wood on most days.
Last week I went back in to have blood drawn to check my new levels. They came back today and they were at (see below).

Testosterone: 10.5 ng/mL (Males: 18-66 Years Old = 1.75-7.81 ng/mL)
Testosterone, Free: 21.00 pg/ml (Reference Range 3.8-34.2)

I guess I was looking for a number greater then 344.9.
Can you guys please better help me understand these numbers?

Please let me know if you need me to provide any additional information about myself.

Thanks in advance for any\all replies.

I forgot to mention that when my doctor called to give me the new lab results today he said that I was at a good level and that I should continue at the current dosage. He never did ask me how I was feeling overall.

Also, when I went to my doctor?s office last week to have blood drawn I brought to him a list of the ?Labs to be done when on TRT?, that I copied of this forum.

-TT
-FT or bio-T
-E2
-Prolactin
-DHT
-LH/FSH
-PSA

He gave me a brief explanation of each but said most were not needed at this time. I wish he had included them anyway.

I also read on this forum that one shouldn?t be concerned so much with the numbers but rather on how one feels once on TRT.
Like I mentioned in my previous post, overall I feel a little better but I would really like to know if I am at optimum levels and that this Androgel 1.62% is really working for me.

[quote]MrTude wrote:
I forgot to mention that when my doctor called to give me the new lab results today he said that I was at a good level and that I should continue at the current dosage. He never did ask me how I was feeling overall.

Also, when I went to my doctor?s office last week to have blood drawn I brought to him a list of the ?Labs to be done when on TRT?, that I copied of this forum.

-TT
-FT or bio-T
-E2
-Prolactin
-DHT
-LH/FSH
-PSA

He gave me a brief explanation of each but said most were not needed at this time. I wish he had included them anyway.

I also read on this forum that one shouldn?t be concerned so much with the numbers but rather on how one feels once on TRT.
Like I mentioned in my previous post, overall I feel a little better but I would really like to know if I am at optimum levels and that this Androgel 1.62% is really working for me.[/quote]

Just multiply your result by 100 to get your value into ng/dl. So yes your value was 1050.

Would be good to get E2 to see what that is doing. LH,FSH will probably be supressed probably don’t need to get that measured once on trt.

Unless you have reason to believe you might be secondary then lh,fsh,prolactin would be definitely worth checking.

PSA can’t hurt.

I think if you push hard enough your doctor will run the tests. But by all means get E2 checked!

[quote]MrTude wrote:
Hey Guys,

Back in February I had my annual physical and lab work done. My testosterone level was at 344.9.
About 5-weeks ago my new Primary Care Physician prescribed me Androgel 1.62% (2-pumps each morning).
I am feeling a little better now with more energy, libido, and early morning wood on most days.
Last week I went back in to have blood drawn to check my new levels. They came back today and they were at (see below).

Testosterone: 10.5 ng/mL (Males: 18-66 Years Old = 1.75-7.81 ng/mL)
Testosterone, Free: 21.00 pg/ml (Reference Range 3.8-34.2)

I guess I was looking for a number greater then 344.9.
Can you guys please better help me understand these numbers?

Please let me know if you need me to provide any additional information about myself.

Thanks in advance for any\all replies.[/quote]

On 2 pumps These numbers are false. You probably had site contamination where blood was drawn causing false elevation.
I do not advocate TRT right off the bat with out looking at the possible pathology of how those levels where acquired. I see too many young guys being condemn for no reason except the laziness of the Dr. If you are over 35 then I’d say go for it. In majority of cases on TRT it was masking a deeper issue which now is coming back to haunt people because the Dr was lazy and did not look in the first place.
Your thyroid, adrenals, and other parameters where never check this is common in cases like yours.

Thanks guys for the replies.

@Hardasnails, so you are saying that with only 2-pumps of Androgel 1.62% a day there is no way I could have those numbers?

I agree that it is a big jump from 344.9 to 1050.

I have the same routine each morning after I get out of the shower and dry off. I apply 1-pump of Androgel to each shoulder\upper back area, then wait about 10-15 for it to dry then put on my white cotton undershirt, and then finish getting dressed\ready for work.
My appointment last week to get my blood drawn for my latest labs was at 8:00 am and about 1-hour after I applied the Androgel. When I got to my doctors office I never took off my shirt and they drew blood from my forearm.

Would you please explain to me how I might have had site contamination and possibly causing the false elevation?

A little background about myself:
I am a 44-year-old single parent who is just trying my best to keep up with my 17-year-old son. Lol
I do not smoke or do drugs, and only drink socially. I am short\stocky and could definitely lose some weight. I work out at the gym at least 3x a week with my son but do not really do any cardio, as I find it extremely boring.
I also have Lone Atrial Fibrillation (since '97) and take 360mg Diltiazem and one aspirin each morning.
I have had most of the classic symptoms of Low-T for some time now but just figured I was getting old.

I did have my complete lab work done back in February. It is a 3-page PDF file that I was able to export to an image file so I could attach it here, but it is 3 separate image files.
I think you only have an option to attach one image file?

I do not fully understand all the numbers but my new Doctor said that everything looked to be ok except for my cholesterol levels were high and that I should start eating better, drop some weight, and start taking B-complex and multivitamins.

How often should one have labs done when on TRT?

[quote]MrTude wrote:
Thanks guys for the replies.

@Hardasnails, so you are saying that with only 2-pumps of Androgel 1.62% a day there is no way I could have those numbers?

I agree that it is a big jump from 344.9 to 1050.

I have the same routine each morning after I get out of the shower and dry off. I apply 1-pump of Androgel to each shoulder\upper back area, then wait about 10-15 for it to dry then put on my white cotton undershirt, and then finish getting dressed\ready for work.
My appointment last week to get my blood drawn for my latest labs was at 8:00 am and about 1-hour after I applied the Androgel. When I got to my doctors office I never took off my shirt and they drew blood from my forearm.

Would you please explain to me how I might have had site contamination and possibly causing the false elevation?

A little background about myself:
I am a 44-year-old single parent who is just trying my best to keep up with my 17-year-old son. Lol
I do not smoke or do drugs, and only drink socially. I am short\stocky and could definitely lose some weight. I work out at the gym at least 3x a week with my son but do not really do any cardio, as I find it extremely boring.
I also have Lone Atrial Fibrillation (since '97) and take 360mg Diltiazem and one aspirin each morning.
I have had most of the classic symptoms of Low-T for some time now but just figured I was getting old.

I did have my complete lab work done back in February. It is a 3-page PDF file that I was able to export to an image file so I could attach it here, but it is 3 separate image files.
I think you only have an option to attach one image file?

I do not fully understand all the numbers but my new Doctor said that everything looked to be ok except for my cholesterol levels were high and that I should start eating better, drop some weight, and start taking B-complex and multivitamins.

How often should one have labs done when on TRT?[/quote]

I hav Dr go 7 days after application to get baseline test to see if will absorb on 4 pumps
then if after 7 days there is no increase goto injection do not waste time trying things out or switch to a different Gel testim. If one testim test in 7 days to see if you have better absorption if not do not waste time goto shots

Just on T along test in 5 weeks
Once T and e2 stablize for 6-8 weeks then add small dosages of HCG 100 ius 2-3 times a week.
After 3 weeks remeasure. If there is a huge spike in e2 reduce dosage to bare mimum just to keep the recptors alive with some LH
once HCG is stablized time check DHEA-s levels as they may drop
If Dhea is added 25 mgs per day 3 weeks check levels along with e2 then made correction with AI if needed
Once every 6 weeks for 1-2 time then when everything else is finally stable onc every 12 week then 24 weeks.
After 6 month recheck thyroid parameters…

[quote]Hardasnails wrote:

I hav Dr go 7 days after application to get baseline test to see if will absorb on 4 pumps
then if after 7 days there is no increase goto injection do not waste time trying things out or switch to a different Gel testim. If one testim test in 7 days to see if you have better absorption if not do not waste time goto shots

Just on T along test in 5 weeks
Once T and e2 stablize for 6-8 weeks then add small dosages of HCG 100 ius 2-3 times a week.
After 3 weeks remeasure. If there is a huge spike in e2 reduce dosage to bare mimum just to keep the recptors alive with some LH
once HCG is stablized time check DHEA-s levels as they may drop
If Dhea is added 25 mgs per day 3 weeks check levels along with e2 then made correction with AI if needed
Once every 6 weeks for 1-2 time then when everything else is finally stable onc every 12 week then 24 weeks.
After 6 month recheck thyroid parameters…[/quote]

Thanks Hardasnails, but you went a little too deep for me. Lol
This is all new to me and I am trying to read as much as I can and better educate myself about TRT.
For now I am just on Androgel 1.62% and will continue to stay on this for awhile to see how things work out for me. Perhaps later down the road injections may be an option.

Would you mind commenting on why you think my numbers must be false with just 2-pumps a day, and how I might of had site contamination?

[quote]MrTude wrote:
Would you mind commenting on why you think my numbers must be false with just 2-pumps a day, and how I might of had site contamination?[/quote]

Not to speak for HAN, but I believe he was saying it was possible you had applied it before and then got the draw, thus contaminating the sample (got the gel mixed in with the needle/blood). This obviously isn’t the case–your numbers are reflective of your true blood levels.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]MrTude wrote:
Would you mind commenting on why you think my numbers must be false with just 2-pumps a day, and how I might of had site contamination?[/quote]

Not to speak for HAN, but I believe he was saying it was possible you had applied it before and then got the draw, thus contaminating the sample (got the gel mixed in with the needle/blood). This obviously isn’t the case–your numbers are reflective of your true blood levels.[/quote]

Thanks VTBalla34.
So it is possible that my numbers increased from 344.9 to 1050 on just 2-pumps a day of Androgel 1.62%?

So 6-weeks on the Androgel and feeling pretty good, more energy and working out more often.

How often should I have my labs done?

looks like it…and if youre feeling good at that dose, then all the better…

If you have a protocol that is working for you, I think twice per year sounds about right to make sure all your blood markers are in order…your doctor will advise you.