T Nation

Newbie Needs Help

Hi All!

I’m 28 years old, started to lift since 2 months with an all around routine (full body).

Now I need to change my workout schedule, a friend suggested me these workout routines 3 times per week switching the order each next week (for ex. A-B-A, B-A-B):

What do you think?

I’m 5’8â?? and my weight is 155lbs, lean body mass maybe around 15%.

Thanks!

Go to the Beginner section.

Read everything there.

ALL your answers are there.

Good luck and be consistent.

Where’s the workout routine?

[quote]BarbellAddicted wrote:
Now I need to change my workout schedule, a friend suggested me these workout routines 3 times per week switching the order each next week (for ex. A-B-A, B-A-B):
[/quote]
As a rank-beginner you would probably see better results running 3 different full body routines 3 days per week. You should be able to achieve great results for some time before stalling.

An Example would look like this:
M: Full Body A
T: Rest
W: Full Body B
Th:Rest
F: Full Body C

Once you truly stall you can move to an A-B-A style split which would give certain muscle groups more rest between sessions.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]BarbellAddicted wrote:
[/quote]
As a rank-beginner you would probably see better results running 3 different full body routines 3 days per week. You should be able to achieve great results for some time before stalling.

An Example would look like this:
M: Full Body A
T: Rest
W: Full Body B
Th:Rest
F: Full Body C

Once you truly stall you can move to an A-B-A style split which would give certain muscle groups more rest between sessions. [/quote]
Why do you say this? A lot of beginner routines are ABA, BAB, with both A and B being full-body. For instance, SL and SS both follow this pattern.

[quote]Silyak wrote:
Why do you say this? A lot of beginner routines are ABA, BAB, with both A and B being full-body. For instance, SL and SS both follow this pattern.
[/quote]
I simply told the OP to hit a full body routine 3 times per week. I feel like you are trying to argue semantics at this point since you are saying the same thing.

And once he stalls my advice for the A-B-A, B-A-B was A=upper, B=lower.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Silyak wrote:
[/quote]
I simply told the OP to hit a full body routine 3 times per week. I feel like you are trying to argue semantics at this point since you are saying the same thing.

And once he stalls my advice for the A-B-A, B-A-B was A=upper, B=lower. [/quote]
Don’t mean to argue semantics. I just thought you were saying that the three full body routines should be different and I didn’t know why that should necessarily be the case.

[quote]Silyak wrote:
I just thought you were saying that the three full body routines should be different and I didn’t know why that should necessarily be the case.[/quote]
Lets purposely polarize the question…

Should the OP do the same workout all three days?
I believe most would say no even though a lot of beginners designing their own workout do just that. The “pros” of such a routine would be quicker results on the movements you are using. The “cons” would be faster plateaus and a stale routine.

Should the OP do 2 different workouts alternating days?
As you have pointed out plenty of programs are designed this way. Similar “pros” and “Cons” with slower results due to a larger variety of movements but also slower to plateau or get bored.

Should the OP do 3 different workouts rotating days?
Similar “pros” and “Cons” with slower results due to a larger variety of movements but also slower to plateau or get bored.

So where does it end? I have no idea. I think a lot of programs for beginners are designed with a balance of results and boredom in mind. That is to say people that don’t see results will quit but so will people that get bored so the most successful programs balance the two. Whether that balance is best achieved through 2 or 3 rotating workouts… who knows. Probably depends on the person.

^ Very nicely laid out. Solid points.

[quote]Silyak wrote:
Don’t mean to argue semantics. I just thought you were saying that the three full body routines should be different and I didn’t know why that should necessarily be the case.[/quote]
Waterbury has several program that use 3 or 4 different full body workouts through the week, almost always manipulating the sets/reps on different days. So, for example, one day everything’s worked with sets of 5, next session everything’s worked with sets of 8, next session everything’s worked with sets of 15. The different rep ranges will also, obviously, lend themselves to working “better” with some exercises rather than others - you’re not doing laterals for sets of 5 or deadlifts for sets of 15.

Just another way to provide new stimulus for continued progress. One’s not more right than the other.