Newbie Needs Help ASAP

Started lifting to add bulk about week and half ago.
I was sore the next day for the muscles I worked out the day before.

My problem is my Left Pec seems swollen…it is definitly bigger then my right.
My left side is my weeker side,and I definitly had to push harder doing chest then my right.

I did chest on monday its now thursday…is it just swollen? should I lay off chest for a week or keep going.Monday is chest day should I just skip it?

I mean if all my muscles responded that way I would be huge in a month.

thanks for any advice.

How sore? Can you move your arm in full range of motion?

[quote]knicks0820 wrote:
Started lifting to add bulk about week and half ago.
I was sore the next day for the muscles I worked out the day before.

My problem is my Left Pec seems swollen…it is definitly bigger then my right.
My left side is my weeker side,and I definitly had to push harder doing chest then my right.

I did chest on monday its now thursday…is it just swollen? should I lay off chest for a week or keep going.Monday is chest day should I just skip it?

I mean if all my muscles responded that way I would be huge in a month.

thanks for any advice.[/quote]

is it still sore?

Its not that sore anymore,feels a little weaker and taxed if that makes sense,but I have full range and everything.
It feels like the whole muscle and just happened when I started lifting(no bumps or tumor like feeling)

make sure your bench was balanced, sometimes the weight can move slightly and mess you up.

thanks guys…I will wait till the swelling goes down before I do chest again.Its not painfull but I can feel its week…I dont want to push it anymore then I already have.

It just sucks though cause my motivation is sky high and I dont want any setbacks.

[quote]knicks0820 wrote:
thanks guys…I will wait till the swelling goes down before I do chest again.Its not painfull but I can feel its week…I dont want to push it anymore then I already have.

It just sucks though cause my motivation is sky high and I dont want any setbacks.[/quote]

Well I will take the other side of the coin here and say you even moreso as a newbie are going to have to work through some soreness. just to get your body to adapt. You are going to bve sore and in the beginng for LONG periods of time.

I would train HARD but a bit short of failure and work throuhg some minor soreness. You will adapt you will get better at recovery etc. just dont work throuhg real PAIN!!. Even go in and take it a bit easier when still sore

Phill

I totally agree with what phil said but would like to add one thing. Assuming you didn’t actually injure yourself (read that again, it’s important), doing a light chest workout a day or two after a heavy one will most likely help relieve soreness.

If I’m really sore after a heavy workout, on my rest day I’ll go to the gym and do a nice easy 10 or 15 minutes on either the rower, cross trainer, or elliptical (I like the upper body movement involved, swimming would also be great if you have access to a pool. I tend to avoid running when not at rugby as I get killer shin splints).

After that I’ll hit the weights for a nice and quick, light full body workout. Never going even remotely heavy, but using enough weight to at least provide some resistance (squatting the bar ain’t gonna do it here, but 50-60% max is probably enough).

This is also a great time to experiment with a new exercise or check your form with lighter weights. I’ll usually finish up with some nice relaxing stretching. All total I probably spend no more than half an hour or 45 minutes in the gym, but it really seems to help the recovery.

Note that this is not a workout, I’ll get warm, break a light sweat, and get the blood moving a bit, but by the time I’m showered and leaving the gym I should just feel refreshed, not like I just exercised. Also, don’t let this replace all your rest days. Sometimes the body, and mind, just need a day to veg out on the couch watching sports and not moving except to get another beer, grab some food, or take a leak.