Newbie Needs Advice Please

Hi Everyone, ive just joined this site, its awesome, been through a few posts, lots of help for the future for me. One thing im needing as a beginner to the workout and gym world, is a 3 day a week workout program, BUT I only have a barbell with changeable weights and a treadmill at present.

Can anyone assist me with a workout routine that will work all areas in the body but only with the use of a barbell. Bear in mind that i dont have a bench. Sit ups and push and all other non weight routines are welcome. Oh and i have one of those gym balls.

Thanks so much and looking forward to your replies. I little info, i am 31 years old, 178cm tall, weigh 78 kgs and am pretty active.

thanks

That’s my dream, to get only a barbell and a lot of weights…

Well, you can do deadlifts, and you’ll have to do a lot of them :smiley:

You can do barbell rows, but you have to first deadlift the weight. See how it’s nice? :smiley:

You can learn to clean the barbell on to your shoulders and do various overhead presses, but before you clean it you have to deadlift it :smiley:

I dunno, that would be it, you can also do front squats…

Listen, lets do this.

go to Google.com and start looking up “free weight barbell exercises” that should get you started

do 2 upper body days and 1 lower body per week

day 1 upper
day 2 off
day 3 lower
day 4 off
day 5 upper
day 6 off
day 7 off

nice nad simple

upper body days pick 6 exercises from your research, perform them, make sure 4 out of the 6 exercises mimic pulling motion and two a pushing motion.

Lower body days

Learn proper back/from squat (your tall so from squat might work better. Deadlift for damn sure

GOOD LUCK, once you advance further on this plan, ask for further help, we are here for you

I would say front squat every workout for a while by cleaning the weight to the shoulders. Also press the weight overhead and you can do floor presses instead of bench. Alternate those 2 lifts. Then alternate the deadlift and powerclean.

Basically a makeshift version of the “starting strength” program. It will serve you well.

T-Beast
Level 0
Blog
Photos
Videos
Favorites
Find Posts
Chat

Listen, lets do this.

go to Google.com and start looking up “free weight barbell exercises” that should get you started

do 2 upper body days and 1 lower body per week

day 1 upper
day 2 off
day 3 lower
day 4 off
day 5 upper
day 6 off
day 7 off

nice nad simple

upper body days pick 6 exercises from your research, perform them, make sure 4 out of the 6 exercises mimic pulling motion and two a pushing motion.

Lower body days

Learn proper back/from squat (your tall so from squat might work better. Deadlift for damn sure

GOOD LUCK, once you advance further on this plan, ask for further help, we are here for you

----------    -------------    ----

Thanks guys for your rapid response, im so amped to get started. T-Beast, i looked on google, came across a few sites, but my knowledge being so poor on this subject, I hope i have gathered the correct info. Can you or anyone else please observe these exercises i found and tell me if they would be correct for the above mentioned workout programme.

UPPER BODY
Shoulder press
High Pulls
Deadlift
Bent over rows
Power clean

LOWER BODY
Squat
Deadlift
Lunge

Any additional exercise please advise.

Also how many sets and reps would be rquired. Thanks alot guys, this site is wicked, im sure I will achieve my goal with all the help and info on this site.

Looking forward to your replies

Thanks

Join a gym, problem solved.

[quote]MUthrows94 wrote:
Join a gym, problem solved.[/quote]

Easier said than done, unfortunately the nearest gym is quite a distance from where i reside, thats why i turned to this site for some help and advice, im sure i will get all the info required. lol.

change the power clean to something else, such as bench press, or floor press(bench press without the bench).

lower body looks good for the first 6 weeks, we can tweak after.

stick with 12-15 reps 3-4 sets to establish neuromuscular connection and jsut get your body moving. again tweaking that will follow after the first 6 weeks at least.

[quote]
stick with 12-15 reps 3-4 sets to establish neuromuscular connection /quote]

Do you mean 3-4 sets per each exercise for that particular day or routine and how long should i rest between each set. Sorry man this is all new to me, these questions probably sound so child like. Im probably going to get some dumbells this weekend. Do you not by any chance have a workout routine for me or know of thats self explainatry. Once again thanks for all the advice so far, and hopefully i can get a home gym built up sometime.

yes. 3-4 sets per exercise, 12-15 repetitions per set. so total about 50-60 reps per exercise. BEtween sets rest 45-70 seconds.

you dont need a home gym, try the following for success

take a little bit of barbell add some dumbell, mix with a whole lotta floor space, and some Biotest supplements and you arei n for success, start. dont set start dates, just do teh first upper body weorkout today. with the bar that you do have. just get it done. sounds good?

Thanks T-Beast, im on my way.

[quote]T-Beast wrote:
change the power clean to something else, such as bench press, or floor press(bench press without the bench).

lower body looks good for the first 6 weeks, we can tweak after.

stick with 12-15 reps 3-4 sets to establish neuromuscular connection and jsut get your body moving. again tweaking that will follow after the first 6 weeks at least. [/quote]

If sticking with the cleans then a hang clean would be better. Focus on form and get your balance solid with the hang clean before you move to the power clean. You can work with a lower weight while getting your form correct, and once your form is right move the weight up. You can see it here http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

I look forward to following your progress.

Just get at it. Too much thinking and not enough doing.

do it like the kitty hahaha lets get a more manly avatar, not that i sohuld be the one telling you that haha

The kitty is the only thing that i coulod think, cabt put i pic of myself yet, Im a NEWBIE, LOL, Hopefully one day ill put a personal avatar on, after some progress lol.