T Nation

Newbie Needing Advice

Hi guys, iv used weights for over 6 years now throughout my thai boxing career. However i am not retired from fighting and am looking to take up bodybuilding.

Im looking to put on SIZE im not to worried about strength as it is increasing each week anyway, My question is what sets and reps should i do?

3 x 8?
or
5 x 5?

Also Do you think i will see gains? or do some people just not grow and only get stronger? so far i don’t see any difference in my body and i have been training a month.

here is my routine so far below… i bench twice a week by the way.

Monday:

Bench: 40KG x 12, 3 sets of 8 -50KG
Incline Fly: 3 x 8
Shoulder press: 3 x 8 - 40KG
Tricep Pushdown: 3 x 8 55KG

Tues:
Deadlift: 4 x 8 - 110KG
Leg Press: 4 x 8 120KG
Bicep Curls: 4 x 8 35KG
Lat Pulldown: 4 x 8

Rest

Friday:
Bench: 40KG x 12, 3 sets of 8 -50KG
Bicep Curls: 4 x 8 35KG

Man… I’m really not sure what to tell you. Here’s some general guidelines.

TO put on muscle mass, you need to a) get stronger and b) eat enough. The way to do this is simple- in the gym, bust your ass each time with big, heavy exercises (I don’t think there’ll be too much difference between 3x8 and 5x5), and each week at the same time, hop on the scale. If the weight is slowly going up, you’re good. If not, eat more.

And you definitely need more lower body work.

[quote]MuayTom wrote:
so far i don’t see any difference in my body and i have been training a month.[/quote]

That’s nice. Stick with it for 6 months or so, and if you’ve been lifting hard and eating enough, you’ll see the difference. Try weighing yourself every 4 weeks or so, and if you haven’t gained 2-3 lbs, force yourself to eat more.

You need to squat every workout. It does not have to be high volume (5x5 or 3x8), but it needs to be intense (heavy weights). I tried 3x6-8 for 6 months or so and got great gains with it, same with 5 reps sets. I recommend starting strength by mark rippetoe. You need to build a foundation of strength. The heavier weights you can use with 5 reps, the heavier you will be able to use on high reps. For that reason it is logical to train for strength until you can at least go ATG squat with 1.5 x your bodyweight. Thats my advice, keep it up! Oh yeah and drink lots of milk. SQUATS AND MILK!

hi guys, iv been cutting but iv actually seen gains i was down to 94KG now im back up to 96KG and i am noticeably bigger today guess its working and im on 1600 calories a day!

ill replace leg presses with squats i agree more leg work is needed i appreciate your advice guys.