T Nation

Newbie Needing a Diet Please

Hi guys, I had a lad on twitter (craig jones) direct me to this site. His before and after picture really has given me hope and motivation for my overweight shapeless self to get back into training.

There is a gym at the bottom of the road I will join so I’d really appreciate it if someone could help me out with a diet please.

My goals are currently to get toned up for the 3rd August, my 30th!!!

I’m currently unsure what I weigh but I would have a stab at 85kg. Height 176cm.

Cheers people :slight_smile:

Find out your weight and calculate how many calories you need to consume to maintain that weight. If you want to gain weight, eat more than that number. If you want to lose weight, eat less.

Eat at least 2g of protein per kg of body weight. Divide the rest of your daily calorie count between carbohydrates and fat, different people will tell you different things about how much of each to eat. It may take a little experimentation to find what makes you feel best.

Do basic compound lifts at the gym: Squats, deadlifts, bench presses, military presses. Don’t worry about isolation exercises (except maybe one or two for fun) until you’ve established a base level of strength, technique and muscle mass.

Lastly, don’t think of it as hitting a goal like toning up for your birthday. Fitness is not something you do once and forget about, like graduating high school. If you want to change your body, you have to change your life.

rds##### needs to get his beginner nutrition theory out here