T Nation

Newbie Looking for a Routine

I’ve been on a few forums and some people have suggested I should do Starting strength to begin with but apparently a few posts on this site say otherwise since I ideally want to train for body building can anyone recommend a good routine for me to follow?

Read through here: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/do_this_routine_instead_of_that_dumb_one

Try Starting strength for 6-8 weeks to learn the main lifts then move on to a bb split

I agree with badger. Starting atrength is great for any one knew to lifting and those 6 weeks will be nothing but benifical to you in the long run.

Ahem methinks it should be more like 8-16 weeks. To be honest.

“Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder…But don’t nobody want to lift heavy ass weights!”

Seriously man. Get strong first, then worry about what you want to do with it. Whether you plan to become a bodybuilder, powerlifter, olympic lifter… They all start with maximising your baseline strength. Do that, get your squat up to 1.5x bw and your bench to 1x bw - then you won’t be a total novice anymore.

If you dont want to do starting strenght, then perhaps a upper/lower split will be good for you.

Suggestion:

Upperbody days:
Chest.
Lats.
Shoulders.
Upperback.
Triceps.
Biceps.

Lowerbody days:
Quads.
Hams/lowback.
Abs.

Choose compound movements for the most part and try to increase your strenght in all exercises.