T Nation

Newbie Just Looking For Some Assistance

Hey guys,

I just have a couple questions and need some help.

I am 6' 2" 185lbs I have no clue what my BFP is, but I have visible abs so it is fairly low and just looking to put on 15-20lbs of muscle. I am an athlete as well so I don't want to get too bulky. Basically I want the typical athlete/beach body look.

So, that means I am looking to gain mass. I have been browsing the Beginner help threads and looking at some programs. The program I like the best so far is a Total-Body Training: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/totalbody_training

However, I was also reading Chris Thibaudeau post for creating a routine and he says full body routines are best for strength. Additionally, I'm not sure if I can add an ab workout to the full body program?

My basic question is for my goals (increased size while staying lean) what is the best split? Upper/Lower? Full Body? etc and do you have any routines you recommend?

Thanks! I am liking this forum a lot!

Edit: Would I be able to modify Chad Waterbury's full body routine (http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/totalbody_training) to be in the gym 4 days a week?

White rectangular box in the top right corner of the screen. You can write things into it, and threads will pop up related to exactly what you're looking to know. It's sort of like magic and seems like it is magic at first, but then you realize that it's just that your questions have, gasp, been thoroughly discussed in the past.

Best of luck!

I have done plenty of searching and reading, but still not sure of the exact right strategy. Maybe I am over analyzing and I should just pick something and go with it.

I like Chad Waterbury's program, but it only has you in the gym 3 days a week. It seems as though more gains could be made if you are in the gym more often. However, that may just be my ignorance.

I was talking to my Physical Therapist and we came up with this basic routine. I'm a little worried about overtraining though. What do you all think?

Monday- Push
Tuesday- Pull
Wednesday- Lower Body
Thursday- Push
Friday- Pull
Saturday- Lower Body

12 total sets with 8 reps per set per muscle group. Ending up with something like 3 chest exercises with 4 sets each.

Okay, dude, I'll do it for you:

Look at the "Best of T-Nation" thread under the Bodybuilding forum. Look to KingOfBeef's "Do this instead of that dumb routine"--it'll get you a body part split.

Then, read every thread linked in that post. Then, read every thread and article linked on the beginner's stickies.

Read some people's 5/3/1 logs and see how that system works. It's 4 days/week.

Don't create another thread until you've done all that. If none of it makes sense, then you're not reading attentively.

Again, good luck.

Thanks! I'll get reading.