T Nation

Newbie in Need of Help

My goals for the future are simple:

1. Become more musucular and defined
  2. Gain some weight
  3. Be mostly LEAN muscle

I’ve been lifting on a 3 day on, 1 day off schedule, doing Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Legs/Shoulders, off (with abs 3 days a week), and have been doing half hour to an hour of cardio each day. When lifting, I do 4 sets per major muscle group, decreasing the reps (12, 10, 8, 6) and increasing the weight per set. For assistance muscles, I do three exercises wtih three sets.

Problem is, I can’t seem to eat enough to gain weight! I’ve lost three pounds since I’ve started this (3 weeks), yet I am taking in around 3k a day. I’m 5"7, 157 lb.s, and 12% BF.

Any suggestions?

more food and less cardio

more “calorie” dense calories from liquids (milk) and whole food

train less; rest more

If you are new, why the split?
Want to gain weight? take in more or burn less. It is just the opposite of those that need to lose weight and can’t figure it out.

if you’re taking in 3k of cals, and losing weight, than take in 3.5k in cals. If you still lose weight, or you are only maintaining, then consume 4k in cals.

alrite, seems simple enough. Thanks!

[quote]dreads989 wrote:
My goals for the future are simple:

1. Become more musucular and defined
  2. Gain some weight
  3. Be mostly LEAN muscle

I’ve been lifting on a 3 day on, 1 day off schedule, doing Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Legs/Shoulders, off (with abs 3 days a week), and have been doing half hour to an hour of cardio each day. When lifting, I do 4 sets per major muscle group, decreasing the reps (12, 10, 8, 6) and increasing the weight per set. For assistance muscles, I do three exercises wtih three sets.

Problem is, I can’t seem to eat enough to gain weight! I’ve lost three pounds since I’ve started this (3 weeks), yet I am taking in around 3k a day. I’m 5"7, 157 lb.s, and 12% BF.

Any suggestions?[/quote]

An hour of cardio a day and you can’t figure out why you can’t gain mass???!!

You’re trying to do two things, that when combined, are very difficult to do. Gaining mass and lowering bodyfat is fairly lofty. Try periodizing your goals