Newbie in Need of Advice: 50mg a Week?

Hello, I am a 31 year old in good health ( 5’9 160). I was recently diagnosed with low T. My labs were as follows:

TT: 217 Low ng/dL Range:264 - 916
FT: 6.3 Low pg/mL Range:8.7 - 25.1

So my doctor ended up putting me on 50mg of cyp per week. I have spent much time researching this and from what I have read this is much too low of a dose. Even though I am ok with starting slow.

So, I was given a 10ml to last me 12 weeks. I calculated this and i can get .83 ml per dose, instead of .5 like my doc wants me to take. I was thinking about starting at .50 per week, but then changing to .40 2 TIMES per week. Which comes out to only 80 mg per total per week.

Any thoughts or comments would be MUCH appreciated!

I agree that’s too low of a dose, I’m on 75 mg a week and I’m just above the 550 ng/dL mid-week. I’ve never heard of such a low weekly dose, you might require twice that dosage per week. The fact your doctor put you on such a low dose likely means he is inexperienced in TRT. Where’s all your other hormones, SHBG?

Well the whole truth is he had me on androgel before, so he had ran all those other tests. But i lost my health insurance over a year about, and the gel runs at about $450 dollars without health insurance. So i just got off of it for about a year now. 2 weeks ago went to have my testosterone and free test checked on my own. Of course it came back low. So i went back to the same doc with the results. Told him my situations and asked to be put on the cyp because it was so much cheaper.

I dont want my test too high, just enough to feel good. So given my situation/prescription, what do you think? 40mg twice a week? For a total of 80mg a week. Sounds reasonable right?

80 mg split into to two injections sounds a lot more reasonable, you can also add more if you need to. Don’t worry about you T levels as long as you’re in range and you feel good.

10 ml of what?

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

My doctor put me on 50mg of testosterone cypionate week. I understand that its sounds like an under dosage. So, When i went to pick up my prescription it comes in a 10ml bottle (1000mg). There is suppose to last me 3 months. I did the math and that comes out to .83ml per dose a week. ( over 12 weeks). So i was going to give myself 2 injections per week. of 40mg ( .40ml), instead of what my doctors had prescribed for me.

What do you think?