Newbie, How Can I Increase My Appetite?

Eat more often. I know if your eating more, youll probably be eating more often but sometimes this may get understated.
Atleast for me, when i eat now, and go back to the kitchen in 2 hours, or even just 1, im ready to go for another decent sized meal.

Slowly but surely, it should increase your metabolism/appetite or at the least stretch your stomach(the organ, not meaning a ‘gut’ =-]). Good luck, now go grab a fork!

You skinny bastards make me sick! Do you have any friends that are fat? If you do, have them write down what they eat on a normal day. You write down what you would eat on a normal day, exchange lists and follow the plan. It should help both of you.

Never stand when you can sit, and never sit when you can lay.

[quote]Typo wrote:
Is there anything that increases your appetite. [/quote]

Yup. Get your squats to 200+ lbs and your deadlifts 250+ lbs for reps, and you’ll be inhaling 4,000+ kcals a day no problem

Big bulking tips by David Barr- http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-163-diet

Learn from fat people who jog.

You know the types that burn maybe 100 calories doing easy cardio and then get hungry and eat 500 calories afterwards?

I learned a while back that the whole “sit around all day and do nothing” schick actually hinders weight gain for some people. If your calorie expenditure is so low that stuffing yourself makes you feel sick, sitting around isn’t really helping.

Do some calisthenics, get the blood flowing, and your stomach will be much more responsive to eating. And then you stuff yourself!

Anyone who has truly gained an impressive amount of muscle and claims they never stuffed food down their throats even when they weren’t hungry is lying. You simply do what you have to do.

Although I’m a noob to this weight gain thing I’m not a noob as far as athletics/nutrition go and realize that the formula is usually pretty simple. Do what you have to do, and do it consistently. I’ve always competed in weight class sports and always been a skinny lean bastard. Now I’m pretty much done with competing at anything so I decided to try to get bigger. I’ve gone from 150 to 165 in the last two months on 3300-3800 cals a day. Maybe I’m still a skinny bastard but I am moving in the direction I want and doing it easily. I was actually hungry from time to time so I know if I need more cals in the future it is no big deal. Just choose calorie dense foods and eat frequently. Average day for me was something like:

Oatmeal w cold milk, 1 cup frozen fruit.

Shake: Whey prot, milk, yogurt, strawberries and splenda.

1/2 lb chicken breast marinated in olive oil and spices, (Mcormicks chipolte is the bomb!) 1 cup broccoli.

1/2 lb ground beef + organic spaghetti sauce, 1/2 cup onions.

1/4 cup cashews, 4 fish oil caps, banana.

1/2 lb chicken breast, same as above with the brocoli as well.

1/4 cup cashews, 4 fish oil caps, apple.

1/2 lb ground beef + spag sauce.

Just keep eating by the clock, not whether you are hungry or not. Don’t skip meals. Discipline is the key.

And workout heavy. I wasn’t totally weak for my size before but as I’ve been squatting more (started at 225 now at 265 and climbing, thanks dave tate!) my appetite has increased, especially post workout. I pig out on big bowls of whole wheat pasta and meatballs or homemade chili after a hard workout.

And like people have said, if you’re getting sick of the kind of eating you’re doing, throw down some junk now and then. I like pad thai or processed lamb/beef gyros, mmmmmm… You’re skinny, you can get away with it.

I was afraid of losing my abs initially. Well, they’re not impressive when you’re 150 anyway and power to weight ratio is a cop out unless we’re talking sportbikes. :wink:

Good luck gaining, keep eating!

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
Typo wrote: My question is, Is there anything that increases your appetite?

get bored

[/quote]

I used to have the ‘no appetite to eat’ problem myself. One near perfect solution is find a sauce/dressing/ingredient that’s too irresistably tasty to put on your meals. Lately for me I’m learning to cook East indian and South east asian dishes… the right mix of herbs and spices /sauce topping a mountain of food will not make eating a chore and help build your appetite.

[quote]Typo wrote:
I am new to this site and have been browsing it for a while. A lot of good stuff here. My question is, Is there anything that increases your appetite. I am up to 3,000 calories a day, but find it challenging to get in anymore. I’m trying to gain weight and have gone from 125lbs to 140lbs in the past six weeks. I try to eat healthy and don’t want to eat junk if I don’t have to.
thanx

TYPO

[/quote]

the more you eat the larger your appetitie gets, eat eat eat,

It has been said to death, but just f’ing eat. I don’t see the big problem with this. If you are hungry - eat, if you aren’t hungry - eat. It isn’t rocket science.

I am full throughout the day when I bulk. My co-workers don’t understand how I can eat the way I do. It is simple - I eat whether I am hungry or not. Food is fuel, not a reward, or anything else. If you want to grow big, you have to eat big. Just take food, ignore the chemical signals being sent to your brain saying you are full, and f’ing eat.

Try eating a candy bar before every meal.

I’ve never had problems with this. The trick is to eat fast. I eat my dinner under 5 mins everytime, and it’s about 1200 kcal. So get busy.

[quote]ill wrote:
I’ve never had problems with this. The trick is to eat fast. I eat my dinner under 5 mins everytime, and it’s about 1200 kcal. So get busy.[/quote]

This is actually true. Those who eat faster can get down more food before stretch receptors in the stomach are activated sending a signal of satiety. From what I’ve read, the estimated time for this to happen is about 8 min past eating the first portion of food at a sitting.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Anyone who has truly gained an impressive amount of muscle and claims they never stuffed food down their throats even when they weren’t hungry is lying. You simply do what you have to do.[/quote]

Precisely.

How many calories are you consuming right now? Bet you haven’t even counted them. Whatever this number is, add a half cup of peanuts. That adds 350 calories. Get used to that for two-three weeks, add another 200-300 calories - eat some pop tarts. Another two-three weeks, add 200-300 more.

It’s just like lifting. You don’t just start at 225, you work your way up to it. Increase by increments. And force some damn food down your cake hole. For me, eating has turned into something akin to cleaning the bathroom. I hate it, but I have to do it. I eat when I’m full. Every two hours. Regardless.

How do you define committment?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ill wrote:
I’ve never had problems with this. The trick is to eat fast. I eat my dinner under 5 mins everytime, and it’s about 1200 kcal. So get busy.

This is actually true. Those who eat faster can get down more food before stretch receptors in the stomach are activated sending a signal of satiety. From what I’ve read, the estimated time for this to happen is about 8 min past eating the first portion of food at a sitting.[/quote]

I’ll attest to this. Before I actually cared about what food I put into my body, my friend and I used to go out to KFC and we’d each order an 8 piece family meal and down it in less than 10 minutes before chillin out to a movie then going out and kickboxing all afternoon. Eat fast if you get full too quickly!

Also, take the numbers slow! Before I started lifting this last fall, I was down to 1500kcal / day eating as much as I could. Regular fasting with a downregulated metabolism will do that to a guy. In the last 8 months I’ve increased my calorie intake up to 4000kcal a day and am according to JB’s calculator, I need to get up to 5500 / day, so I’ll keep trekkin. I add 250 kcal every 2 weeks at this time which means I’ll be up to that 5500 in 3 months time. It’s really a short time and my body at least adapts to an additional 250kcal a week. If you can only add 100, do 100 and just remember that you’ll get there slowly but surely if you keep at it (just like bodybuilding).

Best of luck,
Ritchey

Smoke weed…
get munchies…
get 235824967389637589 calories worth of food