Newbie Has Gotta Go!

I have a thought that has been kicking around in my head for a week or so now. Over in Chris Shugart’s blog there was a thread on “The Newbie Paradox” and Arioch brought up a really interesting point.

[quote]OK maybe this is just a nit, but I don’t think using the term newb, noob or newbie helps either.

For me, it relates to something bad. I spent time in the Marines and being the newb or FNG was not a good thing. If you didn’t have rank you got the worst jobs until you proved yourself. I think some members get the same feeling here. [/quote]

I think I agree for a few reasons. First, the terms “newbie” or “noob” is just way too namby-pamby and cutesy for this site. Seriously, that’s not even a little bit hardcore, let alone dangerously so. Second, it does have a bad connotation to it whereas the people on this site who come here looking to truly learn are doing something good - making the effort to learn and do better (granted, not all who are new and come to this site fit that mold… no need to name names, we’ve seen a bunch of them).

Now, I know there is a certain mentality to T-Nation of needing to earn your stripes, which is fine. Can’t disagree with that… but still, “noob”? Come on. We have enough collective brainpower to do better than THAT.

So, anyone got any ideas to replace newbie/noob with something decidedly better?

Kuz

• Return with honor.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
I have a thought that has been kicking around in my head for a week or so now. Over in Chris Shugart’s blog there was a thread on “The Newbie Paradox” and Arioch brought up a really interesting point.
OK maybe this is just a nit, but I don’t think using the term newb, noob or newbie helps either.

For me, it relates to something bad. I spent time in the Marines and being the newb or FNG was not a good thing. If you didn’t have rank you got the worst jobs until you proved yourself. I think some members get the same feeling here.

I think I agree for a few reasons. First, the terms “newbie” or “noob” is just way too namby-pamby and cutesy for this site. Seriously, that’s not even a little bit hardcore, let alone dangerously so. Second, it does have a bad connotation to it whereas the people on this site who come here looking to truly learn are doing something good - making the effort to learn and do better (granted, not all who are new and come to this site fit that mold… no need to name names, we’ve seen a bunch of them).

Now, I know there is a certain mentality to T-Nation of needing to earn your stripes, which is fine. Can’t disagree with that… but still, “noob”? Come on. We have enough collective brainpower to do better than THAT.

So, anyone got any ideas to replace newbie/noob with something decidedly better?

Kuz

• Return with honor.[/quote]

Only problem with it is that it can’t be mean 'cause if you’re mean to the newbs the mods make you stop.

Well, that aside, whatcha got JW? Just trying to find something with a lower cheddar-factor than “newbie”.

If you are trying to change the world of Internet slang that has been around for 20 years… good luck.

You might as well invent new words for elements of your chosen profession. If you want to communicate with the world, you speak the same language as the world.

does the phrase “when the going gets tough, the tough gets going” mean nothing to you?

[quote]vroom wrote:
If you are trying to change the world of Internet slang that has been around for 20 years… good luck.

You might as well invent new words for elements of your chosen profession. If you want to communicate with the world, you speak the same language as the world.[/quote]

But that’s to assume we need to be just like the rest of the 'Net world, which I don’t think has to be true. It’s just a very non T kind of word, think we can do better, especially given the fact that this site and its forums is also whatever world we make of it. Screw the rest of the Internet. :wink:

[quote]wufwugy wrote:
does the phrase “when the going gets tough, the tough gets going” mean nothing to you?[/quote]

Not sure how that even applies. Care to elaborate?

Kuz, you’re not going to revolutionize the internet with your concearn for fellow noobs. You yourself are a noob and deserve to be called one untill you stop making pointless noobie threads, noob!

Just kidding, call them what you want, they shouldn’t care. I never care what people over the net say to me. It means nothing to me.

How about “hey guys, we got ourselves a Bob?”

I think you know what I mean.

Or , if the FAQ section still exists (which I think it does)

how about just replying

“FAQ” until you get a question that reflects some knowledge of T-Mag?

Well, my point was less about how the noobs feel about it and more that it’s just a really lame term, especially for T-Nation. Too cutesy, IMHO. Believe me… I ain’t looking for some kind of “Hug A Noob for Jesus” fest or something.

Sigh, okay then…

Dweeb? Wimp? Puss? Wuss? Dough Boy? Soy Boy?

Or were you thinking a bit more politically correct…

Neophyte? Disciple?

Slang is like a rope, it is damned hard to push.

Kuz, you’re absolutely right. Let’s call them T-Virgins.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Slang is like a rope, it is damned hard to push.[/quote]

Weren’t you just shouting from the rooftops about some new deadlifting accomplishments? I am now skeptical if you have a hard time pushing rope. :wink:

[quote]Massif wrote:
Kuz, you’re absolutely right. Let’s call them T-Virgins.[/quote]

LMAO. Awesome.

I like T-Virgins, I was gonna say FNG(Fucking New Guy).

[quote]jaimeo wrote:
How about “hey guys, we got ourselves a Bob?”

I think you know what I mean.

Or , if the FAQ section still exists (which I think it does)

how about just replying

“FAQ” until you get a question that reflects some knowledge of T-Mag?
[/quote]

We could call him a Faqqot. Notice the Q’s… notice the Q’s.

Not that there is anything wrong with G’s

T-Novice
Beginner
T-Cubs
T-Kids
Tyros
New-Ts
Guppies
Recruits
T-Frosh

What about T-Dough?

Green-T. Green for new, T for testosterone.

[quote]thrasher wrote:
Green-T. Green for new, T for testosterone.[/quote]

Another great one. Very clever.