Newbie Gains?

The hack squat machine is pretty worthless in my opinion. If you want to do hack squat do them with the bar. If I remember correctly there is an article here describing how to do them. As a rule of thumb, try and stay away from all machines and do everything you can standing on your own two feet. Exceptions to the machine rule would be a lat pulldown, reverse hyper, glute ham, and maybe a weight stack and pulley.

Don’t get me wrong; I didn’t mean to come across as overly harsh. If I did, I apologize. I was just trying to say that although he had significant gains (probably due to better balance and neuromuscular coordination), his current weights would not be impressive to the naked eye at any gym given his bodyweight. Believe me- I’m the last one to be giving a newbie shit, cuz I was a scrawny little shit about two years ago. Everyone has to start somewhere, but it is very important to remember that there is ALWAYS room for improvement, so it could be good motivation. That’s all I was trying to say, which is why I told him to keep up the good work.

Eric: You’re right - I don’t look that impressive right now. I mean, I still wear a size 46 pants. However, when I started working out I weighed 5 pounds more and wore a size 50. I’m aiming to get down to a muscular 275 or so, as I’m training to be a fighter and have to be above 260 for the weight class.

Drax: I’ve been seeing a trainer 3 times a week, and he’s actually damned good. He cares more about form than weight, and if I give him a sloppy rep, he doesn’t count it. He’s one of the rare good trainers: Former College football player, got a degree in sports medicine.

Thanks for all of the positive words, guys. It’s one thing when a guy you’re paying says you’re doing well, but its another when guys on the Internet do.