T Nation

Newbie Gains: Scale Isn't Moving

I’ve been working out 3 - 5 times a week for about 10 months or so now. I’ve seen a steady increase in my lifts, and I’m now lifting more than twice as much on every lift.
However the scale seems to be locked at the same bodyweight it was when I started training.

My measurements have gone up around my chest, arms, forearms and around my legs. My question is, could I be losing fat and gaining muscle at pretty much the same rate during the newbie gains or is there something really wrong with my program/diet.

I did post my diet and program in a different thread and was told I eat less than an average woman. But could eating too little be stopping me from losing fat?

Thanks in advance.

Your measurements are going up, therefore, the most likely reason that you are still the same weight is that you are gaining muscle and losing fat.

No, eating too little is not stopping you from losing fat. It might be lowering your metabolic rate though and will, with utmost certainty, stop you from gaining muscle in the “near” future.

If you are not gaining weight then you are not eating enough. That is it. It is that simple. Unless of course you have some tapeworm eating all your food before your body absorbs it.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
If you are not gaining weight then you are not eating enough. That is it. It is that simple. Unless of course you have some tapeworm eating all your food before your body absorbs it. [/quote]

In this case its the issue of having quite a bit of fat mass to begin with and not seeing the scale move either way for about 4 months.
Let me put it like this;

Starting Weight - Fat lost from exercise + Muscle gained from exercise = 0

Could this be correct that my fat loss and muscle gain are happening at about the same pace so that the scale weight stays the same but my body composition changes?

If you eat maintenance all the time. You won’t gain or loss weight. You can change body composition though.

eat and squat more.

The only thing beginners need to do is squat deadlift standing press Bench press pullups dips.