Newbie Gains and Diminishing Returns

About 6 months ago I really started to get serious with lifting and was able to put on 5 pounds a month for the past 6 months. However, I am reaching a point where my gains are stalling despite eating more.

August 2008:
BW: 163 lbs

Now:
BW: 190-195 lbs (I’m supposed be 198 by the end of this month in order to maintain my 5 pound per month quota)

I have recently increased my food intake to 4500-5000 calories, roughly 250 grams of protein per day. I realize that “newbie gains” eventually end, but I do not believe I am advanced by any means (weak lifts).

My question is this: how long do “newbie gains” last, and am I at the point where gaining 5 pounds per month is no longer feasible?

Other stats:

24 year old male
5’10 - 5’11
Not afraid to lose abs during bulk (mine are barely visible now)

Have you been monitoring your body fat percentage? The newbie articles I’ve read (and advice I’ve been given) have said to aim for about 1.5-2lbs a month. Newbie gains being about 15-20lbs of lean mass in a year.

At that rate you’d be hitting 60lbs of weight gained per year, and are likely to be gaining a lot of fat. My point being, not gaining 5lbs a month anymore is probably a good thing, but unless you’ve been monitoring BF% it’s impossible to say for sure.

If you’re stalling perhaps you need to change your routine around a little bit.

[quote]kardon wrote:
My question is this: how long do “newbie gains” last, and am I at the point where gaining 5 pounds per month is no longer feasible?
[/quote]

Everyone is different. There’s no way anyone can answer this question accurately. Measure your bf and dimensions regularly. Adjust calories accordingly. Your body will answer this question if you listen.

I saw huge mass gains my first month and i also noticed i became less lean all over, not just my stomach area. I was eating a lot of junk food to get my calories in for the day. Try eating clean now that your inital gains might be over. This helped me get lean and still build.