T Nation

Newbie Defined?

How long does a person have to workout (months,years) before he or she is no longer considered a newbie? Just curious as some programs are geared to newbies while others are prescribed to the more advanced lifter.

[quote]provy07 wrote:
How long does a person have to workout (months,years) before he or she is no longer considered a newbie? Just curious as some programs are geared to newbies while others are prescribed to the more advanced lifter.[/quote]

Depends on your learning curve.

A guy like Spitz was working out for 2 years and he hadn’t even hit newbie status!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Might not the definition be different if you’re talking about knowledge level versus training age? I don’t really know (as I’m still a newbie on both levels), but from what I’ve picked up on, there seems to be a progression in terms of rep ranges, etc., to which the body responds that requires a longer time than knowledge aquisition might?

i.e., as training age increases, lower rep ranges are needed/more effective…?

Very dependent. Some PPL never escape Newbie-dome.

I have been training for over 10 years, well 4-5 seriously and I in no way consider myself ADVANCED. There is always more to learn through learning and the doing, through the application of what you read and learn.

But you are well on your way. I think only you will be able to say when you are no longer a newbie.

When you Truely start to get an understanding, not of training and nutrition in general, or the concepts. But when you have devoted the time under the Iron and fork to KNOW, understand, and recognize how things personally effect you.

Hope that helps,

Phill

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Write these down and keep them visible:

“The more I learn, the dummmer I feel”

“Once you think you know it all, you’re toast”

“To not know is bad. To not want to know is worse.”

It’s only what you learn after you know it all that really counts"

I’m sure there are dozens more.

TNT