T Nation

Newbie Building a Good Workout/Nutrition Plan

I've just started getting into body-building and I came here for help. I've been going to the gym regularly but I'm not really sure what to do. I see little improvement every time I max out, most likely because I do core workouts and then aimlessly try other things without any real regimen. I am approximately 230 lbs. (I'm a chubby guy) and I've been told by friends who go to this site that I have potential to be really strong. I would really like someone to help me build a good workout/ nutrition plan that will allow me to look good and reach full strength potential. I'll be going on to college and I hope that I can be as strong (if not stronger) than the average college athlete by the end of freshman year.

Use the SEARCH function on the top right hand of the site. Started off right by posting in the beginners section...but search for anything you wish you want to do. Splits, 5/3/1, 5x5, Push/Pull, etc... there are tons of articles here for you to read.

If you are just starting out...try searching Starting Strength. or ask your friends who would know a good work out for you, and same goes for nutrition. There are stickies at the top of the beginners threads. read them!

Thanks, I actually looked a little bit yesterday and found a good article on building a workout. Now all I need is the perfect nutrition plan and I'm good.

If you're new to the game, a perfect diet isn't exactly necessary. It all depends on your goals. If you're trying to lean out, diet has to be a little more dialed in. However if you're looking to gain muscle and not care about gaining a little fat, then hell eat everything in sight (within reason of course)! Again, look at some articles about nutrition. Theres tons out there. read read read

This is a common newbie mistake.

There is no "perfect" nutrition plan, so stop looking for one right now. They key is to improve your current diet in steps that you can handle and will stick with.

A good start is to document everything you currently eat, determine the macronutrient total at fitday.com, and post all of the info here.

This will take some effort on your behalf, but you need to figure out where you are now with your diet in order to determine how to get where you want to be.

hey tuff

many starters like to begin with nutrition guidelines and then ease themselves into a nutrition plan ?

these are though as complicated as everything else because it varies if you are bulking(gaining weight) or cutting(losing weight)