T Nation

Newbie - Better Late Than Never

I am new and old! I am new to T-Nation and somewhat very new to Fitness/Strength training world. I am considered old on my numerical age of 60 but I feel somehow going back to 28. LOL! With my recent blood tests, my doctor still gave me a clean bill of health [??] though previously diagnosed with controlled hypertension and lately was told I have electrolytes imbalance.

In the past, I have played couple or more of tennis [single matches] on a daily basis. Back in early 2005 was when I first got into what I called fitness workout regimens using the Power90 program from Beachbody.com. I have seen good results for about a year. However, since late 2006, I have been sedentary [glued to computer screen] and have gained all the weights and body fats I have lost and added few more.

I have had it and resolved to take control of my health and fitness last January 1, 2009. This is NOT A RESOLUTION but A COMMITMENT and a PASSION. Since then and as of 3/8/09, I have lost 27 pounds [from 187] and my body fat % has gone down by 3% [from 30% - using calipers test].

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER! I want to continue on my quest with the help of T-Nation community and Biotest supplements. My goals are: 1) achieve my ideal weight around 145-150 [at my height 5’5"]; 2) bring my body fat % down between 10-15%; 3) yeah, I am a weakling and I want to get physically stronger; 4} overall, I would like to be lean, fit and healthy machine but not real bulky. I have a realistic timetable to work on these goals… these are not NOW but in due time set of goals. Hence, I started this thread to solicit some direct input from the members. Hopefully, I am in the right forum and not too late to reach my goals.

I have already read several articles and postings in this wonderful T-Nation site and I will continue to read on as much as I can. These are just so much for me to learn and appreciate you all for your contributions.

I will be posting my current stats and more on my next posting.

Here are my current stats and more:

Height: 5’5"
Weight: 160 lbs.
Body Fat %: 27

Equipments I have and use are:

Kettlebells [yeah, I read most of what have been said about it here]
Dumbells [starter set and plates]
Barbell [starter set and plates]
Pull up/Chin Up Bar

Supplements I use:

Lean & Fit
EstroBlock
Slim Blend
Stem Cell Stronger
Whey Protein
Fish Oil Omega-3
Glocusamine

I will be ordering from T-Muscle Store the following:

HOT-ROX Extreme [replacing Lean & Fit]
Rez-V [replacing EstroBlock and Stem Cell Strong]
Flameout [replacing Fish Oil Omega-3]

My eating plan is based on Fast-5.com [with my modification]. I fast for 19 hours and eat during my 5 hour window [2-7pm]. I eat whole natural foods with high protein %, medium fat %, and low carb %.

Interesting diet I couldn’t do that

i can’t imagine feeling good on that diet window. seems contrary to the idea of not letting your body go into starvation mode with frequent feedings; especially a good protein rich breakfast.

please tell us how you will be working out? and what your goals are?

and yes, it’s never to late to honor the body.

Not a fan of that diet either, esp with the HOT-ROX.

Does your doc have any thoughts about your diet and electrolyte imbalance?

[quote]jzzz wrote:
Interesting diet I couldn’t do that[/quote]

[quote]thruxton45 wrote:
i can’t imagine feeling good on that diet window. seems contrary to the idea of not letting your body go into starvation mode with frequent feedings; especially a good protein rich breakfast.

please tell us how you will be working out? and what your goals are?

and yes, it’s never to late to honor the body.[/quote]

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Not a fan of that diet either, esp with the HOT-ROX.

Does your doc have any thoughts about your diet and electrolyte imbalance?[/quote]

jzzz, thruxton45, & HoratioSandoval,

Thanks for your comments and concerns. When I started this Fast-5 eating plan, I didn’t think either that I can last 3 days [I am used to eating 4-5 meals/day] much more, more than 60 days. But I did and still on it. I realized that this may not be an acceptable eating plan in this bodybuilding community. My short term goals are weight and fat loss without affecting my health.

So far my experience with this eating plan have all been positive:

• I have more energy, no more afternoon naps; I feel great everyday.
  • Since the start of my 3rd week, my blood pressure has been normal [120/80], sometimes even lower. I no longer have issues with my digestive system, i.e. constipation, heart burns, gerd, acid reflux. I am more mentally alert.
  • I no longer get cramps and have reduced my intake of electrolytes drink supplements substantially.
  • Finally, I have lost 27 lbs. and 3% body fat.

After surviving the 3rd day, I gave myself 90 days to stay on track with this eating plan. I rarely deviate from it. I have done a lot of reading on fasting: Intermittent, Eat Stop Eat, among others and found the Fast-5 more appropriate for me. I have emailed my doctor regarding this diet and has not given me yea nor nay response. However, he has just replied and ordered my request for blood tests for hormone balance panel, etc.

Let me say that I am very open to ideas & suggestions, hence, this thread. Few days ago, I read just about everything on Velocity Diet and other diets described here. I am anxiously awaiting the launch of the TMuscle’s First Superprogram announced by TC Luoma. This is the time for me to seriously look into an alternate or replacement diet plan as I am nearing the 90 days on Fast-5. I am committed to my goals. Today, using search function, I have found several discussion here at T-Nation about fasting and I will be reading on them between now and the weekend.

thruxton45, thumbs up for the moral support on “never too late to honor the body”. Regarding workout, I am on beginner’s level primarily using Kettlebells. My [weakling] workout plan is as follows:

Daily [Pump up the Blood Flow]
Warm Up Stretch
4-5 minute Salsa dance workout [yeah, I love latin music]
3x5 squat [no weights]

Mondays - Wednesdays - Fridays
Kettlebell Routines [current] with 16kgs/35lbs KB with 30 seconds rest between set and full minute to the next routine.

5x10 - Deadlift
5x10 - 2 Arm Swing
1x10 - Halo
5x10 - 1 Arm Swing each side
2x5 - 2 Hand Press

with 12kgs/26lbs [started last week]
1x5 - 1 Arm Clean/Press each side
1x5 - Snatch

Tuesdays - Thursday - Saturdays
Uphill Sprint
2x5 Military Press (nope, I can’t do it yet with 1.5 times my bodyweight not even equal] 40lbs barbell

Sundays = Rest

There will be times when I do the KB routines 1 set for as many reps as I can, take 20 seconds rest, then to the next routine. I am sure I will be modifying, removing some of these routines and adding new ones as I progress. The next 90 days will be more focused on Strength building.

Horatio, I have just ordered the HOT-ROX Extreme. I am still good for the next 7 days on Lean & Fit and another bottle on reserve. I will take the necessary precaution when I start taking HOT-ROX Extreme. I will reread the discussion thread on it.

Again, I appreciate all the input.

I have trouble believing your 60 for some reason. But good luck.

First off, if the diet is working for you, that’s really all that matters, but you might want to read up on some more convention methods so that you have something ready if you need to switch things up. Secondly, if you hit 1.5x bodyweight on a strict mill press, you’ll be damn strong. Lastly, the first super program is already up, it’s the new vdiet guide. Oh yeah, read the destroying fat article by CT, it will give you an idea of how to add somestrength work to your fat lose lifting program.

[quote]T-Cruiser wrote:
Here are my current stats and more:

Height: 5’5"
Weight: 160 lbs.
Body Fat %: 27

Equipments I have and use are:

Kettlebells [yeah, I read most of what have been said about it here]
Dumbells [starter set and plates]
Barbell [starter set and plates]
Pull up/Chin Up Bar

Supplements I use:

Lean & Fit
EstroBlock
Slim Blend
Stem Cell Stronger
Whey Protein
Fish Oil Omega-3
Glocusamine

I will be ordering from T-Muscle Store the following:

HOT-ROX Extreme [replacing Lean & Fit]
Rez-V [replacing EstroBlock and Stem Cell Strong]
Flameout [replacing Fish Oil Omega-3]

My eating plan is based on Fast-5.com [with my modification]. I fast for 19 hours and eat during my 5 hour window [2-7pm]. I eat whole natural foods with high protein %, medium fat %, and low carb %.

[/quote]

Interesting! I also believe it is never too late to get into healthier shape, so I applaud you for making the decision again. Let’s stick to it this time.

First, there’s nothing wrong with kettlebells. They’re a great tool, albeit over-hyped. Most of the flack comes from people with specific goals (eg–get hulking big, or get freakishly strong, or whatever). There’s nothing wrong with them for a general fitness goal. You have all the tools you need in regards to weights.

I do not like your diet plan however, and would strongly encourage you to change your eating habits to a more conventional method based on what your goals are at this time. You can still eat high protein, med fat, low carb, and high fiber.

The reasons for switching are numerous, but I will say only a few things–

1. in order to preserve muscle mass, which is harder to earn back in advanced age, one should avoid starving oneself for most of the day.

2. the goal of any good fat loss program is to keep your metabolism high, not to slow it down. Infrequent eating (eating only 5 hours out of the day) is the most efficient way to slow down your metabolism that I know of. A faster metabolism burns more fat than a slow one.

3. along with #2, it is possible that your electrolyte imbalance could be due to not eating for 19 hours of the day. That’s 19 hours of the day you don’t get vitamins and minerals necessary for healthy bones, connective tissue, hormonal production, etc., including electrolytes. Water has no electrolytes, but sodium and potassium can be found in food.

I would also be cautious with HOT-ROX extreme. I love it and think it’s a great supplement, but I have no idea how you will handle the stimulants in it. So please be advised that some people will tolerate it better than others.

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
First off, if the diet is working for you, that’s really all that matters, but you might want to read up on some more convention methods so that you have something ready if you need to switch things up. Secondly, if you hit 1.5x bodyweight on a strict mill press, you’ll be damn strong. Lastly, the first super program is already up, it’s the new vdiet guide. Oh yeah, read the destroying fat article by CT, it will give you an idea of how to add somestrength work to your fat lose lifting program.[/quote]

Yes, the diet is working for me now. However, I also realize that it may not necessarily take me to the next level of my goals. I am definitely looking at some conventional plans. Got it! So, the TMuscle SuperProgram is actually the Velocity V.3 Diet. It’s mostly supplements; I guess it is worth the $500+ for 28 days. I will reread and evaluate it.

I have searched for the article on destroying fat but cannot locate it yet. I would appreciate it if you would post the link.

Thanks for your support and guidance.

So you’ve lost 27 lbs and 3% body fat?

That means you’ve lost about 5.6 lbs of fat and 21.4lbs of lean body mass

It sounds like your diet is hurting you more than helping you. Your metabolism will stop, and so will your losses if you keep up this diet.

But you say your feeling better huh? I’ll bet it’s due to your good workouts.

Good Luck, and be sure to adapt if yours losses stall.

z

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Interesting! I also believe it is never too late to get into healthier shape, so I applaud you for making the decision again. Let’s stick to it this time.

You have all the tools you need in regards to weights.

I do not like your diet plan however, and would strongly encourage you to change your eating habits to a more conventional method based on what your goals are at this time. You can still eat high protein, med fat, low carb, and high fiber.

The reasons for switching are numerous, but I will say only a few things–

1. in order to preserve muscle mass, which is harder to earn back in advanced age, one should avoid starving oneself for most of the day.

2. the goal of any good fat loss program is to keep your metabolism high, not to slow it down. Infrequent eating (eating only 5 hours out of the day) is the most efficient way to slow down your metabolism that I know of. A faster metabolism burns more fat than a slow one.

3. along with #2, it is possible that your electrolyte imbalance could be due to not eating for 19 hours of the day. That’s 19 hours of the day you don’t get vitamins and minerals necessary for healthy bones, connective tissue, hormonal production, etc., including electrolytes. Water has no electrolytes, but sodium and potassium can be found in food.

I would also be cautious with HOT-ROX extreme. I love it and think it’s a great supplement, but I have no idea how you will handle the stimulants in it. So please be advised that some people will tolerate it better than others. [/quote]

Aragorn, thanks for the support and guidance. Yeah, I am sticking to it for good and long term. I have my commitment and turning it into one of my passions.

I am looking at some conventional diet plans already to start with for my next phase, i.e. Velocity V.3, Precision Nutrition, etc. Let me know if you have thoughts on these and feel free to suggest others.

I was actually told that I have electrolytes imbalance back in June, 2008. I started the Fast-5 diet last January, 2009. Like I said in my previous response post, since I have been on Fast-5, I have substantially reduce my electrolytes drink supplement and haven’t had cramps, especially during workout.

Your thoughts and ideas are well taken and will definitely be considered.

[quote]zImage wrote:
So you’ve lost 27 lbs and 3% body fat?

That means you’ve lost about 5.6 lbs of fat and 21.4lbs of lean body mass

It sounds like your diet is hurting you more than helping you. Your metabolism will stop, and so will your losses if you keep up this diet.

But you say your feeling better huh? I’ll bet it’s due to your good workouts.

Good Luck, and be sure to adapt if yours losses stall.

z[/quote]

Hey z, stay with me on this. I truly appreciate your comments. I was just as concerned with the lean body mass loss. I am already looking into other diet plans. I would say that my feeling better is a combination of my diet and the workout. The early 7-14 lbs of weight loss, be it water, fat, and yes, possible some lean body mass, was a hell of a motivation to get me going with my workout. It finally gave me the nerve to go public coz I truly want to do this even at my age of 60. I want to enjoy the next 60.

With the kind of support I am getting here, I WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN! So you guys, hang in there. All comments are much appreciated.

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
I have trouble believing your 60 for some reason. But good luck.[/quote]

Honestly, my chronological age is 60, born 1948 and will be 61 in September. Achieving these goals will be my birthday gift to me. Nonetheless, I am flattered with your disbelief. What made you say that, if I may ask?

Word up bro, just be that chameleon and keep adapting until you reach your goals. In one of the transformation articles, someone said ‘[fat loss] is all out war.’ I think its true and you should always have a complete strategy and back up plans, or else, end up a casualty.

Later on man, z

[quote]T-Cruiser wrote:
Yes, the diet is working for me now. However, I also realize that it may not necessarily take me to the next level of my goals. I am definitely looking at some conventional plans. Got it! So, the TMuscle SuperProgram is actually the Velocity V.3 Diet. It’s mostly supplements; I guess it is worth the $500+ for 28 days. I will reread and evaluate it.
[/quote]
I’ve done the V-diet, it works, but it’s not the only way or the best way to lose fat, especially for a beginner. If you look at the whole program, there’s a specialized workout plan in there and everything, it’s not just the diet.

Here you go.

Thanks, ninjaboy. I will look into that. I have read the entire V-Diet v.3 program and will continue reading on it and others in the forum.

Take care… TY again.