Newbie at Gym: What to Avoid?

So I just got a gym membership and I read a lot of thing on this forum that people get pissed off about at the gym.

For example, doing curls on the squat rack.

Are there any other things I need to know about before I go into the gym so I can avoid looking like a complete idiot?

Using common sense, and common courtesy will eliminate 99% of the problems you would otherwise face.

Yes, yes, the unwritten rules of gym ettiquette are important…

It mostly depends on what time of gym you go to. Do you got to a “health club” or do you go to a gym mostly for atheltes (boxers, MMA, etc) or do you go to a powerlifting/BB gym? Answer this question and you will know which rules to follow due to each club has a different crowd.

Healthclub - not to many. Hit on women AFTER training haha. But seriously, this type of place, you will prob get more annoyed with ppl than ppl with you.

BB gym - this is where there are some unwritten rules. Don’t walk around and act huge - cause your not. Don’t as people tons of question, in fact, don’t talk to people till after they are done with there workout (These people take training seriously and dont like to dick around). Don’t ask about gear.

Just common sense overall.

Be polite, don’t hog machines, rerack weights, don’t offer help unless asked, take a shower, don’t sing with your mp3 player. Just don’t be stupid…

Dont use bosu balls.
Dont scream loudly when doing heavy lifts until you hear someone else do it first.
Unload weights from bars you use and re-rack them.
If you can walk behind or in front of someone doing a lift to get around them, walk behind them.
Bring a towel in case you leave sweat on the equipment.

Dont check yourself out in front of the mirrors for more than a second… if your actually doing something like checking symmetry or w\e its kind of ok…kind of Gay. People who stand in front of the mirror and lift up their shirt and checking out the six pack in front of every girl in the gym…

Don’t do your exercises while standing right in front of the dumbell rack so everyone has to wait until your set is done before they can pick up their db’s or, ask you to move in the middle of your set.

Mind your business for a while.

Everytime I go to a new gym (like the beginning of june), I get in there, do my thing…and don’t talk to or bother anyone for a little while until I am able to establish myself as a lifter and not a “its summer so i’m gonna get jacked” guy.

Ask people to spot you if they look like they have time and are not 100% wrapped up in their training; don’t tap the large guy on teh shouler in between his supersets.

If you are planning to squat, and someone is doing something nearby, wait for them to finish; and then say your gonna do squats and if they could move over a little bit so you don’t hit them. this happened to me last week and i almost killed someone.

Kickbacks; just don’t do them.

If you go to a powerlift/bodybuilding gym…and someone is walking about getting pumped for a PR or a really heavy lift; stay out of their way at all costs.

Try and find someone around your size with a bit more knowledge and befriend them.

Train hard at the gym and you’ll be just fine.

Last point; proper form. I can’t stress that enough.

avoid trainers

[quote]eremesu wrote:
avoid trainers[/quote]

eh, i’d say avoid BAD trainers, which are easy enough to pick out. I have a trainer but she competes as a bodybuilder and looks the part, and has gotten me very good results with her programs. I’m pretty lucky to have found her though.

Obviously avoid the idiot trainers who don’t look like they lift or use only “functional” training i.e. tons of bosu ball shit.

Other etiquette is mainly common sense…generally it’s good to be open to advice from others but always take it with a grain of salt.

Allow people to work in with you if necessary, or take short rest periods if there is a demand for equipment.

Never, ever, ever try to talk to anyone in the middle of one of their sets.

Squat rack curling is a good example of monopolizing a piece of equipment unnecessarily. Don’t do that - i.e. don’t do pull ups on the cable machine when there is a pull up bar elsewhere and people need to use the cable machine.

[quote]nowakc wrote:
eremesu wrote:
avoid trainers

eh, i’d say avoid BAD trainers, which are easy enough to pick out. I have a trainer but she competes as a bodybuilder and looks the part, and has gotten me very good results with her programs. I’m pretty lucky to have found her though.

Obviously avoid the idiot trainers who don’t look like they lift or use only “functional” training i.e. tons of bosu ball shit.

Other etiquette is mainly common sense…generally it’s good to be open to advice from others but always take it with a grain of salt.

Allow people to work in with you if necessary, or take short rest periods if there is a demand for equipment.

Never, ever, ever try to talk to anyone in the middle of one of their sets.

Squat rack curling is a good example of monopolizing a piece of equipment unnecessarily. Don’t do that - i.e. don’t do pull ups on the cable machine when there is a pull up bar elsewhere and people need to use the cable machine.[/quote]

We have a skinnyfat woman as a trainer in my weightroom. Basically she’s just like…THis machine is for triceps, this machine is for pectorals, and this one for shoulders. DO 3x20 on each and then you run for half an hour on the treadmill and leave. And she goes and sits at the desk.

Ask for a spot/lift-off if needed ; but under no circumstance do you bail on a missed rep…ever

Don’t “reserve” equipment. Use one piece of equipment or one bar and if you’re supersetting, for example, bench press and t-bar rows, make sure noone needs the t-bar before starting to monopolize both. I hate people who do that.

Just the other day I was alone in the gym with some clown, I’m about to hit the incline db press, he’s on flat bench and comes over to tell me “hold on bro, I was just about to use this bench after my last set”.

That’s fine, change of plans I head over to the cables and start changing the handles for some cable pressing, and the guy takes off his mp3 earpiece again to tell me “actually I’m supersetting it with cable flies”. Told him to fuck off and work on an home gym.

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:
comes over to tell me “hold on bro, I was just about to use this bench after my last set”.
[/quote]

You were way too nice in the first place. The proper response would have been “Now you’ll be using it after MY last set”.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Kataklysm wrote:
comes over to tell me “hold on bro, I was just about to use this bench after my last set”.

You were way too nice in the first place. The proper response would have been “Now you’ll be using it after MY last set”.[/quote]

OH SHIT!

I’ve been doing the gym thing for a good 3 months.
I am a total newb. However i have been training for my life and i have the right mindset.
I hope my advice helps you:

-Write down everything you do. This helps keep you on track (a more mental aspect to training…become a ritual) and allows you to progress…this leads to

-Have a plan. Don’t walk in there not knowing what you’re going to do. You’re there to train…this leads to

-Shut your mouth. You’re there to train not gossip. If you want to gossip go to a bar or otherwise. remember you are paying hard earned cash to be stronger mentally and physically. Don’t bang weight if you can help it.

• Be polite and responsable. Don’t scream or shout unless you are in big trouble (leg failure on squat). Put the weights away and learn respect. Do’t belittle someone just because they squat less than you and don’t hate on someone for squatting more than you. It’s a process and everyone has their days. Laugh and smile if engaged in conversation. No need to be a tough guy. This can lead to…

-Safety. Respect everyone’s space. Even if someone is on a machine. I willingly do a 20 foot detour (sp) so i dont get in someones space. This goes for yourself aswell…this can lead to…

-Check your ego in at the door. You are in a gym to lift weights. Some of these exercises are potentially dangerous and some of those weights are heavy. Form is essentiel. Don’t add more weight than you need just to impress that girl. Learn to learn. Maybe someone does know more than you. Take everything with a grain of salt (even this post). Research is your friend. This is your body we are talking about. Be smart. However…

-Don’t be pussy. Don’t let people fit in their sets with you unless it goes together perfectly. You can be kind and respectful but don’t be a push over. Tell the guy when you’'ll be done and leave it at that. If someone doesnt like what you are doing, kindly tell them to go away and continue what you are doing. Avoid arguing with trainers most of them (NOT ALL) dont know what they are doing.

-Locker room. You’re there to shower, sauna, etc…While some people freak out because of people walking around naked, try to be more mature. That guy’s dick won’t crawl up your ass on it’s own. Stop this “no homo” shit. If you dont like it, dont look. It’s just another male human body, like yours. Get over it.

-Enjoy it. Training should be fun and exciting. It is a form of self improvement. Training should be a hobby, not a chore. Regardless of your sport or motivation, learn to enjoy what you do, or else you’re just hurting yourself.

Best of luck.

Do not ask\or let someone work in on the power rack if your doing squats… so they can do leg Raises… I saw a guy doing squats and dead lifts one day… and a little later on he asks to work in… everyone is welcome to work in if they are squating… ive seen nothing but 1/4 reps and curlers… so this guy gets in the rack and starts Doing leg raises… I was like WTF! lol. He was nice…so I didnt blast him. lol

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
JayPierce wrote:
Kataklysm wrote:

You were way too nice in the first place. The proper response would have been “Now you’ll be using it after MY last set”.

OH SHIT![/quote]

Hey, I’m not trying to be an internet badass or anything, but “I was just about to walk over here and use that” carries as much weight as “hey, I was just about to drive over here and park in that spot”.

I think it’s pretty damn rude to tell someone to move because you plan on using a piece of equipment some time in the near future.

Like everyone here has said, common courtesy is important.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions, just be careful choosing who to ask.

Use common sense.

DON’T stare. Im not very self-concious about my training but I do notice when people are watching me and it’s not a nice feeling.

DON’T stand next to a machine you’re waiting for staring at whoever is using it. A girl did this to me once. I was struggling to get through a final set and she stood about two feet away with her programme in hand with an annoyed look in her face.(I do believe in being quick with equipment and I only took bout 30-40 seconds rest after each set to begin with.)

NEVER try to engage people in conversation while they are ecercising. I had my first taste of this yesterday. I train at a rugby gym and I was finishing off my workout with some dips and during my second set this guy starts asking me what position I play and what I want to do next season. VERY annoying stuff, just don’t do it…

(I ain’t a gym saint either, but these are my pet-peeves of the gym, except the people who can’t tear themselves away from the mirror and the people who look down on anyone they are bigger than or strongerthan…)

Almost forgot this one: I believe that someone is not necessarily more knowledgable about lifting just because he’s big, but you should still avoid arguying with big guys about stuff. It just makes you look silly. No matter how bad you want to prove him wrong because of some T-Nation article you read, it’s the kind of thing that will give you a bad rep at the gym.

People are bitches they’ll go around saying “this kid argues with X and he can’t even bench 135”

Just go in and piss in the corner to mark your territory. That lets everyone know you mean business.