T Nation

Newbie and My Workout

hi i am a newbie to weight lifting, decide to start lifting due to been inbetween, skinny and well built. i am naturally 176lb 6"2, arms 14, legs 21, cavles 15, chest 41, waist 34, bf low about 10-15%.

workout i am doing to start off with is one to get me fit enough to do a heavy workout.

workout 1

press ups 20x3 (+5 every wk)
bi-cep curls 15x3
body weight squats 20x3 (+5 every week)
tri-cep press 15x3
sit ups 20x3 (+5 every wk)

workout 2

pull ups 5x3 (+1 every wk)
shoulder press 15x3
bent over rows 15x3
lat raises 15x3
jack knives sit ups 15x3

monday
wk 1
run 20mins (+5mins every week)

tuesday
wk2
cycle 30mins (+5mins every week)

wednesday
sprint session 100m x 10

thursday
wk1
cycle 30mins (+5mins every week)

friday
wk2

saturday
run 25mins (+5mins every week)

sunday
nothing

(and a flexibility program)

do you think its again good

Mmm…not so sure about this one. I don’t think starting with 15 and 20 sets of exercises is such a good idea for someone who’s never worked out. I’d recommend doing 3 full-body workouts per week. Lift in the 8-12 rep range to near failure. Start with 2 circuits. Add a 3rd circuit after a few weeks. Stick with this approach for 6-8 weeks. Then jump into TBT, ABBH, or any of the programs on Vroom’s beginner thread.

thanks will do!

What are your goals? Why don’t you consider yourself fit enough for serious strength training?

I’d suggest sticking more to the basics…do some deadlifts, push press, chinup, dip, bent rows and it will be a hell of a program.

Another thing is define your goals…I don’t believe in working out for general fitness/health. Define yourself an objective “measurable” goal and stick to program to attain this goal.

Definitely, agree with JS on this one.

15x3 is a lil nuts to start off with. See COOL TIP to your left.

[quote]Pete The Newbie wrote:
press ups 20x3 (+5 every wk)
bi-cep curls 15x3
body weight squats 20x3 (+5 every week)
tri-cep press 15x3
sit ups 20x3 (+5 every wk)

workout 2

pull ups 5x3 (+1 every wk)
shoulder press 15x3
bent over rows 15x3
lat raises 15x3
jack knives sit ups 15x3
[/quote]

Do you actually mean 20 sets of 3 reps or did you write it backwards and really mean 3 sets of 20 reps?

All of your set and rep schemes would make sense if you had typed it backwards with number of reps first, then sets.

I agree that you need to focus on the basic compound lifts and the reps seem way high. But more importantly, why so much cardio? What are your goals?

my short term goals are to increase the number of reps on body weight exercise, the reason for the cardio is that i’m going to play football for my uni team.

but long term goals 210lb lean muscle. (98 kg)