T Nation

Newbie After Advice / Critique On Deadlifts

Hi all. Name's Jack, just started training about two months ago, currently I'm about 141kg body weight, ~30% body fat, and for the last month or so have been doing a basic 5x5 program with some light accessory work (5 - 6 accessory exercises), full body, 3 times a week.

My lifts have been going up each week, and I'm now at 155kg deadlift x5, 105kg squat x5 and 65kg bench x5, bench is lagging a bit as I've got bursitis in my right shoulder, and only really in the last couple of weeks with treatment it's improved enough that I can get full range of motion without pain.

Diet wise I've lost about 6kg so far, simply from cutting the junk out of my diet and eating more whole foods / protein etc. My body composition has changed too, gaining a good chunk of muscle while loosing a couple of inches off my waist.

I'm looking to start seriously cutting soon & intend to calorie count / measure, and add in more cardio as my body fat is too high, and am wondering will this negatively affect my strength gains? I'm finding that what is keeping me motivated is going heavy, setting goals and knocking them out workout after workout, as opposed to just chasing the pump I guess. So can I continue gaining strength running at a caloric deficit, or should I spend another couple of months I get maintaining / getting beginner gains, and then start to seriously cut.

Also with my deadlift, I've been doing them heavy once a week, and also a light day once a week. Last week I worked up to a 1rm of 180kg, and was just after some form critique. Personally, I felt my legs locked a little too early, and I was unable to keep my thoracic extension through the middle of the lift. Any input on where I could look to improve my form would be appreciated, My goal is to eventually pull 300kg on the deadlift (someday :D) thanks :D.

You only started training 2 months ago and you can deadlift like that with 180 kilograms?
Not sure if you’re serious but if you are then I would say your form looks fine. When going for a max attempt it’s normal for the back to round slightly and yours seems to stay rigid so no real problem there.

You seem to have a pretty shitty bench press though and that is most likely due to your shoulder injury. I would dump the bench press for a while and use dumbbells. Bench press can be very hard on the shoulder joint whilst flat dumbbell bench press is fine and actually works the chest better anyway. If you plan on being a powerlifter then obviously you have to get good at Barbell bench press but I would just give it a rest for a while until your shoulder gets better. Read the how to bench press series on Dave Tate’s site. It’s the best coaching of the bench press I’ve seen.

As for dieting and strength levels go if you really have only been training for 2 months then you will continue to make gains for a lot longer yet. At some stage it will slow down then you will have to use other methods of progression but there are hundreds of articles on here about how to make progressions on the big 3 lifts. Most lifters use linear progressions until they run out then they begin to periodize. The gains come slower but as you are new to it the gains will keep on coming.

At your weight all you need to do is learn about nutrition and start eliminating crap food from your diet. No reason to do a cut if your goal is to be a powerlifter but no reason to stuff your face with crap either. Plenty of articles on here about nutrition so I suggest you read up about it because it is very important.

[quote]rasatouche wrote:
… currently I’m about 141kg body weight, ~30% body fat, and for the last month or so have been doing a basic 5x5 program with some light accessory work (5 - 6 accessory exercises), full body, 3 times a week. [/quote]
5-6 Accessory lifts every workout? What do your sessions look like?

If you cut calories or carbs too fast, too soon, and/or too much, then your strength can definitely take a hit. But if you keep things moving gradually and more reasonably, you should be able to keep seeing progress in the lifts. That’s actually a good rule of thumb to see when/if you’ve got the diet dialed in - if bodyweight or measurements are dropping and strength is staying or improving, you’re on track.

Then keep going heavy, setting goals, and knocking them out. You may eventually have to train smarter (maybe less volume, tweaked frequency, etc.), but deal with that as it comes.

If want to drop fat, then drop fat, but do it smart. It’s not generally advised to chase two different goals at once (like burning fat and increasing your bench, for example), because you’ll most often see better overall progress if you focus 100% on one goal, achieve it, and then focus 100% on another goal.

That said, you’re at a point where you’re likely still new enough to training that you can still squeeze progress out of cleaning up your diet like you’ve been, while still lifting hard and consistently. I just wouldn’t expect to keep dropping 3 or 4kg per month. It’s nice, but it won’t last forever.