T Nation

Newbi Looking For Advice

I?m a new member here and I figured I would present my situation to the more experienced members of the board.

I am 21 years old; I have never really been in good shape. When I was 16 I was 6 feet tall and 285. Now I am 6?3-6?4 and about 265, I have a size 42 waist and really do not have a lot of strength at least compared to most guys my size.

I had made progress over the summer when I worked lawn care but once I got back into an office type job I lost all progress from the summers work

My main hobby is playing competitive slow pitch softball. Play softball had helped get myself into better shape, but now I am being held back from advancing by the shape I am in. Also playing when you are out of shape can lead to more injuries

What I am looking to lose is the extra weight and flab.

What I?m looking to gain is Strength, Running/Sprinting speed, Stamina, and to have a healthier life.

What I?m looking to get from here is suggestion on diet, workout programs, anything that will help me. I work 8-5 and I play ball 2-3 nights a week. So I have a lot of things to work a program around

I know that if I do not do something about the way my body is right now I will have serious health problems later in my life.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and advice

Added pic to show you where i am

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/superdafe/Resizeofstarting.jpg

From one beginner to another here is the best advice I can give you. Follow the steps listed below very carefully.

1. Read the “New to T-Nation?” and “Are You A Beginner II” threads beginning to end.

2. Assess yourself to determine what you’re doing today that isn’t working for you. No one here can judge whether you have medical issues that need to be addressed or whether you are carb-sensitive or insulin-resistant. That part is up to you.

3. Determine what your internal motivation is. Employ those close to you to help and encourage you. No one here can motivate you to eat clean at midnight when that carton of ice cream is calling you.

4. Write down SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time Specific) goals that you plan to meet.

5. Repeat Step One and TAKE NOTES.

6. Find a diet and workout program that provide the best fit to your personal assessment and goals.

7. Once you’ve made sure you’re medically clear to begin, start the diet immediately and get to the gym.

8. Any time you have questions, use the search feature. Don’t be the guy who asks the same question that 100 others have asked without attempting to take some personal responsibility for finding the answer.

9. If you’ve used the search feature and can’t find the answer to your question, take the time to phrase it carefully and with sufficient detail. The resources here are FANTASTIC but they have lives also, help them help you.

[quote]sdafe34 wrote:
I?m a new member here and I figured I would present my situation to the more experienced members of the board.

I am 21 years old; I have never really been in good shape. When I was 16 I was 6 feet tall and 285. Now I am 6?3-6?4 and about 265, I have a size 42 waist and really do not have a lot of strength at least compared to most guys my size.

I had made progress over the summer when I worked lawn care but once I got back into an office type job I lost all progress from the summers work

My main hobby is playing competitive slow pitch softball. Play softball had helped get myself into better shape, but now I am being held back from advancing by the shape I am in. Also playing when you are out of shape can lead to more injuries

What I am looking to lose is the extra weight and flab.

What I?m looking to gain is Strength, Running/Sprinting speed, Stamina, and to have a healthier life.

What I?m looking to get from here is suggestion on diet, workout programs, anything that will help me. I work 8-5 and I play ball 2-3 nights a week. So I have a lot of things to work a program around

I know that if I do not do something about the way my body is right now I will have serious health problems later in my life.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and advice
[/quote]

Wow, like you work 40 hours a week and play softball another 2-3 nights per week? Man, I don’t know what I would do if I had all that on my plate. I mean, jeez, a man has to sleep.

You still have weekends and 4-5 nights per week to find time to work out? It sounds like you need more excuses not to work out.

If you want to lose weight, you have to do it through eating right and eating less. No more donuts in the morning, office buffets, cakes and pies, all of those freebie calories you get during that 40 hours of hell.

If you want to gain strength, you need to start working out 3 times a week, total body. Start slowly and know you are going to need to work out consistently with an increasing level of difficulty for a period of years if you are going to make the kind of progress you are asking about.

are there any good workouts for people who play sports?

“What I am looking to lose is the extra weight and flab”.

-Burn more calories than you take in. Very simple.

-Find a strength training program on this site and use it. Include a leg workout…squats, deads, lunges…and your speed will increase. Or, to increase running/sprinting speed AND stamina…Run and Sprint!
Those are simple answers to simple questions. No need to overthink things. Just get out and do them.

[quote]sdafe34 wrote:
are there any good workouts for people who play sports?[/quote]

OPf course what are you looking to do/improve. West Side for skinny bastards comes to mind. Eric Cresseys off season manual etc

Phill

[quote]sdafe34 wrote:
are there any good workouts for people who play sports?[/quote]

Hundreds.

Uphill sprints (or up the steps at the local stadium) will get your fat burning going. Put a bucket at the top, you might need it.