Newbee: Help With Progress

Hi.

When i started bulk 2 months ago my stats were
100 pounds, 9 % body fat, 27 waist, 5 feet 5 inches tall 26 y male . Was ON BFFM by tom venuto from march 2005 to July 2005.

Ok now my stats are
107 pounds weight, 12.5 % body fat 28 waist line and the rest are all the same.

I am presently taking 2200 cal/ day with a breakup of 40 % carbs, 35 % proteins and 25 % fats.

I have checked ian kings and Poliquins articles and i just dont know what to do . Can someone help me customize my workout please

I have been experimenting with my workouts eversince these two months and this is what i have come up with and have been using it religiously for the last two weeks and its my third week now.If you are a professional it may be flawed but thats exactly why i posted this so someone can throw in some expert advice.

I used all the intenet sources and Toms book ( pages 300-305 ) and this is what i came up with. Let me know if i am overtraining and if anyone can throw in the TEmpo for all the exercises i would really appreciate that. I use only free weights and workout at home on my bench and swiss ball.

Train 4 times a week ( i am using toms intermediate routine variant 1 “aggressive” ) alternatively the same routine has a variant 2 more conservative three times a week with day two of week 1 replacing day 1 of week 1 in week two.

Basically i am an ectomorph but a short variant i guess thats why you would see me training my forearms alot.

Mondays and Thursdays = Chest / shoulders / Triceps/ Abs = Split A

Tuesdays and Saturdays = Legs/ Back /Biceps / Calves. = Split B

I train abs on saturdays too so that makes it three times a week .

Mondays : A.Chest = A1. Incline (25 Degrees) Bb Bench press 4 sets 8-12 reps .
A2. Flat Db press 3 sets 8-12 reps
A3. incline (45 degrees) flys 3 sets 8-12 reps

B.Shoulders = B1 Front Bb press 4 sets 8-12 reps
B2. Arnold press 4 sets 8-12 reps
B3. Db Upright rows 3 sets 8-12 reps ( for Traps.)

C. Triceps = C1 Overhead Bb extension 3 sets 8-12 reps
C2. Lying Db Extension 3 sets 8-12 reps

D. Abs = D1 . Raised Leg crunches 3 sets 25-30 reps or more
D2 . Raised Leg Cross Twist 3 sets 15-25 reps or more
D3. Leg raises 10-15 reps

Tuesdays : A. Legs A1. Db Lunges 4 sets 8-12 reps
A2. Bb Deadlifts 4 sets 8-12 reps

B. Legs B1. Bb Squats 4 sets 8-12 Reps
B2. Leg Curls 3 Sets 8-12 Reps

C. Back Bb Rows 4 sets 8-12 Reps

D. Calves standing Db Raises 4 sets 12-15 Reps

E. Biceps E1. Bb Curls 3 sets 8-12 Reps
E2. Incline Db curls 8-12 Reps

F. Forearms F1. Db wrist curls
F2. Reverse BB curls

Wednesday : Rest

Thursdays : A. Chest A1. Flat Db press 3 sets 8-12 reps
A2. Inline (25 degrees) Bb press 3 sets 8-12 reps
A3. Flat Flys 3 sets 8-12 reps

B.Shoulders B1. Front Db press 4 sets 8-12 reps
B2. Lateral Raise 4 sets 8-12 reps
B3. Db upright row 3 sets 8-12 reps

C.Triceps C1. Lying Bb extension 3 sets 8-12 reps
C2. Overhead Db extension 3 sets 8-12 reps

D. Abs D1. Crunches 25-30 reps or more
D2. Oblique/Side crunches 20-30 Reps or more
D3. Seated Leg raises 10-15 Reps or more

Fridays : Rest

Saturdays : A. Legs A1. Db Squats 4 sets 8-12 reps
A2. Db Deadlifts 4 sets 8-12 reps

B. Legs B1. Leg extension 3 sets 8-12 reps
B2. Hyper-extensions 3 sets 8-12 reps

C. Calves C1. Standing BB Raises 4 sets 12-15 reps

D. Back D1. One arm Row 4 sets 8-12 Reps

E. Biceps E1. Db Alternate Curls 3 sets 8-12 reps
E2. Aottman Curls 3 sets 8-12 reps

F. Forearms F1.Reverse Db extension

G. Abs G1. Swiss Ball crunches till fatigue
G2. Flutter Kicks till fatigue
G3. Bicycles till fatigue

I keep a log of all my workouts and compare all my workouts for ex. split A on week 1 mondays with split A on week 2 mondays and set 1 with set 1 next week ans so on…I have been making progress by either increasing weight or increasing reps every next workout except my shoulders . I get really tired after my chest routine.

Anyways, i have kept the same progress and have increased weight and reps in 1 out of the four shoulder exercises. Same goes for my biceps i guess they are always fatigued after my Db or barbell rows that i do for back.Yes no chinup or pull up as i dont have a bar for that yet and no decline presses as my bench does not decline.

any feedback would be highly appreciated.

thanks.

Peace.

So…2 months bulking, 2.6 pounds of muscle and 4.4 pounds of fat? Something definetly needs to be changed.

That seems like a whole lot of complicated stuff.

Looks to me like you need to eat and lift more.

How about something like this:

Monday

squat
press
pull
5x5 (setsxreps)

Wednesday

pull
squat
press
3x10

Friday

press
pull
squat
10x2-3

Do abs whenever you like, just don’t make your torso so sore you can’t do real lifts.

Also, add a spoonful of olive oil and milled flax seeds to every meal. (Don’t literally spoon it over every mean, that might make your cheerios taste funny.) I can just put a spoonful in my mouth and choke it down with water.

Good luck

-Conor

Thanks Conor

Can you explain to me what you mean when you say Press. Shoulder press or bench press. As such what exrecises you are including in pulls. If you can be a little more elaborate i would really appreciate that.

thanks for your advice.

Have a strength and conditioning coach give you a once over for strength and postural imbalances. Do something to correct those if present, then start lifting. Try to keep in mind that the programs written by the likes of King Poliquin and some of the other greats of strength and conditioning are, unless otherwise specified, for people who are very advanced. I’ve crushed a few people by accident with just a sample program of Kings.

[quote]BorisTheSpider wrote:
So…2 months bulking, 2.6 pounds of muscle and 4.4 pounds of fat? Something definetly needs to be changed.[/quote]

Yes, that’s too much fat. Obviously he needs to control blood sugar levels.

Try eating under John Berardi’s Massive Eating Diet. Or you can try JB’s book Scrawny to Brawny. Everything’s written out for you. Or you pay for his coaching program at www.scrawnytobrawny.com. Expert advice can eliminate months/years of troubleshooting and setbacks.

[quote]Griffinz wrote:
Thanks Conor

Can you explain to me what you mean when you say Press. Shoulder press or bench press. As such what exrecises you are including in pulls. If you can be a little more elaborate i would really appreciate that.

thanks for your advice.[/quote]

Well, any press, any pull. It’s really not all that important.

I like deadlifts for pull. But you could also use rack pulls, snatch variants, clean variants, rows or chins. I would use at least one “money” pull per week, like snatches, cleans or deads.

Again, almost any press; bench presses at various angles with barbell or dumbells dips, overhead presses of all kinds, dumbbell, barbell, jerks, bradfors, etc. Same story with sqats, use all kinds, front, back, overhead. Oh, do yourself a favor and read Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson’s articles. I think after you do so you’ll agree with me and mostly stay at 1.5 times shoulder width or narrower on bench presses.

Change it up, that’s the key. You can use the same repertorie of exercises and just rotate them through.

I mentioned adding flax and olive oil, but remember you can always add more vegetables too. In fact, you can kill two birds with one stone by having some vegetables and putting a little olive oil on them badb oys…

Hope that helps.

-Conor

Oh thanks alot everyone here.

Atleast you guys gave me some direction here.

Thanks Conor for all your advice and time.

“mindeffer01” then what program would you recommend me as a beginner. And if you want to take it a step further even a book with lots of pics and exercise illustrations. Any advice.

Ok “The Monk” someone else also told me the scrawny to brawny book is for me. If you have read that does it have any routines for beginners. the customized coaching option in his website is for a 1000 $ .i would definatley try eating the Berardi way. i guess thats a good advice.Have you heard of this book"The Hardgainer’s Body Building Handbook: Workouts, Nutrition, and Results
by Hugo Rivera, . Any insight on this.

I am a newbee do you guys know of any book that covers almost all or lets say most of the exercises with illustrations. Like cycling squats or bulgarian squats.

strength coaches in my homeland here in asia dont know much. So i dont guess they are much help.!

Peace.

Whatever you do, incorporate a lot of volume. Try total body workouts.

Keep it simple.

At 105lbs…you NEED to keep it simple.

Lift big, eat bigger.

Squat, deadlift, benchpress, standing military press, rows.

You need two things: sufficient calories, sufficient stimulus.

It’s simple really.

[quote]knuckles wrote:
Whatever you do, incorporate a lot of volume. Try total body workouts.[/quote]

I’d consider this stupid advice because it would appear that the routine you have has plenty of VOLUME but obviously is NOT working for you.

First of all, you are eating like a little bird, gradually start to up your calories, the incorporation of fat (like olive oil etc…) is a good idea.

At your size though, feel free to eat anything.

Next, stick to the BIG movements, no more isolation stuff. You should be doing the following:

Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press, Push Press, Pullups (with weight attached to you) and Rows, and all sorts of variations of these.

Also, it would be a good idea for you to read Chad Waterbury’s Set/Reb Bible, or hell, jump into his ABBH program.

Really though man, you need lots of WEIGHT on the bar to stimulate some growth, and lots of calories to make it happen.

Search for the Skinny Bastard Diet too, that’s a nice “cheating” way to really slam down some large amounts of calories if fat gain isn’t too important (don’t worry about your ‘abs’ if you want to GAIN some Mass).

So your homework, learn the search engine and find:

The Skinny Bastard Diet
Massive Eating Reloaded

as well as using the article library to read everything by Lonnie Lowery, John Berardi, Chad Waterbury, and Christian Thib.

Good luck

Everything you’ve read here so far is dead-on. Keep things simple. Stay away from isolation movements.

Try out one of Chad Waterbury’s programs. He’ll take the guesswork out of things for you. If you’re still struggling, shoot me an email and I’ll help you get things into place. It’s tough to comment on a complete program, especially when there are a lot of things wrong (it’s much easier to just start from scratch).