Newark, NJ

[quote]JD430 wrote:
and the gang bangers have actually made t-shirts with the date of the layoffs on them.

[/quote]

untrue.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]JD430 wrote:
and the gang bangers have actually made t-shirts with the date of the layoffs on them.

[/quote]

untrue.[/quote]

You sure man? I got that story second hand but my sources are law enforcement in that area. Didnt see it with my own eyes yet though.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
hahahah. pussy.

Where did they have you staying? In Newark or a nearby town?[/quote]

I was staying near the airport and drove into town every day-- right down Broad St. I was parking in the garage near Military Park and walked a couple blocks.

There’s some really cool old brownstone architecture, but what what with all the stuff that’s run down, it kind of looks creepy.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
OMG, how the fuck can anyone live there??!

I’m in the hotel. I want sammich. Subway across the highway. Got to drive a mile south to go north and to turn I have to drive a block the other way.

I get sammich, wait 10 minutes to get back out in traffic, have to drive past hotel to make another U-turn.

Time to get sammich from across the street: 30 min.

Ahhh, back up north where there’s more trees than peeps.[/quote]

That sucks dude. If you’re ever back there, go to the Portuguese section of town on Ferry street. It’s on the other side of the river. Fuckin awesome Rodizio places. Not sure if you’re familiar with rodizio but you pay like $30 and then they bring you fresh of the grilled meat until you can’t eat another morsel. This includes filet mignon wrapped in bacon, sausage, flank steak, sirloin, skirt steak and more. Fuck subway.

If you like hot dogs out of a truck, this one has been locally famous for years.

It’s open all night and I’ve eaten many a dog there in my heavy drinking days. Chili, cheese potato is the way to go.

The Portuguese part of Newark is safe since it borders Harrison which is a decent town so hitting the restaurants there is legit. Parking sucks but alot of them have lots.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

That sucks dude. If you’re ever back there, go to the Portuguese section of town on Ferry street. It’s on the other side of the river. Fuckin awesome Rodizio places. Not sure if you’re familiar with rodizio but you pay like $30 and then they bring you fresh of the grilled meat until you can’t eat another morsel. This includes filet mignon wrapped in bacon, sausage, flank steak, sirloin, skirt steak and more. Fuck subway.
[/quote]

Ha! It’s funny you described this. My client told me the same thing. Inevitably, at a customer site, we talk about food (because my laptop bag is full of food), especially meat. He told me about the Portugeuse section.

I may have to venture there next time I visit them.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[/quote]

Ha! It’s funny you described this. My client told me the same thing. Inevitably, at a customer site, we talk about food (because my laptop bag is full of food), especially meat. He told me about the Portugeuse section.

I may have to venture there next time I visit them.[/quote]

Definitely worth checking out. The guys you work with probably know better places than me since I’m not in Newark often but I’ve had good meals at:

http://www.spanishpavillion.com/

$28 for a lb of filet Mignon . It across the river in Harrison right off 21.

and I believe the Rodizio I go to is called Fernandez 2, they have a parking lot so no parking issues. I’ve been there probably 10 times and never had a bad meal.

[quote]JD430 wrote:

[quote]JD430 wrote:

[/quote]

untrue.[/quote]

You sure man? I got that story second hand but my sources are law enforcement in that area. Didnt see it with my own eyes yet though.[/quote]

Your sources cannot be law enforcement in that area because the story is false. The t-shirts were printed up by some member of local government on a whim, not by local “gang bangers”. The t-shirts exist, the “gang bangers” printing and wearing them do not. It’s probably LEO trying to sensationalize and cause alarm by their lay offs or, a news story that morphed inaccurately.

[quote]JD430 wrote:

[quote]JD430 wrote:

[/quote]

untrue.[/quote]

You sure man? I got that story second hand but my sources are law enforcement in that area. Didnt see it with my own eyes yet though.[/quote]

Your sources cannot be law enforcement in that area because the story is false. The t-shirts were printed up by some member of local government on a whim, not by local “gang bangers”. The t-shirts exist, the “gang bangers” printing and wearing them do not. It’s probably LEO trying to sensationalize and cause alarm by their lay offs or, a news story that morphed inaccurately.
[/quote]

The source was law enforcement in that area but it was roundabout…I’ve been around this business a while and gossip can spread like wildfire in it. There was also a report that Newark’s police union(think FOP) even repeated this claim. Any idea who actually printed the shirts? Its a claim I will correct in my neck of the woods if you have this information as solid.

Sorry in advance if this is wandering off topic.

I saw a news report on the rumor…like I said, it was probably started and perpetuated by the police union to cause panic. It’s quite transparent really.

Drive an hour south and come to Camden. Great gym on Broadway and you can walk anywhere anytime of the night - there will be a ton of locals out, the city “never sleeps”. The locals have been known to sit on their stoops at night offering mint julip and pastries to passing strangers…sometimes the guys standing on corners break out in song and everyone ends up singing.
[/quote]

LOL, the whole post was great but this part in particular had me cracking up.

White seersucker suits, handlebar mustaches and mint julips…that’s Camden in a nutshell! “Camden - where there’s always an extra bowl for a stranger and too much Jambalaya on the stove!”

The Guardian Angels visited the other day…because Curtis Silwa is a media whore. I doubt they will ever “patrol” Camden, but if they do, I’m setting the odds for the “over/under” on their swift exit, or one of them suffering an aggravated assault or worse. This aint the subways of NYC in the 80’s. You’re not down here taking on “muggers” that prey on the innocent. I can picture it now:

Guardian Angel (GA) approaching one of the dozens of drug sets throughout the city:

GA: “you sir, I just witnessed you selling what I suspect to be a controlled dangerous substance to that downtrodden fellow walking quickly away…HALT! and stay where you are…I am making a citizen arrest!”

GA is now triangulated by a small group of guys on the set, moving in like a pack of velociraptors upon prey. Aggravated assault ensues.

More likely scenario:

GA sees drug set down the block, adjusts his red beret snugly upon his head, steadies himself and keeps walking by, unperturbed from his search for “muggers”. Hell, if they’re feeling really froggy, they might even harass some prostitutes. That will take a bite out of the murder rate.

The Guardian Angels visited the other day…because Curtis Silwa is a media whore. [/quote]

Apparently, he’s also invincible or one of the luckiest men on the planet (for now).

At the risk of sending this thread to PWI, let’s talk about the stank pit that is Newark, NJ.

So, what went wrong with Newark?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

The Guardian Angels visited the other day…because Curtis Silwa is a media whore. [/quote]

Apparently, he’s also invincible or one of the luckiest men on the planet (for now).

At the risk of sending this thread to PWI, let’s talk about the stank pit that is Newark, NJ.

So, what went wrong with Newark? [/quote]

Same thing that went wrong with many small cities throughout the northeast…they lose their industry, followed by a loss of the middle class, which is followed by a loss of other businesses, which results in a loss of the tax base…local government corruption and mismanagement follows. The poor stay poor, the drug trade takes root and soon you have people raising children that have no business raising children…the schools suck, the city becomes unsafe and hopelessness sets in.

The above is what has happened in most of our small to medium sized cities. Newark’s and Camden’s stories are the same.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

Same thing that went wrong with many small cities throughout the northeast…they lose their industry, followed by a loss of the middle class, which is followed by a loss of other businesses, which results in a loss of the tax base…local government corruption and mismanagement follows. The poor stay poor, the drug trade takes root and soon you have people raising children that have no business raising children…the schools suck, the city becomes unsafe and hopelessness sets in.

The above is what has happened in most of our small to medium sized cities. Newark’s and Camden’s stories are the same.
[/quote]

Sounds like Detroit as well.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

The question was somewhat rhetorical :wink: