T Nation

New Yorkers!

Does anyone know of any cheap hotels/motels in or very close to NYC? I’m thinking about going there for a long weekend, from this Friday evening to Monday evening. I’m not too worried about how run down the place is, I just need a very cheap place (“college student budget” cheap) for a couple days. Also, does anyone know any decent gyms there? I’ll be travelling around the city all weekend, so any location within NYC is fine. Thanks in advance!

When I went to NY this summers, we got a room (holiday inn) in NJ. It was an hotel area with restaurants and everything, it was quite cheaper than NY hotels and about 30 min from NY.

there are no cheap motels in NY, you just got to look for sleepover places or have connections. Try craigslist.org, there’s all kinds of shit there.

This would be easier if you mentioned price range. I stayed there this weekend in some hotel by the bus station for $99 a night. Pretty good for Manhattan I thought. I was going to sleep in the bus station itself but there weren’t enough people around to blend in.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
Does anyone know of any cheap hotels/motels in or very close to NYC? I’m thinking about going there for a long weekend, from this Friday evening to Monday evening. I’m not too worried about how run down the place is, I just need a very cheap place (“college student budget” cheap) for a couple days. Also, does anyone know any decent gyms there? I’ll be travelling around the city all weekend, so any location within NYC is fine. Thanks in advance![/quote]

You can sign up for a free one week trial at New York Sports Club online (www.nysc.com), they have tons of them throughout the city. If you are driving down, then you are probably better off staying in either jersey or queens if you want to save money.

I’m taking the bus down. NJ is definitely an option assuming there’s a subway or some form of public transportation into NYC.

I’ll look into that NYSC thing. I used to belong to Boston Sports Club but my particular gym sucked. It’s better than nothing, especially if it’s free!

The radisson. It was nice and in the heart of the city. Very affordable IMO.

[quote]lovehunter wrote:
The radisson. It was nice and in the heart of the city. Very affordable IMO.[/quote]

$269/night is affordable?

[quote]OneEye wrote:
lovehunter wrote:

$269/night is affordable?[/quote]

It wasn’t that much when I visited a few months ago. It was less than half of that. Damn, that is expensive. I must have lucked out, and I went during the holidays. Hey, sorry for the recommendation.

[quote]lovehunter wrote:
OneEye wrote:
lovehunter wrote:

$269/night is affordable?

It wasn’t that much when I visited a few months ago. It was less than half of that. Damn, that is expensive. I must have lucked out, and I went during the holidays. Hey, sorry for the recommendation. [/quote]

No problem, I appreciate it. It seems like NYC is pretty booked this weekend, I couldn’t find a hostel at all, or any hotel rooms under $150. But I did find a room at Knights Inn in Newark, NJ. It’s only $65/night and right next to the train station. The roaches I’ll be sharing a room with are named Max and Pedro. LOL

Try the Pennsylvania Hotel right near the Garden. It’s pretty central.

Newark near the train… be careful.

Vanderbilt YMCA!
That is the cheapest you can get, with under $30 for a room.
Right next to Grand Central plus they have a gym in the basement.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Try the Pennsylvania Hotel right near the Garden. It’s pretty central.

Newark near the train… be careful.[/quote]

Yeah, make sure you’re not out alone very late. The Knight’s Inn is in a tough spot, although well lit. I have witnessed a mugging right there.

DB

[quote]OneEye wrote:

No problem, I appreciate it. It seems like NYC is pretty booked this weekend, I couldn’t find a hostel at all, or any hotel rooms under $150. But I did find a room at Knights Inn in Newark, NJ. It’s only $65/night and right next to the train station. The roaches I’ll be sharing a room with are named Max and Pedro. LOL[/quote]

It’s the playoffs and the Yankees are at home for the weekend. A lot of people come in from around the eastern U.S. for these games. Plus, it’s a holiday weekend (Colombus day) which brings in a lot of tourists as well. Good luck and enjoy.

DB

c’mon…sing along…it’s fun to stay at the Y…M…C…A!!! it’s fun to stay at the Y…M…C…A!!!

The Vanderbilt Y is full (like every Y in NYC right now), and the Pennsylvania is too expensive. I think I can handle 2 nights at Knights Inn. Thanks for the help, guys.

one word bud: Jersey (NJ) is close and has much better rates…

Holiday Inn
HASBROUCK HEIGHTS-MEADOWLANDS
283 ROUTE 17 SOUTH
HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, NJ 07604
Rooms about $139
About 10 minutes from NYC, should be able to get near it from a bus.

Hilton Newark Gateway at Penn Station
Gateway Center - Raymond Blvd
Newark, New Jersey 07102-5107
Rooms about $149
Perfect if you want mass transit, decent hotel right across from train & bus terminal that can take you just about anywhere.

There are also many ?pay by the hour? motels on Route 46 in NJ pretty close to the city. I?m not sure what the rates are or if they take reservations, but if you are desperate, they probably are cheaper.

I live in NJ about 10 min outside NY and go to school in Newark, NJ so if you need any directions or anything, let me know.

Like I said, I have a reservation at Knights Inn in Newark. It’s only $65 a night, which is perfect for my budget.

used2bhot, do you know which train I take from New York to get to Newark? And where I’d catch it?

[quote]OneEye wrote:
Like I said, I have a reservation at Knights Inn in Newark. It’s only $65 a night, which is perfect for my budget.

used2bhot, do you know which train I take from New York to get to Newark? And where I’d catch it?[/quote]

Go to Penn Station, take a NJ Transit train that goes through the Broad Street station in Newark. The Morris and Sussex line or Montclair line. Go to NJTransit.com and you can get schedules, fares, etc. It’s a decent site. One thing they’re not great about is informing people about peak and non-peak fares. It shouldn’t be an issue if its only on the weekend though. Buy your tickets before boarding because they will charge you $5 if you buy on the train. Another thing, if you get to Penn St (NY, not Newark) there are often long lines for tickets in the NJ Transit portion of the terminal (has tannish marble floors, modern lighting, etc). There is a larger bank of ticket machines in the older Amtrak section of the station - look for the really big departure board hanging from the ceiling. If you’re not comfortable with the machines, there are ticket windows there as well. Most people I see wait in long lines in the NJ Transit terminal because they presumably don’t know about the other area. Hope this helps.

DB