New York Hardcore (NYHC) Show

Any NY-LI HC fans here?

I am considering going to this. I have not been a true fan of any particular genre of music for some time but for some reason unbeknownst to me–maybe a third life crisis–I have rekindled a guilty pleasure, listening to hardcore and metal. I am 35, so I missed the golden era of NY hardcore and metal. I started listening at thirteen in '93 after some hardcore kid (who later became a white power skinhead, which was odd considering the scene by then was multicultural) spewed off some band names to me and I decided to check them out with some CD’s I bought from Tower Records on LI. Why this kid liked my company in gym class knowing I am Jewish was beyond me. He spoke of fights, “crews”, and invited me to go to CB’s on Sundays (I believe this was shortly before the matinees stopped). I brushed off his invitations because I was scared, and rightfully so, because at thirteen, from a quiet suburban-like town I had no idea what the heck crews , fighting, and the like were about, nor did I want to (I did like reading highway graffiti as a child though during trips to the Bronx with my mom).

So I just remained listening to the music but never attending. I did attend some metal shows, which are far different than HC shows. Now at 35 I think I might go to this… alone that is because my fiance, family, and friends HATE this sort of music.

If I recall correctly, Matt XL was a big HC fan and was in the thick of it. Any other fans here? I liked and got back into Sick of It All, Agnostic Front, Earth Crisis, Madball, and some others I’ve been checking out. I had every AF album until they started to diversify around the mid 90s. I did not get so much into the “thug core” schtick but I loved Skarhead, and I remember the leader Ezec’s “E” tags all over Northern and Western Queens back in the day.

I’m from the Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat era, so my love of hardcore isn’t familiar with the newer stuff.
Same with metal. Late 70’s and some late 80’s metal (NOT hair-metal), but not into the newer death and black metals.

If the sentiment and sound are similar to the past greats, I’d be interested!

[quote]CLUNK wrote:
I’m from the Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat era, so my love of hardcore isn’t familiar with the newer stuff.
Same with metal. Late 70’s and some late 80’s metal (NOT hair-metal), but not into the newer death and black metals.

If the sentiment and sound are similar to the past greats, I’d be interested!

[/quote]

I couldn’t stand Dead Kennedys. I know they are one of the legendary punk bands, but I find Jello’s lyrics and vocals highly irritating. He’s an intelligent guy, but I think he says off-the-wall stuff to get people’s goat. Ever see his You Tube series “What Would Jello Do?”

I was into thrash from age nine. I loved old Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, and the like. Then I got into harder thrash like Kreator, Sodom, Slayer, Celtic Frost.
and then eventually death metal, like Morbid Angel, Entombed, Destroyer (thrash-death crossover), and so on.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[/quote]

Just an old punk myself. Also where I lie for most hardcore. I think of Minor Threat, MDC, Bad Brains, MDC, SSDecontrol, etc

Though I will say that I do like a bunch of newer stuff, Agnostic Front, Madball, etc.

One of my favourite full albums is Promises Kept by Champion. A straight edge band that broke up back in 2006. Great training tape too.

I gotta say I am a sucker for some of the NY-LI tough guy stuff. LMAO!

This video brought back so much nostalgia with shout-outs to LI and the boroughs of NYC.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
I gotta say I am a sucker for some of the NY-LI tough guy stuff. LMAO!

This video brought back so much nostalgia with shout-outs to LI and the boroughs of NYC.

[/quote]

That was good. Ottawa used to have a great punk scene back in the late 80s to mid-90s, some legendary bands coming through and what not. I was going to 2-3 gigs a week. I think having a bunch of locations for all ages shows plus local bands who worked hard made it happen. Now, all the gigs are at bars increasing price and limiting who gets to go. Add that to the local bands who might play 3-4 times a year rather than weekly. But they do manage to update their social media on a daily basis, sadly.

Forgot another couple of NY hardcore bands that I like, Kill Your Idols. More melodic than most.

Also very much liking the Creem discography. From Brooklyn I think

Thanks for this Brick. I think the last show I went to was about 10 years ago. Sworn Enemy and 5 minute Major lol. Growing up these bands were my heroes loved the music and the scene. Those all ages shows were crazy and downright intimidating for me as a kid. It would be great to see SOIA and Madball play again 2 of my favorites. Maybe I’ll load up my minivan with my old friends from Queens and relive some of the great times of my youth

There’s no voice like Dock Dart.

For the Tesco Vee fans, he’s apparently alive and still kicking:

http://www.lyrics-youtube.com/lyrics/the-meatmen-war-of-the-superbikes-vol2-full-album-2011-QZ5tP0HYS9U

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
For the Tesco Vee fans, he’s apparently alive and still kicking:

[/quote]

Hah, he sure is. Going to see the Meatmen in May. More punk than hardcore but still great.

I’m only familiar with MadBall and the crumbsuckers. However, PRO-PAIN is probably one of my favorite bands of all time.

I know Blood for Blood is from boston, but they’re another one of my favorite hardcore bands of all time, which I learned about from this site.

I saw these guys with Seven Seconds, D.R.I., and the Melvins (and, if IIRC, one of the first shows Nirvana did before anybody had ever heard of them) in a little hole in Olympia, WA. Me and my buddy had suits on and wore a Reagan and Nixon mask and were stage-diving our asses off.

One of the coolest shows ever was Bad Religion in Seattle the night the first Iraq ground war started circa Feb. 1991. There was a countdown for the start of the ground war and the place just went fucking sick.

Husker Du was one of the best shows I’ve seen.

Social Distortion had some great shows too.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:
Husker Du was one of the best shows I’ve seen.

Social Distortion had some great shows too. [/quote]

SD was awesome.

New York tough guy thugcore. Roger from AF and Freddy from Madball guest star. :slight_smile:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
One of the coolest shows ever was Bad Religion in Seattle the night the first Iraq ground war started circa Feb. 1991. There was a countdown for the start of the ground war and the place just went fucking sick.

Bad Religion - Against The Grain (Full Album) - YouTube [/quote]

I saw Bad Religion with Samiam when I was fifteen, at Roseland Ballroom in Manhattan. It was wild.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Thanks for this Brick. I think the last show I went to was about 10 years ago. Sworn Enemy and 5 minute Major lol. Growing up these bands were my heroes loved the music and the scene. Those all ages shows were crazy and downright intimidating for me as a kid. It would be great to see SOIA and Madball play again 2 of my favorites. Maybe I’ll load up my minivan with my old friends from Queens and relive some of the great times of my youth[/quote]

I was hoping you would see this and reply. Thanks!

I’m sure they won’t be intimidating now considering you’re pretty scary looking now. :slight_smile:

If you are going, please update this thread or email me at the address from long back. I don’t use that one much now, but I check it once in awhile. I wouldn’t mind saying hello. I am likely going with my friend if he can get off from work on Saturday, or will go to the Sunday show if he can’t do that… or both (if I have the energy). If he doesn’t go, I’m going alone.

I’m sure you’re familiar with Lord Ezec from Skarhead and Crown of Thornz. If I recall, he is from your town, or near you. Did you check out his new rap stuff? It’s kind of corny, but I think you might appreciate this video. It reminded me so much of my childhood with all the writers featured. I remember them like yesterday. My uncle had a store near Five Pointz, where much of this video was filmed.

(Pardon the derail on my own thread).

For some reason a lot of NYHC guys are dabbling with rap now.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
I’m only familiar with MadBall and the crumbsuckers. However, PRO-PAIN is probably one of my favorite bands of all time.
. [/quote]

Are you from one of the boroughs of NYC?