T Nation

New York Giants/Jets Stadium - Licensing Fee

Some Key Quotes:
"Less than five months after winning the Super Bowl, the Giants said Thursday that they would charge their fans one-time fees, called personal seat licenses, for every seat in the stadium that they were building with the Jets.

John Mara, the president and co-owner of the Giants, said fans would have to pay $1,000 to $20,000 each for the licenses �?? the rights to purchase season tickets at the stadium, which was scheduled to open in 2010. "

"Mara said that �??it would have been impossible�?? to finance the Giants�?? half of the stadium without selling seat licenses.

Not only are the Giants and the Jets splitting the cost of the most expensive stadium in the N.F.L., but the league is requiring that they repay their debt faster than even their banks required. Each team received $150 million from the league�??s stadium-financing program to defray construction costs."

" The price has ranged from a few hundred dollars to $10,000 each at the renovated Soldier Field in Chicago. That was topped last year when the Dallas Cowboys started charging up to $150,000 each for the right to lease elite club seats at their new stadium in Arlington, Tex., which is scheduled to open in 2009.

The Cowboys subsequently exempted about 20 percent of the seating bowl from seat licenses and priced the remaining ones at $2,000 to $5,000. No Giants season-ticket holder will be able to escape the purchase of a license."

My family has had season tickets since the Giants played at the Polo Grounds. We have six seats in the lower tier. This “licensing fee” is going to cost my family $60,000!

There’s an 80 year old man with 8 seats…

If you ask me, this is absolutely fucking disgusting.

Well NOBODY responded to this topic, but I thought maybe I’d update from last night’s game…

Steve Tisch (co-owner) came out at halftime to talk about a cancer research telethon.

NONE of the fans knew that fact though. Every season ticket holder got on their feet the moment he came on and booed. It just kept getting louder and louder as he kept talking. I’ve been to a lot of games at a lot of different stadiums and I have never heard a crowd that loud. Ever.

Then Christie Brinkly came out and the crowd instantly started cheering. Like I said, nobody knew it was about cancer research.

That is INSANE! $60,000!? DO they give you a certain period of time to pay it, or is it a “cut me a cheque or lose your seats” kind of deal?

And that money gets you nothing extra, just the rights to continue to PAY for season tickets? WOW.