New Year, New You? Then Read!

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
4. Men, stop wearing gloves. You are not a hand model and you look like a total wuss wearing them. The same goes for the sissy pad on the squat. The sissy pad can even be dangerous as it can cause the bar to slip off your back.
[/quote]

That happened to me, except the bar was too thick for the pad and the pad slipped off. No injury luckily. Peice of shit pad.

[quote]imasri wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
4. Men, stop wearing gloves. You are not a hand model and you look like a total wuss wearing them. The same goes for the sissy pad on the squat. The sissy pad can even be dangerous as it can cause the bar to slip off your back.

That happened to me, except the bar was too thick for the pad and the pad slipped off. No injury luckily. Peice of shit pad.
[/quote]

Live and learn right?

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
LIFTING:
11. When someone asks you to spot them, do not grip the bar and hold on for dear life. Rather keep your hands off until the bar speed starts to slow. Then you can put your hands on the bar and only lift as little as possible to help the person with the rep.
[/quote]

Ugh. I have to disagree here. If you’re spotting, ask the person when they would like help, or only lift the bar off of them when the lift is missed.

I personally don’t want any help, at all. The spotter is not there to help until I officially miss the lift: the bar is going opposite the direction I’m pushing it.

Far too many times have I had some dude “help” me lift the bar when benching. If the bar is still going up, keep your grubby hands off of it. Thank you. :slight_smile:

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
LIFTING:
11. When someone asks you to spot them, do not grip the bar and hold on for dear life. Rather keep your hands off until the bar speed starts to slow. Then you can put your hands on the bar and only lift as little as possible to help the person with the rep.

Ugh. I have to disagree here. If you’re spotting, ask the person when they would like help, or only lift the bar off of them when the lift is missed.

I personally don’t want any help, at all. The spotter is not there to help until I officially miss the lift: the bar is going opposite the direction I’m pushing it.

Far too many times have I had some dude “help” me lift the bar when benching. If the bar is still going up, keep your grubby hands off of it. Thank you. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Hmm I made have chosen poor wording because I am agreeing 100% with you!

When I said put their hands on it I meant just be ready. I was just trying to make sure they wouldn’t keep their hands on the bar 100% of the time which is annoying. I personally like the persons hands to be close to the bar on a 1RM but not touching.

Good point out though!

Well i am looking for athletic performance and not for bodybuilding purposes… allthough its always nice to get a little somethingsomething to show off…

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
LIFTING:

[/quote]

you took words out of my mouth! I get the same thing and its the most annoying move you can do to me while working out. Hands off!

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
deanosumo wrote:
My gym is full enough already. I would like to officially discourage the New Years resolutioners from coming in and getting in my way. Go use the elliptical for two weeks! Then give up so I don`t have to queue at the drinking fountain. If you want an idle pastime you can go antique hunting on Sundays.

Booo, come on man do you really want to have to see all these people waddling around your town? I would rather have to wait a little bit long for a bench than wonder how I’m going to squeeze by Mrs. Thunder Thighs in aisle 8 at the grocery store![/quote]

Yeah true. I didnt mean to diss your thread, but I just get sick of the resolutioners. If they are still training in March I will show them some respect. But at the moment there is an influx of fat women and skinny boys. Skinny boys curling. And benching. And curling. And benching. Fat women using one plate on machines. One plate. Theres no weight involved. Its air training` i think.

i can’t get on the machiens to do a 3 minute cardio warmup anymore. its teh ghe

Good solid information for new members, I would sticky this. Never be afraid to ask for a spot also like people have mentioned. Also order some chalk if your gym allows it-liquid chalk if it doesn’t, you can get that at YouTube - Elite FTS | EliteFTS, it will do wonders for you as most bars at commercial gyms are kind of slippery. Its incredibly cheap also, like less then 5 bucks for a POUND!

Lift heavy and eat well and you will go very far.

How you guys feel about the spotter adding preassure on the eccentric part of a benchpress on REP days ??

[quote]blunt wrote:
How you guys feel about the spotter adding preassure on the eccentric part of a benchpress on REP days ?? [/quote]

I would rather use bands or chains than someone pressing down on the bar. You can buy mini bands for around $20.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Good solid information for new members, I would sticky this. Never be afraid to ask for a spot also like people have mentioned. Also order some chalk if your gym allows it-liquid chalk if it doesn’t, you can get that at YouTube - Elite FTS | EliteFTS, it will do wonders for you as most bars at commercial gyms are kind of slippery. Its incredibly cheap also, like less then 5 bucks for a POUND!

Lift heavy and eat well and you will go very far. [/quote]

Good point on the chalk! It seems like every bar at the gym is smooth with no grip, plus chalk is a hell of a lot better than lifting gloves!