New Year, New You? Then Read!

Ok so as the New Year starts we clearly have an influx of new members here. No surprise there, there are always a huge rush of new faces to the gyms, lifting websites, and supplement stores.

With that in mind I thought we should start a thread to hopefully keep these new faces in the gym and on the boards, rather than the typical sticking around for a month or two, then giving up. We need to try and keep these people around and hopefully educate them so we have less people during dumb things in the gym and possibly make the world a little less fat.

So with that introduction let’s get to some tips on both lift and posting on T-Nation!

LIFTING:

1. Please read up on some beginner workouts and go into the gym with a plan! This cuts down on the time you are wondering around the gym with that confused look in your eyes, and will also help you see much better gains in the gym. You can use the SEARCH button at the top of the screen to find a workout plan that matches your specific goal (fat loss, strength gain, more muscle mass, ect.).

2. I won’t go into all the different diets, but remember it’s 10% training, 10% mental attitude, and 80% diet! Again, pick a diet that matches your goals.

3. Ladies, put down the pink DB’s and start lifting HEAVY and use the major lifts (bench, squat, and deadlift). You will not get huge manly muscles, rather you will get great arms and shoulders as well as a killer set of legs!

4. Men, stop wearing gloves. You are not a hand model and you look like a total wuss wearing them. The same goes for the sissy pad on the squat. The sissy pad can even be dangerous as it can cause the bar to slip off your back.

5. Remember to do full range of movement. A 1/10 rep wont help you to get any stronger or bigger. There is a 120lb guy at my gym that does 1/10th reps on leg press, yet his legs look like pencils for a reason.

6. Remember to clear your weights when you are done. Nothing irritates people more than the person who loads the bar, does one rep, and walks away.

7. You do not need to wear a belt for every exercise you do! Only wear a lifting belt on your heaviest sets, otherwise you’ll only end up weakening your back.

8. Men, don’t sit and stare at the women in a creepy manor when they are lifting! The goal isn’t to creep them all out and chase them away to Curves where they won�??t lose and fat or gain any muscle! This advice comes from three guys, who weren’t even lifting, but were staring at a figure competitor at my gym last night until she was so creeped out, she left for the night.

9. If you are going to workout with someone, make sure you chose someone who won�??t miss workouts or slow your progress in anyway. You do not need Toxic people in your life.

10. Don’t go overboard on supplements if you are new. You don’t need any miracle pill, just stick with the basics. The basics being protein, creatine, BCAA’s, fish oil, and maybe a fat burner like HOT-ROX.

POSTING on T-Nation:

1. If you post your picture in the Rate My Physique section remember you are being based on a 10 being Mr./Mrs. O. Don’t get upset if you don’t get a good score even though you made great progress. Don’t bother posting in there if you look like a twig, it won�??t end pretty.

2. Ladies, I wouldn’t suggest using the term tone or firm up. Rather go with build muscle or fat loss. Pictures are always welcome.

3. Don’t post looking for steroid hook-ups or saying how they will kill you. Chances are if you are reading this you don’t need to be posting in that section anyway unless it’s a well thought out question.

4. NO-Explode is toxic and not good for you. It doesn’t work miracles either.

5. Ask a lot of good questions, after all you are here to learn and at least some of us are here to help.

6. I’m out of ideas at the moment but I’m sure some good ones are to follow!

I know we have a very similar thread to this one already, but let’s face it, people often read the newest threads before old ones.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
2. I won’t go into all the different diets, but remember it’s 10% training, 10% mental attitude, and 80% diet! Again, pick a [/quote]

I liked all your points, but this one seems a little off, in my opinion. I’d say, for most lifters, whether new or experienced, the breakdown should be something like 30% training, 20% diet, and 50% mental attitude. A lifter can make very tangible progress with a crappy diet as far as muscle gains go, but without proper training, their body composition will go nowhere. Of course, the diet will top off the progress, which is why I’ve given it 20%.

The biggest thing, though, is mental attitude. Now, I base my scale off what a typical letter grading scale would be, just because its easy to understand. If you slouch on diet, you are still in the B range, which is passing, but just barely above average. If you slouch on training and just go in, hit some machines, then leave, you get a C-. Without the drive to do all that is necessary to reach your physique goals, however, you fail. Plain and simple.

Good list CrewPierce. Gets my vote for another sticky straight off.

Adding to your Lifting point 1 - If you are a beginner, do a beginners workout. Not an intermediate, not an advanced, a beginners.

Stick with it for at least 8 weeks. You will not go to bed one night and wake up the next morning ripped. It takes time and effort. Give yourself a chance.

Doing too much can be nearly as bad as doing too little. The workouts are designed to give the right balance of exercise and rest. Don’t mess with them until you know a lot more.

And finally, don’t try to make too many big changes all at once. There’s lots to learn so keep reading and learning, but you don’t have to put everything into practise straight away.

I second Renton’s suggestions: Sticky! (but don’t send him a t-shirt he’s getting enough supps for free already, :slight_smile:

[quote]Epimetheus wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
2. I won’t go into all the different diets, but remember it’s 10% training, 10% mental attitude, and 80% diet! Again, pick a

I liked all your points, but this one seems a little off, in my opinion. I’d say, for most lifters, whether new or experienced, the breakdown should be something like 30% training, 20% diet, and 50% mental attitude. A lifter can make very tangible progress with a crappy diet as far as muscle gains go, but without proper training, their body composition will go nowhere. Of course, the diet will top off the progress, which is why I’ve given it 20%.

The biggest thing, though, is mental attitude. Now, I base my scale off what a typical letter grading scale would be, just because its easy to understand. If you slouch on diet, you are still in the B range, which is passing, but just barely above average. If you slouch on training and just go in, hit some machines, then leave, you get a C-. Without the drive to do all that is necessary to reach your physique goals, however, you fail. Plain and simple. [/quote]

I agree with the mental aspect being very important! However, even if you have the mind set down, the training flawless, if you are eating crap than you wont see results.

Many people forget about the diet when they are starting off, rather they are looking for that miracle program and they wonder why they aren’t seeing the results they want and give up. Haha I didn’t give up but when I first started lifting I must admit I wasn’t into improving my diet and as a result I didn’t add any muscle!

[quote]PozzSka wrote:
I second Renton’s suggestions: Sticky! (but don’t send him a t-shirt he’s getting enough supps for free already, :slight_smile: [/quote]

Haha I didn’t know you got a T-Shirt if they sticky your thread!

Renton made some great additions by the way!

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:

1. Men, don’t sit and stare at the women in a creepy manor when they are lifting! The goal isn’t to creep them all out and chase them away to Curves where they won�??t lose and fat or gain any muscle! This advice comes from three guys, who weren’t even lifting, but were staring at a figure competitor at my gym last night until she was so creeped out, she left for the night.

[/quote]

LOL i had to stop myself the otherday. there was this gurl i had never seen before in the gym (i hadnt worked out in a month) on the leg press machine i had to literally stop myself from looking (once i noticed she saw me) and focus on my squats. i very rarely see attractive black women in my gym working out let alone any that are my age XD.

Bump for the thread

Good list–My 2 cents–

We measure time in years. Not weeks. Don’t get all upset and impatient for progress if you’re only a few weeks into your training. This is a lifestyle, not a quick fix, and ONLY those who figure that out succeed. Everyone else falls off the bandwagon when things get tough. Mental discipline comes first. This means that even people who’ve been at it for 6-8 months have many years left, so don’t get impatient. Work hard, and make progress. Make excuses, get nothing.

Also, measuring time in years means that we don’t need any newbs posting in the Steroids thread asking about DNP, Test, Tren, or anything else. You’re not ready, and you have not hit your genetic peak after 5 months of on/off lifting. Don’t even go there, it won’t end nicely.

I’d like to add …

Be consistent! Follow your eating and workout plan, consistently, day in and day out.

bump. good read

yea nice thread idea…

But what are us newbs going to do in here ? post workouts ? have a mini-log in here ?

im a little confused ?

My gym is full enough already. I would like to officially discourage the New Years resolutioners from coming in and getting in my way. Go use the elliptical for two weeks! Then give up so I don`t have to queue at the drinking fountain. If you want an idle pastime you can go antique hunting on Sundays.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
My gym is full enough already. I would like to officially discourage the New Years resolutioners from coming in and getting in my way. Go use the elliptical for two weeks! Then give up so I don`t have to queue at the drinking fountain. If you want an idle pastime you can go antique hunting on Sundays.[/quote]

Booo, come on man do you really want to have to see all these people waddling around your town? I would rather have to wait a little bit long for a bench than wonder how I’m going to squeeze by Mrs. Thunder Thighs in aisle 8 at the grocery store!

LIFTING:
11. When someone asks you to spot them, do not grip the bar and hold on for dear life. Rather keep your hands off until the bar speed starts to slow. Then you can put your hands on the bar and only lift as little as possible to help the person with the rep.
12. If you aren’t sure you can handle the spot don’t let your ego get in the way, let the person know! I saw this happen to the guy next to me the other day. He was benching around 400 and he couldn’t get it past his sticking point on his second rep. His spotter tried to help but the bar started to come back down on the guy benching. Luckily I was paying attention and helped the guy before he got stapled.

POSTING:
7. Please do not ask us what NO product is better, there is no proof that any of them work.
8. Spelling and perfect grammar aren’t 100% needed all the time on here, but please don’t write in e-thug. Chances are you are white and live in a rich suburb… you aren’t fooling anyone.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
POSTING:
7. Please do not ask us what NO product is better, there is no proof that any of them work.
[/quote]

NO or ON ?? i only heard about ON…

And a question for everyone

What would you prefer if you had spare time in the gym…

i am currently in a situation where i sometimes have 10-15 min spare in the gym before we have practice(handball)

would you do some lifting or would you do some serious stretching ?

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:

1. Spelling and perfect grammar aren’t 100% needed all the time on here, but please don’t write in e-thug. Chances are you are white and live in a rich suburb… you aren’t fooling anyone.[/quote]

aye can i write in e-thug?

[quote]blunt wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
POSTING:

NO or ON ?? i only heard about ON…

And a question for everyone

What would you prefer if you had spare time in the gym…

i am currently in a situation where i sometimes have 10-15 min spare in the gym before we have practice(handball)

would you do some lifting or would you do some serious stretching ?[/quote]

N.O. aka Nitric Oxide products. The pump products lol

Sorry I can’t help with handball, not familiar with what goes on there.

Oh i thought you ment Optimum nutrition(sorry if its illegal to mention product names in forums)

well i choose to go for streching unless someone is going to convince me to go otherwise. because stretching is a very overlooked part of being an athlete in my mind. i actually dont remember last time we were instructed to strech…

Well hopefully it will keep my injury free for a while. And i am going to do calves also…

[quote]blunt wrote:
Oh i thought you ment Optimum nutrition(sorry if its illegal to mention product names in forums)

well i choose to go for streching unless someone is going to convince me to go otherwise. because stretching is a very overlooked part of being an athlete in my mind. i actually dont remember last time we were instructed to strech…

Well hopefully it will keep my injury free for a while. And i am going to do calves also…[/quote]

Haha T-Nation and Biotest and cool enough that we are allowed to talk about other brands.

I might suggest light squats and push presses. It would get the blood flowing to all the muscles and get them ready to move quickly. It would also wake up your CNS better than stretching.

I used to do jumpies before rowing practice to get my legs warmed up and it worked great!

Stretching at least for bodybuilding purposes isn’t suggested since it causes stress on the muscles without creating and growth stimulus. I do not know the benefits for risks outside of lifting though, sorry!

[quote]djwhizkid wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

1. Spelling and perfect grammar aren’t 100% needed all the time on here, but please don’t write in e-thug. Chances are you are white and live in a rich suburb… you aren’t fooling anyone.

aye can i write in e-thug?

[/quote]

Nah dog yous aint aloud. yous a farm boy and a whitey that shite aint kool.

Lol I grew up in DC and while people talked like that they never typed like that, I wonder how people can stand to type like that.