T Nation

New Workout - Strength Goal

Hi,

I recently finished a full cycle on TBT. I got excellent strength gains, but I also got fed up with full body training, so I did 5 weeks of a bodypart split with a mate from the gym. I didn’t really care for it, but I didn’t lose any strength and got a bit bigger. Whatever, it’s done.

Now, I want to continue getting stronger. What I’m aiming for is to increase my relative strength, I’m not too fussed about putting much more weight on. I’m 74kg now at a body fat which allows my abs to be seen when I tense (given purely as a point of reference for you guys - I’ve never had it measured with calipers so this is the best I can give)

my long term goal is to be the same approximate bodyfat at 80kg. I don’t want to do a traditional bulk. I’ve managed to gradually gain weight from 70kg to 74kg, and I intend to do the same to get to 80.

The question : should I

a)Redo another TBT or something similar (ie. full body workout)

b) Have a 3 day split at the start of which I would do either sets of dead, squat OR bench, and then after the compound work the muscle groups which contribue to that movement with exercises more specific to said movement (ie on a day for bench I would do bench, then work shoulders and triceps etc).

Cheers,

-Cloth

PS To reiterate, the goal is developing relative strength. I have no interest in packing on massive amounts of weight to increase absolute strength. I’ve read most of all the contributions from the main authors, so if you’re going to suggest reading a particular author, please be specific with the article.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s something that i’ve missed, but keep in mind that I would have indeed MISSED it, and not just ignored it.

You’re not gonna get stronger without packing on weight on you. If you add 30 lbs to your squat, your legs will get thicker etc. That said, Google Rippetoe’s Starting Strength.

[quote]t3h_Squirr3l wrote:
You’re not gonna get stronger without packing on weight on you. If you add 30 lbs to your squat, your legs will get thicker etc. That said, Google Rippetoe’s Starting Strength.[/quote]

Cheers for the link. But as for not getting stronger without putting on weight, I don’t understand how guys like Cressey can lift so much and not weigh that much. I’ve been under the impression that after a point most of their strength gains must be neurological. So what kind of program allows for that kind of increase in strength?

-Cloth

You’re not gonna get stronger without packing on weight on you. If you add 30 lbs to your squat, your legs will get thicker etc. That said, Google Rippetoe’s Starting Strength.[/quote]

Well not 100% true he can get neurally more effecient. hell look at the tiny lil Asin gals like the Thai taht won the olypics lifting near 3x BW over there heads etc…

But I do agree it will be a slow and slight process.

So I take it you only have three days. Well if TBT gave great results I dont see why you wouldnt do it again. Or you could do an upper lower something Like west side for skinny bastards, or even a more traditional west side or upper lower and alternate the three days one week lower, upper, lower, the next upper lower upper etc.

Many choices bro.
Just pick one and work your butt off,
Phill

Phil, I completely agree about neurological efficiency. Heck, I am experiencing that myself. But at some point you will get as strong as you can at said weight before you need to add size for strength. I can’t see the need to stay the same size unless you’re a weightclass athlete or your job requires you to stay in a certain size.

Thanks for the fast responses guys. The reason I’m not putting on heaps of weight is because I have mild hypertension at age 18 and so also do a fair bit of cardio to keep my cardio system as healthy as possible. As such I’ve found it is far more convenient for me to slowly put on weight over time than to put heaps on then cut and then repeat.

-Cloth

PS Squirrel when I said thanks for the link I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic by implying you didn’t bother to link…i just meant thanks for the article.

Cheers again.

No offense taken.

Phil, I completely agree about neurological efficiency. Heck, I am experiencing that myself. But at some point you will get as strong as you can at said weight before you need to add size for strength. I can’t see the need to stay the same size unless you’re a weightclass athlete or your job requires you to stay in a certain size. [/quote]

I agree 100% add the size get the strength for sure.

Phill