T Nation

New Workout Plan - Suggestions?

I’m 16, and a high school football player looking to add some strength and speed in the off-season. Since my freshman year, i’ve followed programs (poorly) designed by our coaching staff.
They incorporated bench 3X a week with about 3 sets of power cleans a week and then more upper body exercises.

As a result I, (and the rest of my team) have somewhat disproportionately strong upper bodies, so I’m really looking to put on some leg strength. That being said:

Monday Lower:
Squats - Work up to a 3 or 5 RM
Split Squat - 3-4 sets 8 reps
1 Foot Calf Raises - 4 sets 20 reps

Tuesday Upper:
Bench Press - Work up to a 3 or 5 RM
Incline Dumbbell Press - 3 sets 8-10 reps
Cable Rows - 4 sets 8-12 reps
Rear Delt Flies - same as cable rows
Ab Circuit

Thursday Lower:
Deads - Work up to triples of singles
Full Clean - 4 sets 8 reps

Friday Upper:
Pushups - 4 sets to failure
Military Press - 3 sets 8 reps
Pullups/Pulldowns - 4 sets max/12 reps
Chest Supported Row - 4 sets 10 reps
Dips - 3 sets 8 reps

I run Tuesdays and Thursdays and play basketball on Saturdays.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Ab Circuit

You might want to take a look at Westside for Skinny Bastards.

It’s a program Joe DeFranco made awhile back and it has been very helpfull to high school athlets like yourself.

On the other hand, if the program you are on now works for you then stick with it.

I agree with the WS4SB great program

As for your plan not horrid. Now going heavy on DL and Squa each week well I used to be able to as the load got higher nope just TO much and you doing running sprints etc that will likely be the case as well. may think about a day going lighter or just one day and skills, dragging things flipping tires, sprints, etc take care of the rest of the lower. But again you may be able to handle the two days depending on your levels of strenght and recovery.

The upper days not to shabby. I would however make that second day make the OH pressing priority and FIRST, then use the lighter conditioning push ups as a assistance exercise after moving the real loads on the OH press.

What type of running are we talking>??? Id concentrate not on endurance work but sprints etc. lasting from 10 - 30 seconds. a LOT more sport specific. as is sled dragging, carrying heavy things, etc. Not sure the last time you had a play last several miles of jogging if thats the plan but I havent seen any. Go ALL, HIGH intensity and shorter duration, more repetition

best of luck,
Phill

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:
I’m 16, and a high school football player looking to add some strength and speed in the off-season. Since my freshman year, i’ve followed programs (poorly) designed by our coaching staff.
They incorporated bench 3X a week with about 3 sets of power cleans a week and then more upper body exercises.

As a result I, (and the rest of my team) have somewhat disproportionately strong upper bodies, so I’m really looking to put on some leg strength. That being said:

Monday Lower:
Squats - Work up to a 3 or 5 RM
Split Squat - 3-4 sets 8 reps

Tuesday Upper:
Bench Press - Work up to a 3 or 5 RM
Incline Dumbbell Press - 3 sets 8-10 reps
Cable Rows - 4 sets 8-12 reps
Rear Delt Flies - same as cable rows
Ab Circuit

Thursday Lower:
Deads - Work up to triples of singles
Full Clean - 4 sets 8 reps

Friday Upper:
Pushups - 4 sets to failure
Military Press - 3 sets 8 reps
Pullups/Pulldowns - 4 sets max/12 reps
Chest Supported Row - 4 sets 10 reps
Dips - 3 sets 8 reps

I run Tuesdays and Thursdays and play basketball on Saturdays.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Ab Circuit[/quote]

good advice from the guys above me. Definitely go with WS4SB-your program is very similar to it but you have an extra lifting day which would most likely cause overtraining. Also note that cleans should be done before deads, and try them from the hang position instead of the floor (safer on the back). Also add in plenty of unilateral leg work.

You lucky son of a bitch, you found T-Nation while in highschool.

As they said before, DeFranco.

Also make sure you have a nutrition plan. I suggest the following:

Massive Eating Reloaded, Part I
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459429

Massive Eating Reloaded, Part II
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459431

Make sure you read the articles linked with in also.