New Workout Plan Starting from Scratch

I am new to the forums and was referred here by my little brother to get some help with some workout routines. I’ve only been working out (honestly) for a couple of months. Before then, I didnt have that much time to workout because of my job (Air Force and being stationed in Korea at the time) but I tried going to the gym at least 5 times a week (does not include group P.T.) and hit all main body parts to include doing cardio and abs(Air Force members are tested on push ups, situps, and the 1.5 mile run every year soon to be twice a year starting in 2010).

Right now my workout consisted of the following:
Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Arms
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Back
Friday: Shoulders

Today, while I was on here reading some articles and learning what Hypertrophy and all the other bodybuilding vocabulary meant. I think I have a goal in what I want to accomplish even though I am not trying to compete in bodybuilding events. My goal is to gain size, muscle while being active doing cardio because every Monday, we have a run day and all we do on base is run around the track for about 45 minutes (does not include stretching).

I went to the gym today and tried to shock the body by doing the following:

Standing Shoulder Presses: 8 reps 65 lbs, 8 reps 95lbs, 6 reps 95lbs, 5 reps 95lbs
Deadlifts: 7 reps 135lbs, 8 reps 205lbs, 6 reps 205lbs, 7 reps 205lbs
Bench Press: 8 reps 115 lbs, 8 reps 145lbs, 7 reps 145 lbs, 3 reps 145lbs
Squats: 7 reps 115 lbs, 6 reps 125lbs, 6 reps 115lbs, 6 reps 115lbs - I had to drop 10lbs because I messed up on proper form on the second set.
Finally for grip exercise and the gym was closing, I did farmer walks with 2 40lb dumbells with a rag (folded to make the cloth this) twice for 2 sets.

I was tired as hell as soon as I walked out of that gym. Went home took my CellMass for my Post supplement. Forgot to mention that I take BSN NO XPlode for the preworkout. I’ve been taking these for almost 2 weeks now.

I honestly think I made a mistake by doing all these basic exercises in 1 day. At one point I was that guy that claimed I was working hard on squats by doing 3 sets of 10 with 225lbs. After watching videos and learning what proper form meant, I felt like ass. So I dropped all the pounds and did a reality check on myself and now I know I am weak as hell but Im willing to start over and work all the way up. Everytime I go to the gym, I see the guys workout and such but I honestly think most of them arent doing them in proper form.

What workout plan would you guys recommend to help get me started? I am 28 years old, 6’1", 200lbs. Im working on my diet as we speak right now, went shopping the other day and bought some vegetables and foods with about 20-22 grams of protein and oatmeal for breakfast. I also have whey protein (bought from GNC like an idiot) that I take right now that has 20 grams and and the AMP Whey protein (used for post workouts, contains 60 grams of protein).

Again, my goal is to gain size and muscle (maybe reach 220 of muscle a year from now). I also want to be fit cardio wise (more like have to). And finally turn these skinny long arms that I have into huge long arms. I apologize for the long post but hopefully this is enough information for someone to help me out. I can also post pics of myself if that will help too. Thanks for your time.

My advice would be to take a premade program and adapt if you feel you need to.

From your numbers, it seems you are really weak for your size, so I assume you have quite a bit of fat. Am I correct?
So yes pics would help. Your diet should probably be your priority.

chimera182 got it right on the program.

I doubt you need such a split right now. I’d focus more on the big lifts, compound movement etc, ditch the arms and shoulders days and just do a couple set in your other days.
If you want to train more, get some energy system work in there.

That sticky will help you find a program.

As soon as I get off work, ill post some pics up.

As promised, im going to post a pics for the visual heads on here. Here’s me now.

Here a shot of my back

Quad shot

And finally the arm shot. Nyral, you are correct I do have a lot of fat but i promise you im not that weak. Another reason why I came on here, to do something about my body (especially my skinny arms).

Cant forget about the right arm.

[quote]buddylee81 wrote:
And finally the arm shot. Nyral, you are correct I do have a lot of fat but i promise you im not that weak. Another reason why I came on here, to do something about my body (especially my skinny arms).

[/quote]

Well if the numbers you put in your first post are anywhere near your max, then you are pretty weak for your size and that’s simply how it is. Maybe write what are your best numbers are from the recent past?

I feel a Upper/Lower split would benefit you more right now than a full five day split.
Too tired to write much more for tonight but do read a lot from this site, it’s gonna help you so much more than just reading the forums :wink:
Oh and that BSN stuff is overpriced crap. If you want the energy boost from NO Xplode just take caffeine, the “pump” you feel with that product doesn’t do much for you. Stick to the basics for now, whey(protein) and carbs around your workout and good nutrition including plenty of protein.

I agree with Nyral about the split. My advice is to go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and pick up a copy of “Built for Show” by Nate Green. It will explain everything you need to do in layman’s terms. He is also a moderator on T-Nation. Also, stay away from the chow hall, or whatever they call it in the Air Force.

There is a reason why 60% of the military is overweight. The sodium in the food is unreal, and you work so hard, you cant help but to stuff your face at 8:00, 11:30, and 6:00 pm. Traps look pretty good, keep on the deadlifts.

[quote]101airborne wrote:
I agree with Nyral about the split. My advice is to go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and pick up a copy of “Built for Show” by Nate Green. It will explain everything you need to do in layman’s terms. He is also a moderator on T-Nation. Also, stay away from the chow hall, or whatever they call it in the Air Force.

There is a reason why 60% of the military is overweight. The sodium in the food is unreal, and you work so hard, you cant help but to stuff your face at 8:00, 11:30, and 6:00 pm. Traps look pretty good, keep on the deadlifts.[/quote]

lol about the chow hall, ever since I moved here to Hawaii, I havent been to the chow hall. The marine base im stationed doesnt have a dining facility anyway. Definately agree with you on the military being overweight but they’re about to get a reality check come Jan 2010 when those new fitness tests take effect. I will go to barnes and nobles today and look for that book (though im not much of a book reader) and check that out. The deadlifts i know I can do pretty well heavy. The only reason why I lifted with that much weight was because I wanted to do them properly. I know I can do more, but Im more concerned about the form of every exercise I do.

I’ve wasted a lot money on stupid shit over the years, the book was a good investment. I’m also a big fan of… defrancostraining(com) Joe is one of the best in the world and his youtube videos are the shit. Most of the people are not doing proper form, you are correct. They go to the gym and hope people look at them and climax in envy.

I recommend going to the gym, doing proper form, not caring what people think, and then making the ladies climax on Friday/Saturday night. To each his own my friend.

I bought the book online because I didnt feel like going anywhere far. Plus it was 10 dollars cheaper.

Its been a while since I last posted but as I mentioned months back, I bought the built for show program book via ebook and I got started on it 19 Oct 09. As of today I can honestly say that the built for show program has helped me out in so many ways in I cant even imagine.

Right now im in the winter season and every monday, wednesday and friday that comes up, I look forward to working out all the time. Im posting pics up to see if you guys can see a difference compared to the pics above. The only thing that puzzles me is that I still have a gut and i’ve been dieting. I’ve laid off the fast food and sodas and got some actual vegetables and protein. What other exercises could I do on top of the Built for show program to try to make my abs stronger and kill this gut. Also im taking Surge Fuel (suggested during workout) and Surge Recovery (post workout). I was taking Flameout but I ran out.

Im still not sure on what it does but as far as supplements are concerned as its a little too technical for me but im trying to understand. Here are the shots 4 months later.

Edit: Having trouble uploading pics
Me right now…

Good to hear the iron game is working out for you. Working the abs (leg raises, weighted crunches, etc) will strengthen your abs but it won’t necessarily make them more visible. If you really want to get rid of the gut, you should probably do more cardio. BUT in my honest opinion, I would make bulking and/or gaining strength my main concern, if I were you. You’ll appreciate it more when you do decide to truly cut later on.
Keep it goin!

Here we go

Not much difference i noticed there from 4 months ago

Back shot