New Workout Plan Rating

So I’m going from having a reasonably unformulated training plan to a set one. Reasons are:

1. Some days I would do too much work, and then not be able to get to the gym for the next few days.
  2. My joints are starting to get more regularly sore because exercises weren’t selected appropriately.
  3. I would often ignore body parts, and didn’t focus enough on lagging body parts because I would want to do exercises that I enjoyed more (and because I did them often the muscles involved tended to be the more developed ones.

These are the main articles I took into account for this new plan:

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/5_ways_to_boost_testosterone&cr=bodybuilding
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/stripped_down_hypertrophy&cr=bodybuilding
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/12_truths_about_bodybuilding_training&cr=

The aim of this plan is to add muscle without completely ignoring strength, and I’ll probably follow it up until July (when I go on a trip to London, Cambridge, the Scilly Isles, Datrmoor National Park, Berlin and Hong Kong).

My eating will be about 4000 calories. I eat 4 dozen Organic eggs a week, I have fish every day (usually 2 fish barbequed, but sometimes in fish pie, and I eat a lot of tinned tuna), eat as many vegetables as I can, Organic Quinoa, Organic Rye Bread, Organic full cream Milk, salad, nuts, berries, natural Organic yoghurt, and I use a lot of olive and grapeseed oil.

Supplements I take are fish oil, ZMA and creatine. I had decent results with Tribulus terrestris, so I may be getting some more.

Now for the plan (no tempos, and weight raising with each set, the last set ending in failure on last rep):

Monday:

Rack deadlift 5x3
Dumbell Bench Press 4x6
Flyes 3x8 (missing top third of the exercise)
Cable Row (D handle)/Bench row 4x6
Incline Dumbell Curl 3x8
Seated calf raises 4x12

Wednesday:

Back Squat 4x6
Front Squat 3x8
Push Press 6x4
Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press 5x5 followed with no rest by Dumbell Shrugs 1x12
45 degree Leg Press Calf Raises 4x8

Friday:
Deadlift 5x3
Partial Overhead Press 3x8
Flyes 3x8
Dumbell Lateral raises 2x8
Dumbell Rear Delt raises 2x8
Standing Barbell Calf Raises 3x5

Miscellaneous is done at some point on the weekend. This usually includes rope work (like pulling a 4 metre weighted rope up the side of my house), weighted chin ups (I have a chinup bar and chain to attach weight to myself at home), overhead holds, and wrist roller work. This is done throughout the day and isn’t too stressing on the CNS.

Height 6’5"
Weight 190

Any advise/suggestiongs/questions?

i like it, i assume no tricep work due to all the presses?

what are your lagging parts, legs(!)?
Whatever they are, make sure you got enough either intensity or volume depending on if they are lagging in strength or hypertrophy…

i like it alot, you will do well.

Joe

The Partial Overhead Press is the tricep work, and because of all the pressing, yes it’s the only tricep work added.

Lagging parts are chest and calves.

I know there are no direct hamstring exercises, but I always feel my hamstrings get worked from the ATG squats/Deadlifts and to some extent Rack Pulls.

Thanks for the comment

You ever use any joint supps? If I were you I’d pick one up. BTW have fun squating and then front squating on your WED w/o. I personally know that after 4x6 of heavy atg squats the last thing i want to do is more squats. Best of luck to you.

[quote]jdarkraget wrote:
You ever use any joint supps? If I were you I’d pick one up. BTW have fun squating and then front squating on your WED w/o. I personally know that after 4x6 of heavy atg squats the last thing i want to do is more squats. Best of luck to you.[/quote]

Fish oil forms my joint sups. I chose the front squats to go after the back squats because I am more used to a high volume training, and found when I did a 5x5 squat that I couldn’t have raised the weight, and wouldn’t be able to do another 5 squats on that same weight, but if I went on front squat it was fine. This might of course change as the amount I squat goes up.

Any other advice?

Just Do it… :wink:

J