T Nation

New Workout, Is It Too Much?

Thinking about starting this new program do you guys/gals think this is to much? similar to Chad's 25 it is a 3 day a week 5x5 program
Mon
Sq
Bench
B.B.Rows
Tri. ex
Abs

Wed.
Fr Sq
Military
Deadlift
Pullups
Bicep ex
abs

Fri.
Sq
Inc Bench
Row
Tri ex.
Abs.
Is this way to much? any input would be appreciated

I would vary sets and reps something like monday 8x3, wednesday 3x8 and friday 5x5

Overall volume looks fine. Squats 3x a week seems a bit much, especially with only one deadlift day. I don't see anything for traps, calves, or forearms. You have more benching and rowing than military/pull-ups so it's going to skew your development. This program isn't terrible, but it's not optimum either.

Blue9steel any recommendations on how to fix this? maybe drop squats on wed. and add shrugs.

If you're not sure how to put a program together you have three options:

1) Read though this site and select one of the excellent pre-made programs.

2) Read the beginner forum posts on program design so you understand how to put everything together.

3) Slap something together on instinct and then wonder why it's not working right, hehe.

A lot depends on your goals, time avail, training age, etc. Here's the program I'm using right now which is designed for muscle preservation during fat loss:

All exercises 5x5 unless specified otherwise.

DAY 1
Military Press
Pullups
Crunches
15 min cardio

Day 2
Bench Press
Seated Cable Row
Shrugs
15 min cardio

Day 3
Squats
Stiff Legged Deadlifts
Calf Raises
15 min cardio

Day 4
Curls
Dips
Supported Forearm Roller 4x8
15 min cardio

Currently I run a 4 on 1 off 4 on 2 off schedule.

This routine would not be optimum for powerlifting goals, someone on steroids, an advanced training age, or possibly even bulking. For where I'm at it's working well. YMMV.

Move the front squats to firday and take out the back squats.

Add military or something similar to monday.

Add pulups to friday.

Add deadlift to monday, it'll hurt but be worth it.

Don't use straps for anything.

I squat 3x a week, it's a bitch. With proper deloading you can make it work.

Appreciate all of the help fellas

For powerlifting or strength goals I might even recommend that, I was just pointing out that it wasn't balanced with the rest of his program and didn't match his stated objective.