New Weight Lifter, Old Weight Gainer

Hey guys,

So last year I lost almost 100 lbs of fat mass. Before this I was totally inactive/living off pizza and doritos, cut my calories and added an hour of cardio + a few small lifts every day to try to keep a bit of muscle mass. (mostly bench/squats and a few things) I still lost a ton of muscle mass in the weight loss process though.

Past 6 months I’ve been doing a full body workout program, about 4 d/wk + cardio on the off days. I want to work on regaining muscle mass now, but without dipping back into the ocean of lard I was drowning in before.

I was hoping to try a 3 day split
Day 0: Push excercises/Triceps
Day 1: Pull excercises/Biceps
Day 2: Legs/shoulders
Day 3: Rest +/- cardio

I was hoping I could get some advice on how to build a program/what kind of lifts would go well with that format. I’d like to build functional muscle, ideally, and not just focus on pure bulk. Thanks for the help!

How to build a program: Look at the articles tab of this site. TONS of information, easier for you to read up directly from the authors rather than us doing a poor job of regurgitation.

So basically chest/tris, back/bis, legs and shoulders? Not bad honestly. Now just use articles like how to build a damn good program to figure out exercise selection/volume and you’ll be good.

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. I’ll spend some more time sifting through the other articles to get a few more ideas.

[quote]eightohfive wrote:
How to build a program: Look at the articles tab of this site. TONS of information, easier for you to read up directly from the authors rather than us doing a poor job of regurgitation.